IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

8 hours after 14f-trachy/filifera-Central NM

jwitt

Not surprising the Trachy looks fine.  The other one let's hope it holds up.  

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

The dry cold is a bonus, if you want to call it that. Wet/icy/frosty cold is a killer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The dry cold is a bonus, if you want to call it that. Wet/icy/frosty cold is a killer.

Wet, icy, frosty is what it was yesterday and this morning

So far, so good then. Spring is coming.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

17 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

So far, so good then. Spring is coming.

My thoughts exactly! Although we did have -10f on 2/3/2011.  That trachyc survived unprotected. 

While we do have "wet" cold, it is usually of a shortened duration compared to other locales.

Edited by jwitt

12 minutes ago, jwitt said:

My thoughts exactly! Although we did have -10f on 2/3/2011.  That trachyc survived unprotected. 

While we do have "wet" cold, it is usually of a shortened duration compared to other locales.

That trachy has been there for 10 years?  What size was it then?  Maybe needs more frequent water?  Trachy grow fast here.  

3/2019  look at Trachy in back by wall,  maybe 3 foot  - Look at size related to window on right

IMG_1275.JPG

1/2021 8foot  Again compare to window at right

IMG_2176.JPG

Edited by Allen
  • Like 4

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

On 1/27/2021 at 3:09 PM, jwitt said:

Seen teens beginning in October. 5273' elevation. 

20210127_150055.jpg

Looking good.. trachy is looking great.. how many filiferas do you have?

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

On 1/28/2021 at 9:58 AM, Allen said:

That trachy has been there for 10 years?  What size was it then?  Maybe needs more frequent water?  Trachy grow fast here.  

3/2019  look at Trachy in back by wall,  maybe 3 foot  - Look at size related to window on right

IMG_1275.JPG

1/2021 8foot  Again compare to window at right

IMG_2176.JPG

Planted as a 1 gallon. Growing about 1 foot of trunk last 3 years. Only gets lawn water plus about 7" naturally.

On 1/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, SailorBold said:

Looking good.. trachy is looking great.. how many filiferas do you have?

3 filifera. Thanks!

On 1/30/2021 at 12:21 PM, jwitt said:

3 filifera. Thanks!

The trachy looks great..I'm hoping to add trachies this year on the Northside of my house around the patio..if I can get the bed prepared the way I want it.. I have the rain barrel system almost done..so I'm hoping to get them in asap.  Oh wanted to ask if you were still interested in the torc seeds..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

20 hours ago, SailorBold said:

The trachy looks great..I'm hoping to add trachies this year on the Northside of my house around the patio..if I can get the bed prepared the way I want it.. I have the rain barrel system almost done..so I'm hoping to get them in asap.  Oh wanted to ask if you were still interested in the torc seeds..

Ready for some seed. Looking to plant soon.