ExperimentalGrower

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

ExperimentalGrower

Vallejo, CA, (USDA Zone 9b/Sunset Zone 17) Advective freeze last night, with frost. Dew point hovered just below actual temperatures during the coldest hours. Humidity was considerably high for an event like this in Northern California. Generally during similar cold events humidity levels out in my area are consistently quite low. ~70% damage on horizontally exposed leaves. This is a juvenile 5 multiple clump planted last July 4th, 2020 so a pretty dense set of leaves packed into a small area, which coincidentally results in some leaves being exposed and damaged, and others protected and damage free. This clump is under wide open sky near a west facing wooden fence, less than 20 ft from the south facing wall of my house. Somewhat surprised this much damage occurred at those temps but it was advective with frost, on a plants that have been in the ground less than a year so ya...

60655C81-103E-4B72-95A4-E6E63A6D47B0.jpeg

E37333C5-9935-4591-A783-FB0AA1451871.jpeg

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• mxcolin
      By mxcolin
      The leaves on my King Palm fronds seem to stick together at the ends and are attached to something that looks like a small piece of wood. I’m sure it has a name :-)
      They do seem to unstick eventually but those leaves that are stuck appear a little more brown than the others. Should I manually unstick them?

• Rhub
      By Rhub
      Hey all,
      I ordered a bunch of archo alex seedlings in the mail and potted them all. They are all under artificial light.  Half seem to be doing well and the other half are browning and leaves are getting "crispy" . They are all watered at least once a week. The lights don't heat up and the room is on avg 78 degrees Not sure why half are having issues. Any advice or tips? salvageable or too late? I may need to start over and i want to make sure I get it right if i do. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My Archonotophoenix myolensis has produced its first crop of seeds and I have them fresh off the palm, fruit intact for now. Read about this rare, endangered Australian palm below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_myolensis
      See breakdown below:
      Archonotophoenix myolensis fresh seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the Lot
                                                                             100 @ $15.00 for the Lot
      Shipping = $6.00 in padded envelope       I cannot ship seeds outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal. No personal checks
      PM me if you are interested
      Photos
      Fruit and cleaned seeds

Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      First time event in my back yard jungle! My only Archonotophoenix myolensis has the brightest red seeds I have seen in a long time. This native of the Atherton Tableland in Queensland, Australia, may be the rarest species in the genus, according to Palmpedia, and it is endangered. I don't know how many exist in the US.
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_myolensis
      It is by far the smallest and most petite of my Archos and I am excited to have seeds to pass on. See photos below:
      Uncleaned and cleaned seeds

Infructescense on palm

Photos of Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I got Archonotophoenix maxima seeds by the 1,000s that need a new home. This afternoon I was picking ripe seeds off the ground for a buyer when my husband, against my wishes and at great risk to life and limb, climbed a ladder way up to the monstrous infructescenses loaded with ripe seeds and started cutting them down. Down they came while seeds flew all over the ground and seawall and rained into the canal. The ground turned blood red. Sprinklers go off tonight so we grabbed a crate and spent the next hour picking up all the seeds we could find. Now our gain can be your gain.
      Archo max may be the rarest of the king palms in the US. That's unfortunate because it is reputedly the cold hardiest of the king palms, according to Palmpedia, surviving mid-20s with 60% leaf burn. It is also the largest king palm and boasts the largest inflorescenses - I vouch for that. It is also quite fast growing. Check out the link below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_maxima
      If you have ever dreamed of filling your front yard with Archo maximas, this is your chance to do so in only a few years at minimal cost. Seeds are uncleaned because I haven't the time or energy to do so. But they are so ripe they practically clean themselves. Seeds are easy and fast to germinate given plenty of warmth.
      Archonotophoenix maxima fresh uncleaned seeds: First 50 @ $10.00    Additional quantities @ $5.00 per 50 seeds
      Shipping for up to 100 seeds = $5.00   Higher quantities by quote
      I cannot ship seeds outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me for a quote if you are interested
      Photos

Mother Palm