IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Large Majesty Palms north of Jacksonville

JLM

Found a large double Majesty up against a house in the O'Neil area of Fernandina Beach. Not sure when they were planted, but obviously they have been there a while. What are your thoughts?
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6117253,-81.5206187,3a,16.9y,344.18h,92.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYGasPxDmFPv3HVaA8LbnFg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Ive been watching the Majesties that were planted on Hwy 90 here, all of the fronds have died back, and the owner cut all the fronds off. They likely wont make it, but i will watch them through spring. They looked nice while they were there!

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

That is a great find. Gives me hope for my young ones in Jax. They didn’t like 29 degrees F a few weeks ago, but they’re doing okay.

• Like 1

They had a short run in Houston but cannot be anywhere but along the water for more than 5 years. A hard freeze and they are dead.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

2 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

They had a short run in Houston but cannot be anywhere but along the water for more than 5 years. A hard freeze and they are dead.

There are actually some in town that have been there since the 2000s. Some scattered specimens in S/SE Houston too. Total defoliation below 25-26F but the bud is hardy into the low 20s. There are survivors (past 30 years) in areas that are mostly 9b/10a like the warmer parts of Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, etc.

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

11 minutes ago, Xenon said:

There are actually some in town that have been there since the 2000s. Some scattered specimens in S/SE Houston too. Total defoliation below 25-26F but the bud is hardy into the low 20s. Does alright in areas that are mostly 9b/10a like the warmer parts of Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, etc.

pre 2010s? pics from this year or so.?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

6 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

pre 2010s? pics from this year or so.?

Here are some streetview links from palms I stumbled into, can probably find more hidden in 610 heat island if I look deliberately:

The first was already established in 2007:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7538959,-95.3804653,3a,37.6y,196.76h,85.83t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPka_FeX4btdVCKNvhlTIfg!2e0!5s20191101T000000!7i16384!8i8192

This clump was planted in 2014/2015: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7551604,-95.3786949,3a,49.5y,315.06h,81.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sqaOwwmzWTT_HVesLj9i67Q!2e0!5s20200101T000000!7i16384!8i8192

This one near 610 south is probably ~20 years old:

Even found some triangle palms deep in the heat island that are at least 7-8 years old, there was a larger palm on the same property that was probably 20 years that survived 2018 but later died. 

I think majesty palms are similar in hardiness to pygmy dates or just a touch above i.e the foliage is tender but the bud can survive infrequent low 20s. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

As for the topic, coastal NE Florida is way warmer than anywhere on the Panhandle...wouldn't get your hopes up. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Would not thought Majesty’s would make it up here in Fernandina Beach. I am here and on the island and some of the nights this winter have been cool with light frost one morning. This palm appears to be facing Southeast and up against the brick so I am guessing the radiant heat helps.

Zone pushing hard!  They are coastal though (Amelia Island and surrounds is beautiful area by the way).  University of Florida does not have them on their list for North Florida.

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

I still think for some reason cold hits palms differently on the east coast vs Socal.

2 nights ago mine saw 29 and had no damage. No spotting on leaves.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, James B said:

I still think for some reason cold hits palms differently on the east coast vs Socal.

2 nights ago mine saw 29 and had no damage. No spotting on leaves.

This species laughs at 29.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

This species laughs at 29.

Haha!

Ive only had mine in ground 2 years. But there are people in my neighborhood that have specimens over 20 feet tall so they are definitely solid here.

Edited by James B
  • Like 2

This may sound like a  joke, but do you think a Queen palm can survive in the outer banks? I think in Hatteras island, they might actually live for some years in a sheltered spot.

Nothing to say here. 

1 hour ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

This may sound like a  joke, but do you think a Queen palm can survive in the outer banks? I think in Hatteras island, they might actually live for some years in a sheltered spot.

I have never seen a large one north of Charleston, South Carolina. 

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

This is within shouting distance of my former home at 94288 Woodbrier Cir. 

I’ve seen these ones before. They look amazing in person  

They survived the advective freeze in 2018 at ~26 degrees. It killed my p roebellini even though it was protected by house. 

• Like 1

nice find! big for that far north too. most northern I am aware of is one in Saint Simons Island Georgia.  Been there a while

86969456_1497548427070016_2706812651933007872_o.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Most of the outer banks are a zone 8a,  besides Hatteras which is about 8b.  In 2018 Butia and Palmetto were damaged all over the banks and some were killed as far south as Rodanthe.  Some of the CIDP on Hatteras were killed, and all were 80% or more defoliated no matter how good a spot they were sited in.   I can't imagine a queen surviving more then 3 years max.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Almost all of the outer banks is 8b and hatteras has good microclimates in zone 9a

Nothing to say here. 

7 minutes ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Almost all of the outer banks is 8b and hatteras has good microclimates in zone 9a

Hence why in January of 2018, lows were as low as 13f as far south as Rodanthe and 14f in Avon (not including windchill), and Hatteras getting as low as 15f in some areas.  plenty of days below 20f north of avon

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Im talking about Buxton.

165178938_ScreenShot2021-01-27at7_37_39PM.png.96afcaa444ddd3a921c120734ef5d2fa.png

The outer banks start in Sandbridge Virginia, continuing down to Hatteras island including many towns like Kitty Hawk, Nags head, Rodanthe, etc.  Some maps consider Ocracoke part of the Outer Banks, though it usually is considered to start on Hatteras island.   Buxton had a low of 16f in 2018 too...

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Xenon said:

As for the topic, coastal NE Florida is way warmer than anywhere on the Panhandle...wouldn't get your hopes up. 

Here we go agin! If it’s way warmer, then why is it classified as 9A? Wouldn’t “way warmer” put NE Florida to at least 9B? And I’ve actually lived on Amelia Island. It’s warm 9a near the coast. These Majesties in question are 6 miles inland from the coast. 

There are Majesties in Tallahassee that have been there since 2007 as per Google Maps. I’m sure you know the ones I’m talking about. 
Nowhere in Houston is 9b/10a. If that was true the far and few between Majesties that are there wouldn’t have horrible trunk damage on every pic you’ve posted. 
I’m not saying you can just plant them here and forget about them. Of course you have to protect them in some winters, if you want them to look good and not get trunk damage like the ones in Houston and New Orleans you’ve posted about before in other threads.

Edited by Estlander
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Estlander said:

Here we go agin! If it’s way warmer, then why is it classified as 9A? Wouldn’t “way warmer” put NE Florida to at least 9B? And I’ve actually lived on Amelia Island. It’s warm 9a near the coast. These Majesties in question are 6 miles inland from the coast. 

There are Majesties in Tallahassee that have been there since 2007 as per Google Maps. I’m sure you know the ones I’m talking about. 
Nowhere in Houston is 9b/10a. If that was true the far and few between Majesties that are there wouldn’t have horrible trunk damage on every pic you’ve posted. 
I’m not saying you can just plant them here and forget about them. Of course you have to protect them in some winters, if you want them to look good and not get trunk damage like the ones in Houston and New Orleans you’ve posted about before in other threads.

What I said is based on the numbers and observations. If you look at the zone map, zone 9a extends much farther inland in NE Florida than it does in the Panhandle, likewise for SE Texas and Louisiana. You can find large royal palms and Norfolk Island Pine within an hour's drive (<50 miles) of Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville. That doesn't occur anywhere in the Panhandle, I'd love to be wrong though. Average Jan temps in these cities are 2-4 degrees higher as well. The coastal areas (Galveston, Portsmouth, Jacksonville Beach) are way warmer than even the Panhandle barrier islands.  If the Panhandle (incl. the barrier islands) is warmer than I think it is, why are there so few pre-2010 queen palms in the Panhandle? I see quite a few them in 2007 streetview, so the problem doesn't seem to be lack of availability.  Are there any pre-2010 pygmy dates? 

Going by the numbers alone (just the numbers - whether they mean anything or not), there are certainly large swaths of Houston that are 9b and some pockets of 10a for the last 30 years.  Most of the zone 10 stuff which had been growing unaided for 15-20 years in the heat island was taken out by the advective freeze in 2018. There are still plenty of pygmy dates, some majesties, and I recently even found some triangle palms.  Tropical stuff still lives in the bayfront areas and of course the coast. For the sake of nitpicking, zone 9b actually creeps well into the Houston Metro Area even on the current 1976-2005 USDA Zone Map. 

Looks like the heat island is really helping Tallahassee just like it does with the 3 major cities being discussed. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

You can find large royal palms and Norfolk Island Pine within an hour's drive (<50 miles) of Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville. That doesn't occur anywhere in the Panhandle, I'd love to be wrong though. Average Jan temps in these cities are 2-4 degrees higher as well. The coastal areas (Galveston, Portsmouth, Jacksonville Beach) are way warmer than even the Panhandle barrier islands.  If the Panhandle (incl. the barrier islands) is warmer than I think it is, why are there so few pre-2010 queen palms in the Panhandle? I see quite a few them in 2007 streetview, so the problem doesn't seem to be lack of availability. 

Looks like the heat island is really helping Tallahassee just like it does with the 3 major cities being discussed. 

50 miles south of Jacksonville puts you in Palm Coast. Hardly an area that supports Royals and Norfolk Pines long term. They are very much extreme zone pushers there. 
By ‘50 miles from New Orleans’ you must mean Grand Isle -9b.
Yes, there are a number of them there, but again, they’re hardly foolproof there as well. The same goes for Galveston (9b). 9b just ain’t gonna do it long term in the southeast. Climate is not stable enough with too many out of zone fluctuations. 

Unfortunately there is no such thing as 50 miles south of the panhandle, as it’s all water. 
If the panhandle did extend another 50 miles south, then you can bet your ass that Destin, with it’s large bay to the north, would be 9b, and we’d have similar chances of growing Royals and Norfolk pines as the aforementioned locations. 

And as far as Tallahassee is concerned - heat island or not, it’s still 8b, and doesn’t even compare to Destin during bad freezes. 
Majesties are simply extremely bud hardy from the looks of it. Even if they have severe trunk damage, they just keep on going.   

Edited by Estlander

52 minutes ago, Estlander said:

50 miles south of Jacksonville puts you in Palm Coast. Hardly an area that supports Royals and Norfolk Pines long term. They are very much extreme zone pushers there. 
By ‘50 miles from New Orleans’ you must mean Grand Isle -9b.
Yes, there are a number of them there, but again, they’re hardly foolproof there as well. The same goes for Galveston (9b). 9b just ain’t gonna do it long term in the southeast. Climate is not stable enough with too many out of zone fluctuations. 

Unfortunately there is no such thing as 50 miles south of the panhandle, as it’s all water. 
If the panhandle did extend another 50 miles south, then you can bet your ass that Destin, with it’s large bay to the north, would be 9b, and we’d have similar chances of growing Royals and Norfolk pines as the aforementioned locations. 

And as far as Tallahassee is concerned - heat island or not, it’s still 8b, and doesn’t even compare to Destin during bad freezes. 
Majesties are simply extremely bud hardy from the looks of it. Even if they have severe trunk damage, they just keep on going.   

Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville are all quite a bit inland and still seem to run warmer than Destin, a barrier island. I also think we both know that 30-40 miles inland from the Gulf Panhandle is nowhere near as warm as the 3 aforementioned places. It doesn't really matter what we denote as 8b, 9a, 9b etc; the palms are there and have been growing there for a decade or more.  The lack of many large queens and pygmy dates in the Panhandle, even on the barrier islands, is telling.

Bud hardy or not, majesty palms are still nowhere near as hardy as queens. They seem to occur together with pygmy dates. 

Anyways, maybe things will change with the recent string of warm winters. Let's hope it continues. 

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

12 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Most of the outer banks are a zone 8a,  besides Hatteras which is about 8b.  In 2018 Butia and Palmetto were damaged all over the banks and some were killed as far south as Rodanthe.  Some of the CIDP on Hatteras were killed, and all were 80% or more defoliated no matter how good a spot they were sited in.   I can't imagine a queen surviving more then 3 years max.

I would think the Outer Banks would be a good place to ship and plant those large queens like they do as annuals further north.  They would probably last 2-3 years on average before a strong wind event or cold (maybe with freeze drying wind) took them out.

Lulz, the climate battles. "Your climate is more marginal than mine!" "No your climate!" There's a gentleman on Facebook from Georgia in the SE Palms group that kept telling me what survived our freezes and shares photographic evidence. Thanks, I live here.  Don't need photos, saw it myself. :) 

Things are changing in Houston (and Jacksonville, Destin, Tallahassee, etc). Lots of Bismarckia getting planted, other "oddities" starting to show up and stick around. Htown gonna show people the limits of that beautiful palm. If the trends hold up, nurseries and the locals will eventually realize that Majesties make sense here in the right areas, ideally on the south side of the house. The real fun will be when trunking Majesties show up in nurseries. And large B. alfredii. Royals and Kings, probably not except in the warmest spots with the best protection, but who knows.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Xenon said:

Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville are all quite a bit inland and still seem to run warmer than Destin, a barrier island. I also think we both know that 30-40 miles inland from the Gulf Panhandle is nowhere near as warm as the 3 aforementioned places. It doesn't really matter what we denote as 8b, 9a, 9b etc; the palms are there and have been growing there for a decade or more.  The lack of many large queens and pygmy dates in the Panhandle, even on the barrier islands, is telling.

If Nola and Houston are so much warmer then what happened in January 2018? Why did Houston drop to 18-19F? And Nola, with its large lake to the north, to 19F?

Yes yes, I already know, your “tropical” urban heat island and southeastern part stayed at 20F.

While many of your Queens died, ours laughed at that winter. My low was 23.9F. 
And it’s not that somehow Jan. 2018 freeze didn’t affect us as much as it did areas further west like Houston and Nola. It did. Inland panhandle dropped to 19F as well. And Charleston even had heavy snow and 16-14F low. 

The couple of larger size Pygmies in Houston you constantly keep referring to had to have been protected in bad winters. People have to protect them in Jax too if they want them to survive long term. I’ve see plenty of winter street view images of Pygmies in Jax all covered up.

There are A LOT large Queens here and quite a few pre-2010 ones. You just keep ignoring the evidence.  
While you keep glorifying your “9b/10a” Houston climate, there have been other, more honest, forum members from Houston that have shared their experiences with winter freezes there. And their accounts simply do not match with your fantastical stories. From what I’ve read Houston has dropped to 19-18F several times since the 80’s. Destin hasn’t gone below 20F since the 80’s. 

I don’t have a problem with your climate and don’t put it down every chance I get. I simply respond to your talking down about mine. 
You, however, can’t help yourself mentioning how much it sucks here whenever you can, and how warm Houston is. 
Your Majesties in Houston don’t look any better than the ones in Tallahassee of all places, for goodness sake, yet here you are just itching to get a comment in putting mine down. 
Or maybe your comment about not getting my hopes up with Majesties in Destin was based on how poorly Majesties do in Houston’s magical 9b/10a?  In that case, thanks for the reminder LOL. :D
I’m out!!!!!

• Like 1

Y'all seriously gotta stop this climate kitty fight.
Okay, great, Houston has Majesties. Okay, great, Destin has almost the exact same stuff as Houston. Quite frankly, nobody asked. 
This topic was posted because large Majesties were found north of Jacksonville, it wasn't started for y'all to argue over your climates. 
Honestly, i dont really see the need to argue over climates, accept what you have and be done with it.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Estlander said:

Most of the panhandle is 8B with 9a on the direct coast, 2015 damaged Washingtonia and Phoenix species all over with some in Ft. Walton beach getting 80% foliage loss.  Pre 1989 CIDP go up to Charleston SC on the east coast, while pretty much all of the western panhandle have none.  On another note, are there any in Panama City or Apalachicola? Where is the cutoff?  I know of some in Gainesville and Perry

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xenon said:

What I said is based on the numbers and observations. If you look at the zone map, zone 9a extends much farther inland in NE Florida than it does in the Panhandle, likewise for SE Texas and Louisiana. You can find large royal palms and Norfolk Island Pine within an hour's drive (<50 miles) of Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville. That doesn't occur anywhere in the Panhandle, I'd love to be wrong though. Average Jan temps in these cities are 2-4 degrees higher as well. The coastal areas (Galveston, Portsmouth, Jacksonville Beach) are way warmer than even the Panhandle barrier islands.  If the Panhandle (incl. the barrier islands) is warmer than I think it is, why are there so few pre-2010 queen palms in the Panhandle? I see quite a few them in 2007 streetview, so the problem doesn't seem to be lack of availability.  Are there any pre-2010 pygmy dates? 

Going by the numbers alone (just the numbers - whether they mean anything or not), there are certainly large swaths of Houston that are 9b and some pockets of 10a for the last 30 years.  Most of the zone 10 stuff which had been growing unaided for 15-20 years in the heat island was taken out by the advective freeze in 2018. There are still plenty of pygmy dates, some majesties, and I recently even found some triangle palms.  Tropical stuff still lives in the bayfront areas and of course the coast. For the sake of nitpicking, zone 9b actually creeps well into the Houston Metro Area even on the current 1976-2005 USDA Zone Map. 

on another note, the royals of Grand isle and Port Foruchon are impressive, most survived the 2018 cold.

• Like 1

FYI..."Lowest of Record" data as reported by NOAA:

Jacksonville: 7F occurred in January (Period: 1938-2018)

Houston: 7F occurred in December (Period: 1969-2018)

Galveston: 17F occurred in January (Period: 1946-2018)

New Orleans: 11F occurred in December (Period: 1948-2018)

Pensacola (No record for Destin): 5F occurred in January (Period: 1948-2018)

Tallahassee: 6F occurred in January (Period: 1940-2018)

San Antonio (my own locale): -4F occurred in December (Period: 1946-2018) Yikes!

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

1 minute ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

FYI..."Lowest of Record" data as reported by NOAA:

Jacksonville: 7F occurred in January (Period: 1938-2018)

Houston: 7F occurred in December (Period: 1969-2018)

Galveston: 17F occurred in January (Period: 1946-2018)

New Orleans: 11F occurred in December (Period: 1948-2018)

Pensacola (No record for Destin): 5F occurred in January (Period: 1948-2018)

Tallahassee: 6F occurred in January (Period: 1940-2018)

San Antonio (my own locale): -4F occurred in December (Period: 1946-2018) Yikes!

Oh the stories those Nola CIDP could tell, apparently in the 60s, the tallest W Robusta in the USA was in Nola too, 

128267353_141443218_3835660189830998_3350262743209385441_n(1).jpg.0b063a75e9eb5cabbe9eebcded036f4f.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Estlander said:

Destin hasn’t gone below 20F since the 80’s. 

I remember wanting to point this out earlier, but I believe Destin got below 20 in February of 1996. For the life of me, I can't find records for Destin in 1996, and as kinzyjr found on this thread page, it looks like there might not be records that exist for that time (Destin was much less developed then too). However, I've found the Eglin/Valparaiso weather station records for then and here they are (for some reason the weather history on Wunderground is glitching so when I click on Niceville's weather history, it automatically jumps to Pensacola's, so I had to resort to using the Farmer's Almanac Site which gets it's info from the National Climatic Data Center). 

1.thumb.JPG.5d5108d3b543b942915c0cb3555538fb.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.f1f214c84db3cf058b674cf3b1c6bee0.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.2015d89ac08a4206d72f3a2251835e58.JPG

3.5.thumb.JPG.9f5d4a5c5211411036e2ccd21c79ccb9.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.324b1749ba4ca4a1fab281f8669d736f.JPG

4.5.thumb.JPG.474f8747eb4030c6616a0b55328975bd.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.92db02f05ff02ddac02b638ad79378d5.JPG

I highly doubt any coastal location in the FL Panhandle west of Panama City stayed above 20deg in this event. And as seen where I posted the windspeeds for the two coldest days, there was enough wind with this event that the coastal microclimates were not as much in full force. Actually, I checked the early January 2014 event and the wind speeds were about the same as with this event. So take Valparaiso FL which got to 17deg in early Jan 2014, and at the same time the warm microclimates of Destin got to 20 (as the Destin Wunderground station shows), that's a 3 deg difference. So let's say when it got to 14.9 in Valparaiso in Feb 1996, I don't really see how Destin could have been warmer than 18-19 deg. I don't think a Majesty would have survived that event, plus the previous night (Feb 4th) where it got to 18deg near Valparaiso had to still be brutal out at the coast plus higher winds which would have dampened the coastal microclimate even more.

Edited by Matthew92

57 minutes ago, JLM said:

Y'all seriously gotta stop this climate kitty fight.
Okay, great, Houston has Majesties. Okay, great, Destin has almost the exact same stuff as Houston. Quite frankly, nobody asked. 
This topic was posted because large Majesties were found north of Jacksonville, it wasn't started for y'all to argue over your climates. 
Honestly, i dont really see the need to argue over climates, accept what you have and be done with it.

IKR- and I checked records and in Jan 2014 when Ft. Walton/Destin area got into the teens and 20deg right at the coast and then had freezing rain and sleet killing many zone 9 palms, Houston's low temp shows as only 25deg. So I don't see how one event qualifies as trumping someone else's climate. Bottom line sometimes one of two similar climates will gets the short end of the stick winter-weather wise vs. the other. 

And for the record, I'm sorry, but while some look better than others, most of those trunk-tortured Majesties that have limped along in all these zone 9 marginal areas I don't really think of as surviving successfully for all intensive purposes.