Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

Cycas siamensis Dwarf seeds

PalmatierMeg

Do Cycas seeds sink or float when viable?

I have about 8 Cycas siamensis Dwarf seeds that I've tried to germinate for almost a year. They haven't done anything but sit there. Today I took them out of their pot - they still seemed to have some heft - and put them in a tub of water. Right now they are all floating but I am giving them overnight to hydrate. If they are no good I'll compost them.

tropicalb

while i don't consider myself an "expert"...they should sink...doubtful (but not impossible) that they will germinate at this point, but it's never a bad idea to just throw them in the yard...they come up sometimes!

also...while it is usually a good indicator when dealing with cycad seeds (especially encephalartos), the whole "if they sink they are viable" thing is not 100% true...and the opposite is also not 100% true...i've cut more than a few floaters that ended up having embryos in them.

Edited by tropicalb
  • Like 1

amh

Don't throw them away yet, sometimes a germinating cycad seed will float.

Do they rattle and float?

I've had a few viable rattlers that sank, but I haven't had any good floaters.

Paradise Found
2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Do Cycas seeds sink or float when viable?

I have about 8 Cycas siamensis Dwarf seeds that I've tried to germinate for almost a year. They haven't done anything but sit there. Today I took them out of their pot - they still seemed to have some heft - and put them in a tub of water. Right now they are all floating but I am giving them overnight to hydrate. If they are no good I'll compost them.

Palmatiermeg... are they the silver form? I like to try that one! 

PalmatierMeg
21 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Green

Fusca
On 1/26/2021 at 7:33 PM, Paradise Found said:

I'm trying the silver form.  It was sold as Cycas sp. 'silver' which might be a different species.  No idea about the cold hardiness of it though, but it's just a germinated seed with one green leaf in a container and is supposed to be able to handle light freezes.  I wonder if anyone else is growing it and has any additional info?

Paradise Found
On 1/28/2021 at 11:03 AM, Fusca said:

I'm trying the silver form.  It was sold as Cycas sp. 'silver' which might be a different species.  No idea about the cold hardiness of it though, but it's just a germinated seed with one green leaf in a container and is supposed to be able to handle light freezes.  I wonder if anyone else is growing it and has any additional info?

I Think the  C. S. silver form is said to be hardy to 30F. I think starting out green is normal.  As far as hardiness goes, There might be better result from someone else. 

I was planning on getting one cycad sp. silver too come spring.  It will be a potted cycad in my garden. :D

PalmatierMeg

Out of 9 seeds, 1 sank and 8 floated

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Awhile back I posted photos of the first surviving crop of seeds from my Dypsis lanceolata. Those seeds are harvested and ready to go to new homes.
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_lanceolata
      This is a clustering Dypsis but only sparsely so. My palm has two stems and is 8-10' tall. It is notable for its unusually long, arched fronds and wide, rippled leaflets. It is closely related to Dypsis pembana and cabadae.
      Dypsis lanceolata fresh seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot
                                                         100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $6.00 in a padded envelope. I cannot ship seeds or plants outside the US. No shipping to HI.
      Payment via Paypal.
      PM me if you are interested
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My one remaining Dypsis lanceolata has put out its largest crop of red, oblong seeds to date. It has only 2 stems instead of the usual 5 or 6 and stands 9-10' tall. My D. pembana and D. cabadae are much larger and more robust. I wonder if C. lanceolata is more sensitive to my calcareous, alkaline soil even though I mulch it heavily. But it's nice to photograph seeds at eye level for a change. Lanceolata has unusually wide undulating leaves that give it a plumose appearance. See Palmpedia link below:
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_lanceolata
      Dypsis lanceolata, Cape Coral, FL

• SALOttawa
      By SALOttawa
      Hello,
      I just joined the forum today. I have been growing palms for a few years now, but I have always brought them indoors for the winter. This year I decided to try growing 3 varieties of hardy palms: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Washingtonia Robusta, and Chilean Wine Palms. I bought seeds on eBay. I have found good instructions on the TFs and the WRs, but I haven’t found anything reliable on the Chilean Wine Palm seeds. Has anyone had experience growing these from seeds? Some sites suggest breaking the shell off, while others don’t. I have them soaking in water at the present time and I will be planting them on Friday. I am hoping to get some good advice before then. Thanks in advance,   SALOttawa 
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      In January I went to a Buddy Holly tribute at the Cape Cabaret in downtown Cape Coral. On the way in I noticed several apparently "dwarf" trunked Pseudophoenix sargentii shorter than I am planted near the side walk. Two of them had ripe seeds and had dropped many on the ground. On the way home I picked the remaining seeds and took photos. I posted those photos last month in the following topic:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/67082-pseudophoenx-sargentii-dwarfs-cape-coral-fl/&tab=comments#comment-974787
      I questioned whether these palms were actually dwarfed like Areca catechus. Consensus was that they had been kept in pots for many years before they were planted, which resulted in their current appearance, i.e., there are no genetic dwarf P. sargentii. So you should not expect offspring of these seeds to replicate their parents if they are raised normally. 
      In addition you can read a write-up on this species in the Palmpedia link below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Pseudophoenix_sargentii
      I have several hundred seeds of these palms for sale as follows:
      Pseudophoenix sargentii from Cape Cabaret: 50 seeds @ $10.00 for the Lot
      Shipping: $5.00 up to 150 seeds.   No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      A couple photos from my previous topic

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have approx. 400-500 Coccothrinax inaguensis seeds from my mother palm in Cape Coral. This is a rare species confined to a few islands in the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos. It is hardy to zones 10/11. Read about it in the Palmpedia link below:
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Coccothrinax_inaguensis
      The article contains a photo of my palm after it was planted as a 3g. See summary below:
      Coccothrinax inaguensis seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot
                                                           100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $6.00     via 1st class mail. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal. PM me if you are interested
      Photos
      Seeds

Mother Palm