IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Problem with parlor palm

Obsesionplant

Hello everyone. I got this parlor palm as a gift a few months ago. And although she is alive, I notice that she does not seem very happy. The leaves look as if they lack chlorophyll, they are green but faded, you can see even more in the new shoots as weak. it even looks like they're thinner. It has developed brown tips as if it were some fungus although I think the substrate gets too soggy. I hope you can help me and if it is convenient for me to transplant, which substrate is better for palm trees?

20210126_121536.jpg

20210126_121613.jpg

20210126_121631.jpg

20210126_121729.jpg

20210126_121743.jpg

20210126_121759.jpg

20210126_121258.jpg

20210126_121514.jpg

You can just pull the dead ones out to start, and maybe mist it a couple times a week. The brown tips on the leaves can be either from a lack of humidity or using tap water. 

How well does her pot drain? 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

You can just pull the dead ones out to start, and maybe mist it a couple times a week. The brown tips on the leaves can be either from a lack of humidity or using tap water. 

How well does her pot drain? 

Thanks for answering! The pot drains the water well but the soil is usually compact and flooded. The moisture in the pot after watering takes even two weeks or more to dry. I still don't understand why the leaves have little green

1 minute ago, Obsesionplant said:

I still don't understand why the leaves have little green

Is it getting too much light? Mine are about 3ft away from an LED grow light 

20210123_175316.jpg

45 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Is it getting too much light? Mine are about 3ft away from an LED grow light 

20210123_175316.jpg

Yours look beautiful. I loved them. I have mine next to a small window with no direct sun but it's still a bit dark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Obsesionplant said:

Yours look beautiful. I loved them. I have mine next to a small window with no direct sun but it's still a bit dark.

Thank you! I haven't done much to them, just keeping them in a self watering pot and occasionally misting them, and a couple of Jobes palm food spikes every couple months or so. They've gone all Sideshow Bob on me and really need to be split up. 

• Like 1