IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fake Palms in Waco, Texas

EastCanadaTropicals

They have potted Sagos and i saw at least one Trachy in a pot up against the building. Why not just plant the trachy???

Edit: They only have a small grass patch at the back of the building, they have a sago in the ground back there.

Edited by JLM
  • Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

they could plant a mule palm, that is just sad.

• Like 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I like it. It’s an artistic piece that represents a palm but isn’t trying to fake anybody out since it’s not even green. It probably lights up at night to attract customers. 

• Like 15

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

7 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I like it. It’s an artistic piece that represents a palm but isn’t trying to fake anybody out since it’s not even green. It probably lights up at night to attract customers. 

I could not agree more Jim. This is a sculpture that compliments the area void of palms.

• Like 8

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

52 minutes ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

This is just pathetic. This is a southern 8b. 3825 Bosque Blvd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5f9xtgcNG88Tpv578 They might not be able to afford palms, but still, sabals or Trachys would not be that expensive.

why so harsh bro?!?! would they rater put up a metal pine tree? The fact they put up a very nice palm tree sculpture is a great thing.

Stay positive. Palm talk is not about negativity

• Like 9

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I go by there all the time.  There is a Harbor Freight store directly behind it.   They have had large potted sagos for a while.  The metal palm is wrapped in lights.  In their defense the building is on a solid concrete parking lot with no plant beds.  Potted trachys or washys wont get big enough to make an impression.  It does get cold enough in Waco every few years to take out outdoor potted palms.  Then imagine how hot the concrete and pot gets in the Texas summer!  2018 record high summer temp of 114 F was reached.   The metal palm is for the tropical ambience, Its a Snow Cone stand!  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

I go by there all the time.  There is a Harbor Freight store directly behind it.   They have had large potted sagos for a while.  The metal palm is wrapped in lights.  In their defense the building is on a solid concrete parking lot with no plant beds.  Potted trachys or washys wont get big enough to make an impression.  It does get cold enough in Waco every few years to take out outdoor potted palms.  Then imagine how hot the concrete and pot gets in the Texas summer!  2018 record high summer temp of 114 F was reached.   The metal palm is for the tropical ambience, Its a Snow Cone stand!  Just my 2 cents.

Yeah they do have some Sagos at least.

Nothing to say here. 

I think it would be cool if they had a dozen of them!

• Like 2

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

My son is a Baylor University student and lives real close to that place. I've noticed it every time I'm in Waco.  Kind of funny,  not too much of a palm scene in Waco for sure and like others said I'm sure it draws attention to the business.    It's too bad there aren't many palms in the area since there are palms that would do well there.  But it may take extra work there,  it does get very hot and dry in the summers.  Of course they did just get multiple inches of snow a few weeks ago which wouldn't make it easy either.

Edited by Lou-StAugFL
  • Like 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

There are palm trees in Waco.  I've seen them driving up I35, and I am sure there are some tucked away in neighborhoods.  A lot of hotels have big Washingtonias and such planted out front.  Is it Austin or San Antonio, no, but there are still a decent variety of palms that can grow in Waco to maturity.  W. Filifera should be long term viable in Waco.  Like 50 year plus viable.  I have seen 50-70 year old Filifera in Killeen Texas, which is not far from Waco, and I bet if I looked hard enough, I could find at least one in Waco also. 

Edited by NBTX11

I love the sculpture! Not pathetic in the least bit. Very artistic actually, and makes a cheery statement to an otherwise dreary corner. 

• Like 7

Like Jimmy said, the winters get cold and that concrete would cook a real palm in the summer. I worked at an airport when I first moved to Texas, and when the air temps were around 100, temps on the ground were 130+ from all the heat radiating off the concrete.

Also I'm sure that art cost way more than a $30 or $50 palm tree. Thanks for sharing a cool piece of art. 

• Like 4

Hard to do anything to ruin the landscaping in that area. I'm for the metal coconut.

• Like 3

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

At least it wont die in the cold lol

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

14 hours ago, jimmyt said:

In their defense the building is on a solid concrete parking lot with no plant beds.  Potted trachys or washys wont get big enough to make an impression.  It does get cold enough in Waco every few years to take out outdoor potted palms.  Then imagine how hot the concrete and pot gets in the Texas summer!  2018 record high summer temp of 114 F was reached.   The metal palm is for the tropical ambience, Its a Snow Cone stand!  Just my 2 cents.

Exactly what I was thinking.:greenthumb:

• Like 1

I live just outside Waco.  I have 2 Washingtonia hybrids, Palmetto, Mexicana, Chamaerops, in the ground for about 10 years with no problems.  There are scattered palm tree plantings residential and commercially around Waco.  Hotels and restaurants are beginning to use Trachys and Palmettos which are more survivable here.  Most residential plantings are planted from the big box stores and are robustas sold thru the big box store to the public.  Many a robusta had been killed in the past by freezing temps in Waco. Waco Wants Palms!  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, jimmyt said:

The metal palm is for the tropical ambience, Its a Snow Cone stand!

Exactly, and the name of the place is "Cocos".  No chance for a real Cocos nucifera to grow there so a metal one will do nicely!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

• 1 month later...

Remember how we scoffed at the Metal Palm.  Well ours are fried and theirs still stand after Palmaggedon!  I took that picture yesterday as I passed by the snow cone stand after leaving the Harbor Freight store.

D75EAE3A-A8A4-44CA-80BF-B7560E7D9369.jpeg

Edited by jimmyt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Remember how we scoffed at the Metal Palm.  Well ours are fried and theirs still stand after Palmaggedon! 

D75EAE3A-A8A4-44CA-80BF-B7560E7D9369.jpeg

I mean seriously?  Even for a fake palm it's incredibly stupid.  Looks almost like they did the worst looking one for publicity.  I mean I googled fake palms and found a pretty decent one here:

http://www.artificialtree-plant.com/supplier-386695-artificial-palm-trees

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

I mean seriously?  Even for a fake palm it's incredibly stupid.  Looks almost like they did the worst looking one for publicity

I see zero signs of winter damage on it though. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Allen said:

I mean seriously?  Even for a fake palm it's incredibly stupid.  Looks almost like they did the worst looking one for publicity.  I mean I googled fake palms and found a pretty decent one here:

http://www.artificialtree-plant.com/supplier-386695-artificial-palm-trees

They don't post prices either.  I wonder why?  Those are probably out of their price range.  People but what they can afford.

Edited by Reyes Vargas
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

They don't post prices either.  I wonder why?  Those are probably out of their price range.  People but what they can afford.

Its Chinese, so there is probably a domestic drop ship counterpart.

• Upvote 1

Well, at least its fronds blend in with most other palms now! I too see no signs of cold damage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

Wow. People are hating on this specie of palm before they even see it in its full nighttime glory! 

tripleplam.jpeg

Oohhh!  Pretty!  Wouldn’t I be the talk of the neighborhood with those neon palms!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I see zero signs of winter damage on it though. 

Was thinking how hilarious it would be if even the fake palms succumbed to the ice.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Oohhh!  Pretty!  Wouldn’t I be the talk of the neighborhood with those neon palms!

Just add some pink flamingos.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

Was thinking how hilarious it would be if even the fake palms succumbed to the ice.

Took this photo from my office window on day one 

Message_1.jpg

• Like 4