IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Please Help ID this palm

Eric J

Hi everyone this is my first post here I am from Los Lunas NM zone 7a just south of Albuquerque and am interested in growing some palms. We recently took our kids to the Albuquerque zoo where I noticed several palms growing and looking very healthy in the middle of January! Most of what I noticed I think were trachys. Then I noticed this much wider thick trunk palm that also looked really good for the middle of January, and was wondering if someone could tell me what it is . Thanks in advance!31C393CD-A127-43AA-9FDB-493B8196EE5F.thumb.jpeg.afd4ee1e3b007a1b856b9de580a916f8.jpeg8D477FE3-101A-4AC8-B631-A0629471732F.thumb.jpeg.860cff9f3144c7419808086c211e5c29.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Eric, welcome to Palmtalk!

That palm is a Sabal.  Difficult to tell what species (at least for me) except by seed size, but my guess would be Sabal mexicana.

Jon

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

looks like a sabal mexicana to me it would help if we could have pictures of the leaf stems

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 2 months later...

Welcome to PT Eric.  I'm Jimmy.. I live in Rio Rancho....Just saw this thread... I agree with the others.. that is a Sabal Mexicana. I've heard of the zoo palms and even this palm being mentioned before...  ive never seen this variety growing here.. but just looking at how well it's doing.. this looks like a great palm for our area.   Nice.. thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 1 year later...

Made it back to the zoo this weekend almost two years later this tree is still doing really well. It is a lot bigger than the previous photos. I failed to get a picture from far away.

Here is a photo of the seeds from both palmetto and mexicana.  Note how much larger the mexicana seeds (top) are compared to palmetto seeds (bottom).

5bbe419ee3b3b_Sabalseeds.jpg.30383ce7ba44d302714be3b952dfa378.jpg

Jon Sunder