IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

C. seifrizzi winter woes

PalmPilot

Pertinent info: based in Northern California, Robert has been moved (over a slow period of time) to a Westerly facing window (with net curtains) where is his about 1m away so he can get enough sun during the winter. Humidity in the apartment is about 50% which may be too low but I’ve had mold issues so I hesitate to use a humidifier, and spritz him with water in an effort to help.

Hello all. I was hoping the next time I posted would be to share how wonderfully Robert my Bamboo Palm is doing with all the helpful advice given to me, but alas there are still issues. I’ve lost two stalks in the past 4 months and now am likely losing a 3rd. The first two seemed to have dried up, but this one definitely looks like an overwatering issue. So I dug Robert out of his pot and despite my hesitance to get at the roots found that he seemed to be quite rootbound and I think has been since I first got him, which I think definitely contributed, I also went from 50/50 peat/cactus mix to more like 30/70 because the soil continually held water despite me moving him near to a sunnier window. I’ve seen on this forum mention of the 5-1-1 method which I will definitely be looking into in the growing season as I plan to move him to a bigger pot so his roots don’t get all tangled again, I couldn’t even really find the roots for the stem that is having issues because there was such a mass. 
I’ve attached pictures of the stem in peril and am wondering if there’s any way to save it, it’s got healthy growth at the top but I’m guessing it’s a lost cause by now. I also have another stem whose bud has not opened despite being there for over two months and just seems to be kind of dying, while the rest of the new buds seem to be doing fine! Any thoughts on these two separate issues? I now have palm gain fertilizer which I used about a month ago and don’t plan to for another few weeks at least to avoid burn, and also have earthworm castings which I’ve heard are a great source of nutrients.

photos:

CB4A39E6-D5E8-4E61-8089-7B2CBB01C8A2.thumb.jpeg.8640233f03e346916fa511641efee413.jpeg
mushy stem :(669DAE61-6AA5-4027-A246-2D1D7B86D67D.thumb.jpeg.6e860118b94813c25e36e04a6c99b5d2.jpeg

his roots after much detangling, some you might be able to see near the top were wrapping themselves around and I tried to carefully unwrap them as I was worried about them choking off other roots.47E89D50-10C8-4CE9-8CE4-79E547BFCE56.thumb.jpeg.265d52a0a37b0203471b98f3e6382cf5.jpeg

the fertilizer I’m using

80DB604F-2A0E-4666-9F18-6A8829931341.thumb.jpeg.049fb407c539777733ae905836bc30ac.jpeg

his one bud that has been stuck, you can see there’s another that seems to be healthy growing out from the stem0D60D80F-6F9F-4AD4-B18A-9BD58CE0DB0C.thumb.jpeg.1a0ee3d96d8a90a6f392d4d577cb8815.jpeg

Apologies if I’m using incorrect terminology, I’m still very new to this and love Robert dearly and really want him to thrive instead of being so inconsistent and sad. Thanks again to those who have offered guidance in the past, hope you’ve all had a great holiday season!

I'm not 100% sure what species Robert is - but it looks like multiple Roberts in a single pot. If so, maybe splitting them up would help? 

6 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm not 100% sure what species Robert is - but it looks like multiple Roberts in a single pot. If so, maybe splitting them up would help? 

Robert was previously identified here as a Chamaedorea Seifrizii and is a clustering palm so I think he’s supposed to be dense like that. Thanks for responding!

2 hours ago, PalmPilot said:

Robert was previously identified here as a Chamaedorea Seifrizii and is a clustering palm so I think he’s supposed to be dense like that. Thanks for responding!

I'm really sorry, its in the title and it's tagged. I blame my covid meds :floor:

I hope Robert pulls through and keeps growing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm really sorry, its in the title and it's tagged. I blame my covid meds :floor:

I hope Robert pulls through and keeps growing. 

Hahaha no worries at all! I’m not on covid meds and I misread stuff half the time! And oh gosh I wish you a swift recovery!

Thank you, I really do adore him and would be so sad if I had to give him away to save him.

• Like 1

Tough to see what the issue is, but palm roots should be tangled and palms do generally like to be rootbound.

My best advice would be to put this plant outside in shade for '21.  Even Chamaedorea/shade palms do better outside, and this species is entirely cold hardy in your location.  Better yet, plant it in the ground and watch it explode.

Greetings from further out in the EB!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

8 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Tough to see what the issue is, but palm roots should be tangled and palms do generally like to be rootbound.

My best advice would be to put this plant outside in shade for '21.  Even Chamaedorea/shade palms do better outside, and this species is entirely cold hardy in your location.  Better yet, plant it in the ground and watch it explode.

Greetings from further out in the EB!

Unfortunately I’m not in a position where I can put Robert outside. No garden or outside area. But thanks for letting me know about the roots, they had basically sealed the bottom of the pot which is the only reason why I messed with them but good to know they actually like to be rootbound.

An addendum: two of the big fronds on another stem collapsed today so it looks like the trunk isn’t thick enough to support them. Will the problems ever end. :( 

36 minutes ago, PalmPilot said:

An addendum: two of the big fronds on another stem collapsed today so it looks like the trunk isn’t thick enough to support them. Will the problems ever end. :( 

I’m honestly so worried about Robert that if this continues I would hope to find a better home for him. I love this palm to bits and I feel like if I can’t take good enough care of him that it might be best to try find someone in my area who can give him a home that would suit him more than what I can give. It pains me to say that but I’d much rather have the plant do well elsewhere than be someone who let him wither away. I don’t know if this sounds too sentimental but I feel everyone here cares about their plants to the same degree I do and understands this predicament. 

6 hours ago, PalmPilot said:

Collapsed midway up the trunk or at the soil line?  If it's at the soil line it's likely due to repotting.  The roots need to grow back in to re-anchor the plant.  May just need to be staked.

Also, I'm certainly no expert on potted palms, but that mix seems really heavy on peat.  If your using MG palm/cactus mix it already has a bunch of peat in it plus the extra you're adding.  The palms that I do have in pots (albeit all kept outside) are all in a mix of 50% cheap bagged garden soil and 50% turface mvp.

2 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Collapsed midway up the trunk or at the soil line?  If it's at the soil line it's likely due to repotting.  The roots need to grow back in to re-anchor the plant.  May just need to be staked.

Also, I'm certainly no expert on potted palms, but that mix seems really heavy on peat.  If your using MG palm/cactus mix it already has a bunch of peat in it plus the extra you're adding.  The palms that I do have in pots (albeit all kept outside) are all in a mix of 50% cheap bagged garden soil and 50% turface mvp.

The fronds up top collapsed.

I’m not using MG but good thought!