IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms for goa zone 13

climate change virginia

My family in goa india was asking for some palm suggestion nothing too big nothing too small typhoon resistant. Thanks :)

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Just by looking at photo spheres in the area, there appears to be quite a few options.

goa.PNG

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

9 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

My family in goa india was asking for some palm suggestion nothing too big nothing too small typhoon resistant. Thanks :)

You can grow anything there.

• Like 1

Nothing to say here. 

9 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

Coconuts.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, Neil C said:

Manila (Christmas palm) are medium sized and tropical. Coconuts are too tall and prpbably everywhere there already.

He mentioned typhoon resistant. I thought Cocos nucifera were the go to palms for such a task.  Just sayin'

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Cyrtostachys renda. Lots of them. 

• Like 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Cyrtostachys renda. Lots of them. 

it might melt away in south india they get 91f days all the time

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Just now, climate change virginia said:

it might melt away in south india they get 91f days all the time

Believe me that will not bother them. They’re equatorial from Singapore area southern Malaysia. Heat and humidity is what they want. Those away from the tropics can only dream of growing them.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Believe me that will not bother them. They’re equatorial from Singapore area southern Malaysia. Heat and humidity is what they want. Those away from the tropics can only dream of growing them.

oh I got confused with this and Ceroxylon parvifrons they are different palms because it said wax palm that is what I thought

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

1 minute ago, climate change virginia said:

oh I got confused with this and Ceroxylon parvifrons they are different palms because it said wax palm that is what I thought

No problems. I agree. No Ceroxylon would last more than 20 minutes in Goa. It’s proper tropical.

13 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

You can grow anything there.

Except most things desert-native or cool-weather loving or generally intolerant of 10 feet of rain in a three month span.

But I do agree the possible selections are very large.

• Like 2