IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Adult Butia x Jubaea in Columbus, Georgia

EastCanadaTropicals

I found this house for sale in Columbus and checked it on google street view.

0a0f7b6b3fc1e2c8546fd76e844ebcfbl-m1xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Nothing to say here. 

this is the same city that the show family reunion takes place

• Like 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I think that’s just a normal Butia species (or hybrid between Butia species), you see them like that all over the southeast coastal plain. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 2

PalmTreeDude

27 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I think that’s just a normal Butia species (or hybrid between Butia species), you see them like that all over the southeast coastal plain. 

The fronds are not as folded as Butia. Its definitely a hybrid. I've seen photos of Butia x Jubaea and this closely resembles those photos. Theres still boots on the top but its probably more Butia leaning, like an F3 of F4.

Edited by EastCanadaTropicals

Nothing to say here. 

26 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Butia x Jubaea is a hybrid.

Nothing to say here. 

it looks like a plain old butia to me

Edited by climate change virginia
  • Like 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

4 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

it looks like a plain old butia to me

The fronds are different, its probably an F3 or F4, which have less Jubaea DNA. 

Nothing to say here. 

It's a plain Butia. These are all over Houston. They look dramatically different depending on lighting. I see ten or more on my drive to work. This one looks like it gets a fair amount of shade.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Plain old Butia.  Hybrid palms are a real rarity, most of the people who have them are on this forum.B)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Chester B said:

Plain old Butia.  Hybrid palms are a real rarity, most of the people who have them are on this forum.B)

Yes, for now! I started seeing them at the local big box stores last year!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swolte said:

Yes, for now! I started seeing them at the local big box stores last year!

Weird, it looks more like a hybrid.

Nothing to say here. 

I had walked by this palm many times.  I thought for sure it was too massive to be just a regular old Butia. It even had purple flowers and the trunk is self cleaning at the base.  However, I found some dropped male flowers underneath... only six stamens on all that I looked at.  Even found a couple of the dried up old seeds, and they were Butia sized (not larger like even F3s or more show).

"Just" a massive pindo. 

WP_20150523_010.jpg.082a3f9728c2dab5227d2dd06503b1d5.jpg 

Edited by Joe NC
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe NC said:

I had walked by this palm many times.  I thought for sure it was too massive to be just a regular old Butia. It even had purple flowers and the trunk is self cleaning at the base.  However, I found some dropped male flowers underneath... only six stamens on all that I looked at.  Even found a couple of the dried up old seeds, and they were Butia sized (not larger like even F3s or more show).

"Just" a massive pindo. 

WP_20150523_010.jpg.082a3f9728c2dab5227d2dd06503b1d5.jpg 

that is.. breathtaking

• Like 1

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

These two are separated by one street, but one is densely shaded and the other is in full sun. This is an extreme example of how lighting affects these palms. And then add in the variability intrinsic in the species... there's tons of chunky ones like Joe shared.

IMG-9900.JPG

IMG-9898.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/20/2021 at 5:07 PM, climate change virginia said:

this is the same city that the show family reunion takes place

Is "show" a surname? Verb? Adjective? Not sure what you mean.

I can confirm that similar butias with stout trunks are all over Mobile. (Judging by their appearance in humbler neighborhoods, I suspect they might have been cheaper in years past.) They're common enough in the landscape that I'd be surprised if there were Jubaea parentage. By the way, an informal survey of lifelong residents here reveals that nobody has ever had jelly from a jelly palm. In fact, nobody has ever heard of making jelly from the fruit. They briefly feign interest and then the conversation moves on.

7 hours ago, Manalto said:

Is "show" a surname? Verb? Adjective? Not sure what you mean.

I meant the show 'family reunion' takes place here in Columbus Georgia. sorry about my grammar :)

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson