IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clumping palm gone solo

Tracy

Sometimes we plant a clumping palm and for whatever reason only one stem survives.  In this case it was a Dypsis onilahensis which I kept in a pot forever and became root bound.  At one point it had 3 stems but two died before I finally got around to planting it in the ground after several years in the same 3 gallon pot.  It does make for a nice solitary palm for a small space though.  It's not the only clumper I've abused and ended up with just one trunk.  Anyone else guilty of my sin?

20210119-BH3I2265.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

that looks like the weeping willow of palms I like it

Edited by climate change virginia
  • Upvote 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Does this old Cat count? After about 25yrs wind snapped off most of them, another one of my 'past it's prime' plants.

20210120_110341.thumb.jpg.5ae6401d8de59295a32257df8509697f.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Cool palms. I have a European fan palm that I bought as a single trunk specimen. It never did produce any off shoots. I went ahead and planted several more smaller already clumping Europeans around it. After planting I realized I liked the clumped look better. 

• Like 1

Well Tracy, of all the sins one could commit, yours is way down on the list. At least the palm survived and looks pretty dang good!

I’ve neglected potted stuff, more than I’m willing to admit, and wouldn’t have been surprised to receive a call from Palm Protective Services. 

Tim

• Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

48 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Don't be surprised when it starts to put out suckers again.

After about 5 years in the ground now as a solo, I will be shocked if this D onilahensis puts out any new suckers.  Not that it couldn't happen.  I have a Dypsis pembana that was abused during our 2013/14 remodel year; painters thought the well around it was a great place to wash their brushes, followed by the tile workers using the depression around it to wash the grout off their tools.  It was a triple sucker when I planted it in 2010, but only one survived the paint and grout.  Today the one remaining D pembana trunk remains healthy but there is no indication that it will ever put out a sucker either. 

27 minutes ago, Tracy said:

After about 5 years in the ground now as a solo, I will be shocked if this D onilahensis puts out any new suckers.  Not that it couldn't happen.  I have a Dypsis pembana that was abused during our 2013/14 remodel year; painters thought the well around it was a great place to wash their brushes, followed by the tile workers using the depression around it to wash the grout off their tools.  It was a triple sucker when I planted it in 2010, but only one survived the paint and grout.  Today the one remaining D pembana trunk remains healthy but there is no indication that it will ever put out a sucker either. 

I have had my fair share of contractors washing off tools and such into my garden. Years ago, I decided to let them it was not a good idea.....that I would charge them for clean up!

It's only happened once since then. Also, I show them all of my cameras recording them. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Weeping onilahensis take a while before they sucker.   My friend's just started suckering now, after like 7 years in the ground.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 1/22/2021 at 6:21 PM, joe_OC said:

Weeping onilahensis take a while before they sucker.   My friend's just started suckering now, after like 7 years in the ground.

I guess the difference is that mine was clumping in the pot and then after leaving it in there the suckers died before I put this one in the ground. 

On 1/22/2021 at 3:45 PM, Tracy said:

I have a Dypsis pembana that was abused during our 2013/14 remodel year; painters thought the well around it was a great place to wash their brushes, followed by the tile workers using the depression around it to wash the grout off their tools.  It was a triple sucker when I planted it in 2010, but only one survived the paint and grout.  Today the one remaining D pembana trunk remains healthy but there is no indication that it will ever put out a sucker either. 

The now solitary Dypsis pembana is above and behind the Burretiokentia in photo below.

20210124-BH3I2420.jpg