Sign in to follow this  
Bill H2DB

Thrinax Radiata in Daytona Beach area ( Holly Hill )

Bill H2DB

January 19 , 2012   Morning pics of my tall Thrinax Radiata .

It's had some various leaf damage over the years .  It is on the South side of the house , and under a 350 year old

Live Oak high canopy aka " Big Bertha " .

50852527156_097158e7a4_c.jpgThrinax Radiata Jan 2021 g\h by Bill H, on Flickr

50852622017_2f0b0883d1_c.jpgThrinax Radiata Jan 2021 f by Bill H, on Flickr

50852621872_9f77f2dcb3_c.jpgThrinax Radiata Jan 2021 d by Bill H, on Flickr

50852526876_b7447729c7_c.jpgThrinax Radiata Jan 2021 a by Bill H, on Flickr

• Like 17
  • Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Great palm, Bill. I can't see a Thrinax radiata without smiling. They remind me of a friendly, floppy dog.

• Like 3

donalt

one of the most exotic palms!!!

• Like 1

Lou-StAugFL

Wow beautiful palm glad to see it so successful in Volusia County.  Planning on giving it a try a little further north under oak canopy here in St. Augustine in the spring.

• Like 1

Reeverse

Bill it's a Beauty! Cant believe how big it is. You have a killer palm garden. Hows the race car doing 

• Like 1

Mr. Coconut Palm
On 1/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, Bill H2DB said:

January 19 , 2012   Morning pics of my tall Thrinax Radiata .

It's had some various leaf damage over the years .  It is on the South side of the house , and under a 350 year old

Live Oak high canopy aka " Big Bertha " .

50852527156_097158e7a4_c.jpgThrinax Radiata Jan 2021 g\h by Bill H, on Flickr

50852622017_2f0b0883d1_c.jpgThrinax Radiata Jan 2021 f by Bill H, on Flickr

50852621872_9f77f2dcb3_c.jpgThrinax Radiata Jan 2021 d by Bill H, on Flickr

50852526876_b7447729c7_c.jpgThrinax Radiata Jan 2021 a by Bill H, on Flickr

Really nice Thrinax radiata, Bill, especially for that far north.  Mine is still only about 7ft. tall in overall height after being in the ground for about 5 years, but I think if I watered it more, it would grow more.  You have the benefit of almost twice as much rainfall per year as I do, but our wintertime temps are very comparable.

John

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• aztropic
      By aztropic
      Now that our temps have finally settled into the lower 100'sF in the Arizona desert, Caribbean species are starting to flower,en masse! First up is Pseudophoenix sargentii. (all pics taken just now)

aztropic
      Mesa,Arizona

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Still quarantining here in Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise), FL. And it's been a while since I posted any photos. I spent several weeks sewing masks and surgical caps for my son and daughter-in-law on the medical front lines as well as masks for my husband and me. It's also been hot and sweltering as well as drought stricken around here and because of that and that the monthly injection I give myself for chronic migraines ran out a week early, I was unable to spend much time outside. But..... We got a whopping 0.4" of rain this past week (the rest of the FL got 10x that) followed by one last gasp of cool, dry air and I was able to rectify my oversight and take some photos.
      About a month ago someone on PT asked me to take updated photos of my Caribbean Garden in front of the house. Around 95% of the palms in this garden come from that part of the world. The few interlopers are grandfathered in because they were planted before I adopted a unifying theme for this part of the yard. The genus Coccothrinax forms the backdrop. Some of them were planted as far back as 2004 and have weathered multiple hurricanes and tropical storms. If I were forced to plant only one genus of palm, Coccos would be my choice. They are tough yet elegant and the sight of those starlike leaves swaying with the breeze can brighten anyone's soul.
      Caribbean Garden Views, Cape Coral, FL, 2020

• PalmMom007
      By PalmMom007
      Hi there,
       Thrinax radiata seedlings for sale 

1g: $10 per Seedling. 
      Shipping depends on location. 

Bundles available.

• Sabal Steve
      By Sabal Steve
      Here's a modest little strip, that I'm working on.  Who else is growing Caribbean species here?
      Left to right: Copernicia macroglossa, Copernicia baileyana, Cocothrinax fragrans, Thrinax radiata/(sold as L. morissii).  These have done well over the last 2-3 years, so I'm now emboldened to try new species. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      A little before 5:30 while the sun was sinking I looked over at my Caribbean Garden and saw a jungle of palms - mainly Coccothrinax - in the waning light. I grabbed my camera and hustled to take the folowing photos. The place looks shaggy and overgrown but that's intentional on my part. The canopy of overlapping leaves protect the palms beneath. While fronds may end up torched, growing points survive.

This has been a strange winter. So far, the ultimate low was 41.2 about 10 days ago. But it has been cloudy, chilly and raw for days on end. That is not normal. The whole month of Jan. was like that. The sun didn't come out to stay till yesterday. From 40s/50s/60s we are seeing highs in the mid-80s. Long may it last.

Anyway, the photos:

The Caribbean Jungle

Coccothrinax Azul - The blue wax on the leaves turns yellow even during chilly spells. I've had this palm in the ground 9 years. Very slow