IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gratuitous palm shot

Steve Mac

Just for the people who have not grown a Chamaedorea woodsoniana, but know how big a foxtail can get (too big), 

well, it is probably the tallest Chamaedorea and it is not too happy since it punched through the maple canopy, which has subsequently disappeared.

It is about 20'high and like me, past its most attractive age.

20210117_133741.thumb.jpg.fcd6666ad343e2c7596bb4b67995aee0.jpg  

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Oh man Steve, your post gave me a chuckle. I can so relate to the adage at the bottom of your posts. Palm pic is pretty amazing as well.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks mate, I really just wanted to show people how tall a Chamaedorea can get.

Who else has a tall Chamey?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 1/18/2021 at 9:43 PM, gtsteve said:

Thanks mate, I really just wanted to show people how tall a Chamaedorea can get.

Who else has a tall Chamey?

So many of mine are so tall that you can barely see their canopies but at least the trunks add interest to the garden when there are a few close together. 

CC49FCD3-F97C-43CF-97FA-FCA09EB30839.thumb.jpeg.38917c965964e1b9d6c4014dfa2ecec4.jpeg

B2EE8DE4-FDA4-4464-95E8-1CA29D8015E8.thumb.jpeg.fda652de22180b54ff7c1495ff03b270.jpeg

4F67FF2D-E271-4496-AF48-0A1C171FA2DE.thumb.jpeg.69d2a1346cc83cdad1e27208622aa7d1.jpeg

• Like 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

20 hours ago, Fusca said:

Snakes also add interest to the garden!  :lol:

My dad hangs rubber snakes on the trunks of his mango and kumquat trees in a desperate attempt to scare off squirrels and birds!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

16 hours ago, Fusca said:

It's not a snake - I think it's just some rope that he's using to tie the Chamaedorea trunks together.

Oh it’s a snake alright...just not a live one. I move a couple of them around occasionally to “spook” the rats that sometimes are present in the yard. 

678CECC8-5F44-4996-BE47-C64E3ED695F8.thumb.png.86bb999048557bb7b0c929697bfddf7b.png

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

1 hour ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Oh it’s a snake alright...just not a live one. I move a couple of them around occasionally to “spook” the rats that sometimes are present in the yard. 

Nice idea!  :greenthumb:  I saw that a couple of trunks were tied together on the left and assumed that it was the same thing.

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder