IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Breaking the emotional tie.....

Stevetoad

The time has come. My small yard is or should I say has been getting to cramped. I need to start editing out some large palms. I dont know if you guys feel the same but I feel attached to these green friends. Many of them I grew from tiny little one gallons and to cut them down while they have grown so well is a little sad. I have one bizzy that has to go. Its about 20 feet tall and has never looked good ( i have 2 more that look perfect). A really nice acrocromea that has about 8 feet of trunk that is a literal pain in the butt but looks great and is now flowering ( this one hurts to have to get rid of). Brahea brandigeii, 2 kentias, one mule ( I probably wont cut this one down but i should) and a few fruit trees like guava and stuff. This has been the plan all along , let them grow and be canopy just to cut them down later but its not going to be as easy as I thought. 

• Like 11

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Can you dig any out? Might be more satisfying to transplant them to another enthusiast's garden.

I am probably seven or eight years behind you but will eventually face the same problem.

I sympathize,  I have removed 3 adult Rhopalostylis, because they became too tall to tie up the fronds against uncontrolled fall.  The largest one had 24 feet of trunk below the crownshaft,  I grew it for 37 years.  (a further bite, they were too big for me to handle, and I had to pay $1900 for a tree service to do the removal.)  :(

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

Just now, necturus said:

Can you dig any out? Might be more satisfying to transplant them to another enthusiast's garden.

I am probably seven or eight years behind you but will eventually face the same problem.

I wish I could as I would much rather see them live on. The problem is mostly damaging the roots of the surrounding plants. I've done a big dig out once and killed a parajubea that was next to it. These are all within about 4 feet from the next plant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

11 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

I sympathize,  I have removed 3 adult Rhopalostylis, because they became too tall to tie up the fronds against uncontrolled fall.  The largest one had 24 feet of trunk below the crownshaft,  I grew it for 37 years.  (a further bite, they were too big for me to handle, and i had to pay $1900 for a tree service to do the removal.)  :(

Yeah, this is my fear as I can take these down myself right now but they will be out of range very soon. 

• Like 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

1 hour ago, Stevetoad said:

Yeah, this is my fear as I can take these down myself right now but they will be out of range very soon. 

Best to do it when you have some control over the outcome.  As close as you say they are to other palms you want to retain, there is no guarantee that if you wait and pay someone to do it, they will be as careful with your adjacent plantings as you will be.  I can relate.  I have been eating home grown bananas the last few mornings from clumps that I'll eventually remove because they were originally planted as quick shade plants.   Close your eyes and move ahead.  When its all done and your remaining plants stand out due to less crowding, you will come to appreciate the new look too!  Sometimes it just has to be done.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

When its all done and your remaining plants stand out due to less crowding, you will come to appreciate the new look too!  Sometimes it just has to be done.

I was working at the limit of a 28 foot extension ladder to tie up the Rhopie fronds.  It's a relief, and somewhat liberating, not to deal with this problem any longer. 

4 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

The time has come. My small yard is or should I say has been getting to cramped. I need to start editing out some large palms. I dont know if you guys feel the same but I feel attached to these green friends. Many of them I grew from tiny little one gallons and to cut them down while they have grown so well is a little sad. I have one bizzy that has to go. Its about 20 feet tall and has never looked good ( i have 2 more that look perfect). A really nice acrocromea that has about 8 feet of trunk that is a literal pain in the butt but looks great and is now flowering ( this one hurts to have to get rid of). Brahea brandigeii, 2 kentias, one mule ( I probably wont cut this one down but i should) and a few fruit trees like guava and stuff. This has been the plan all along , let them grow and be canopy just to cut them down later but its not going to be as easy as I thought. 

Just like you, I have had to remove plants over the years and it's just not easy. We take great pride in our gardens but they evolve and require us to intervene at times. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

I was working at the limit of a 28 foot extension ladder to tie up the Rhopie fronds.  It's a relief, and somewhat liberating, not to deal with this problem any longer. 

Brave man......

I use to have a regia that I tried to manage by tying up the fronds. I ran out of ladder. :D

• Like 1

Yes, removing a tree that we have cared for, for years is sad.

We need to cut down our lovely big foxtail. It is on the borderline (and fence line) of what I can do as opposed to next year when I would not be able to.

Still to be positive, we have enjoyed our big palms for all these years haven't we...   :crying:

• Like 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I feel your pain the nitida was the first tree I planted was run over with a large front end loader was beautiful and provided a lot of shade was planted before I fell in love with palms, it’s roots are to aggressive we’re destroying pipes and my pond so down it came. My fishtail will probably bite the dust but already planing to plant a lot of palms.

A3420ADC-793C-4371-B255-0A05F5782212.jpeg

F24327D9-8D1D-43CC-B1D2-23E2C1C227A4.jpeg

Hi,

I absolutely understand your feelings even if I still consider myself a youngblood in gardening. I know for sure that I have to make some decisions in the future since I am still packing up my small garden. 

I have already pulled out a few of my palms to make space for the more rare ones I am growing but 

it is/was never an easy thing and will probably never be.

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 1

All of my royals where grown from seeds from a royal I had at another home. I have been killing select ones as it has become to much to manage, as much as I feel for and love these palms I over planted and must remove some so I can continue to maintain my garden.

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I know what you mean!  I had an Adonidia triple that was one of the first palms I planted.  One trunk was doing great, the other two not so much.  Then the other two decided to die, and it looked like maybe Thielaviopsis.  Initially I really wanted to save the last one, since it was more or less healthy-looking.  I really did NOT want to cut it down, but realized it was probably already infected and was only going to serve as a breeding ground for fungus...and kill other stuff nearby!  So I reluctantly took a sawzall to the base and chopped all three out.

• Like 1

I am doing something close to it. Lack of space in a overcrowded yard. Cut two rhopalolostylis sapida and one of a double oceana. 
I have also cut queens previoulsy planted to protect small and tender palms.

• Like 1

I totally get where you're coming from. I have a small yard and I know down the road I might have to edit some. Personally I tried to plan it out but even then it's hard to picture what everything looks like years later. For me I remove something that doesn't look great to make room for something else. 

A lot of us overplant. It’s the nature of the hobby. I’ve removed a number of mature palms, mostly really common stuff like several 20 foot plus tall Trachycarpus fortunei, over crowded Chamaedorea radicalis tree form, several King and Queen palms, a really big Caryoto gigas, and even a big rare trunking Syagrus x Butia x Jubaea. The jungle thrives however and there will likely have to be a few more to go in the future. 

• Like 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Yes I agree overplanting is very common here on palmtalk.  We see those little ~3g palms and just misjudge how big they will be one day.  I had 3 palms getting too close tangled crowns and I edited the one with the most contact with the other two.  It happened to be a sabal mexicana(I think) that was sold to me as "sabal lisa".  That one was not my fault as it was not supposed to grow 6' trunk in 10 years jamming up the crowns of my teddy bear and livistona decora.  I also edited a livistona decora with 10' trunk that was interfering with my wifes favorite tree(tabibuia ipe).  I edit trunks of my dypsis lutecens as they have interfered with my achrontophoenix myolensis.    When the wind whips up here, a lot of damage is done if they are too close.  I edited an mule that was 90% queen and a jubutiagrus that couldnt kick mold spot after 7 years, a possible genetic issue.  I am not a huge fan of fruit trees, I edited my key lime and meyer lemon.  Edit away, make your yard what you want it to be.

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Yes I agree overplanting is very common here on palmtalk.  We see those little ~3g palms and just misjudge how big they will be one day. 

I did the opposite to begin with, drawing out maximum dimensions on paper (and AutoCAD) and holding to the maxim, "thy fronds shall never touch each other."  And then I really got into different palm species, and that went out the window.  Now I *attempt* to envision what it'll look like in 1,2,5,10 years and try to plant so they don't fight each other...too much.  I'm sure I've made some colosal blunders in size and growth rate, but so far most of my problems have been related to not "editing" out 100% of the @&%#*$* water oaks 5 years ago.  A blank slate with stumps yanked out by bobcat would have made this a LOT easier.  :D  Probably my one regret is planting a plain old Sylvestris as the backyard center "focal point."  It's nice, but not particularly interesting.  Fortunately it's still one of my wife's favorites.

11 hours ago, Merlyn said:

I did the opposite to begin with, drawing out maximum dimensions on paper (and AutoCAD) and holding to the maxim, "thy fronds shall never touch each other."  And then I really got into different palm species, and that went out the window.  Now I *attempt* to envision what it'll look like in 1,2,5,10 years and try to plant so they don't fight each other...too much.  I'm sure I've made some colosal blunders in size and growth rate, but so far most of my problems have been related to not "editing" out 100% of the @&%#*$* water oaks 5 years ago.  A blank slate with stumps yanked out by bobcat would have made this a LOT easier.  :D  Probably my one regret is planting a plain old Sylvestris as the backyard center "focal point."  It's nice, but not particularly interesting.  Fortunately it's still one of my wife's favorites.

This was my plan as well. Placing slow palms between faster ones so that I would have a canopy and a big head start on the undergrowth. It worked for the most part but in some cases the slow palms grew at the same rate as the fast ones. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

23 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Yeah I thought I had solved that too and mostly I did, but its too simplistic.  My archies, kentiopsis, royals, bizzies, stakentias, sabals(aside "the fake lisa) and copernicias are all properly spaced.  My borassus AE was much slower than the alfredii the first 9 years, and now it looks like it will be faster.   But there was only one person on this forum that had a borassus aethiopum in 2011.  People on this forum called alfredii "slow" when I got mine in 2011, and this led to 2 conflicts in my yard as one of my other alfredii's is competing with a livistona decora now.  Then there was the falsely labelled sabal "lisa" err mexicana.  You cant just look around at others yards since they may have different cultural conditions, many have had slow growth with alfredii.  Its a 3D problem and growth rate is the wild card that isnt solved by a drawing in 2D.  Being correct 80% of the time still means edits.   When your palms are all 20' tall or taller you will know much more about where your yard is going.  As I was pointing out, experience is the ultimate teacher and palms new to cultivation are not so easy to plan.    And yeah I forgot I edited out 3 phoenix sylvestris, fortunately one one was trunking and it was a nasty job needing 25-30 leaves removed a year.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

@Stevetoad welcome to the club! I see @Palm Tree Jim is already here and his “editing” advice has been invaluable, I mean priceless. To me for the same reason.

I have to edit my collection too; sometimes you just gotta. Hire out or learn The Way of the Chain Saw.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad I found this thread, and that it's not just me... 

I decided to "let go of" a Sabal Palmetto last weekend.  The decision was made very quickly, overnight really, and executed almost as quickly... The justifications? I have several Sabals already (one other Palmetto), I can't see the Butiagrus or the Caryota Maxima behind it, the area is way overplanted, etc. etc. 

This was the view from my living room window Sunday morning at 09:50...

IMG_20210307_172720_copy_1000x750.jpg.7c5a0cede6586ebe1d3fb14040267abf.jpg

And this was the view at 10:20...

IMG_20210307_172738_copy_1000x750.jpg.ae947caeb7c045d59eb11cf36d037321.jpg

I think I made the right choice. But I felt awful during the editing. Awful during the first ten minutes as I half heartedly tried to dig it up (to "give it a chance for survival") before proclaiming the transplant futile and impossible, and really awful during the twenty minutes it took me to saw through the trunk at ground level and clean up the palm gore, before rearranging the mulch to make it look like it never happened... 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Jan Jo said:

I think I made the right choice.

I agree with you and Darold - nicer view now.  And you did a great job of taking basically the same photo!  It almost looks like you deceived us by editing using Photoshop!  ;)

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

12 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Much better, Jan Jo  :)

Thanks Darold! 

10 hours ago, Fusca said:

I agree with you and Darold - nicer view now.  And you did a great job of taking basically the same photo!  It almost looks like you deceived us by editing using Photoshop!  ;)

Hahaha... Given how overplanted the area is (still), I wonder if I'll have to repeat that same photo every so often, kind of a "spot the differences" thread... ;)

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 6:34 PM, Jan Jo said:

I'm so glad I found this thread, and that it's not just me... 

I decided to "let go of" a Sabal Palmetto last weekend.  The decision was made very quickly, overnight really, and executed almost as quickly... The justifications? I have several Sabals already (one other Palmetto), I can't see the Butiagrus or the Caryota Maxima behind it, the area is way overplanted, etc. etc. 

This was the view from my living room window Sunday morning at 09:50...

IMG_20210307_172720_copy_1000x750.jpg.7c5a0cede6586ebe1d3fb14040267abf.jpg

And this was the view at 10:20...

IMG_20210307_172738_copy_1000x750.jpg.ae947caeb7c045d59eb11cf36d037321.jpg

I think I made the right choice. But I felt awful during the editing. Awful during the first ten minutes as I half heartedly tried to dig it up (to "give it a chance for survival") before proclaiming the transplant futile and impossible, and really awful during the twenty minutes it took me to saw through the trunk at ground level and clean up the palm gore, before rearranging the mulch to make it look like it never happened... 

Well I didn't really expect THIS to happen... Last March I murdered one of my Sabal Palmettos to be able to enjoy the view of the palms behind it... I lopped the whole thing off at ground level. Though it felt like the right thing to do, I did feel bad about it for a day or two, but then I moved on, and I guess I never really looked back.... 

My surprise today has been to find that my Sabal Palmetto, or a mutant remnant of it, has arisen from the depths of the underworld... to claim its revenge perhaps? 

IMG_20210606_184916_copy_750x1000.jpg.b3df7f65fb9d537a322bfb36fc4db754.jpg

IMG_20210606_184946_copy_750x1000.jpg.5d65e6b9df571dbadc7e0cbb9a048bdf.jpg

Is it just me or is this a bit disturbing??!! 

What is it doing?! What does it want from me???!! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lol you’re discovering the joys of trying to get rid of palmettos. They keep their bud deep underground until they have a large trunk. 

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I can’t even imagine....  I find myself having a hard time getting rid of common BB store palms and agave pups sitting in pots out back.  

• Like 1

Looking Glass, the longer I garden the more ruthless I become,  don't waste space,or time on inferior or poorly sited plants.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kailua_Krish said:

Lol you’re discovering the joys of trying to get rid of palmettos. They keep their bud deep underground until they have a large trunk. 

Hehe.. I'd always heard they were very sensitive to transplants, that's why I never saw this coming.. But I guess this is probably exactly why they are so sensitive to transplants, all their power lies in their root system... 

So how do I stop this Stranger Things mutant from coming back into my garden??!! 

19 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Well I didn't really expect THIS to happen... Last March I murdered one of my Sabal Palmettos to be able to enjoy the view of the palms behind it... I lopped the whole thing off at ground level. Though it felt like the right thing to do, I did feel bad about it for a day or two, but then I moved on, and I guess I never really looked back.... 

My surprise today has been to find that my Sabal Palmetto, or a mutant remnant of it, has arisen from the depths of the underworld... to claim its revenge perhaps? 

IMG_20210606_184916_copy_750x1000.jpg.b3df7f65fb9d537a322bfb36fc4db754.jpg

IMG_20210606_184946_copy_750x1000.jpg.5d65e6b9df571dbadc7e0cbb9a048bdf.jpg

Is it just me or is this a bit disturbing??!! 

What is it doing?! What does it want from me???!! 

386f04287b04a2639f37fece2d253ae0.jpg

1 hour ago, Gonzer said:

386f04287b04a2639f37fece2d253ae0.jpg

Hehe, loved that film. And it's kind of what this thing looks like, only in green. It has a menacing presence... I must deal with it once and for all...