IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Macrozamia Moorei extreme hardiness limit

Meangreen94z

Anybody in a zone 8B or so test the limit to Macrozamia Moorei , Johnsonii, or Communis? Anyone have them survive a wet 14-15*F? If they did die, at what temperature? If you’ve have success with other Macrozamia in that range feel free to mention.Thanks

• Like 2

I found promising info on Johnsonii and Communis coming back from 12-13 in the freeze data section. Anyone tested Moorei?

Can’t comment on survival temperatures yet, but small specimens of moorei and communis defoliate in the low 20s.  They do not seem to be less hardy than sago palms of a similar size.  No idea if they gain hardiness with size like sago palms do.

Thanks, yeah I’m wondering if they gain or atleast maintain hardiness once an above ground trunk starts to form. I would hate to buy a specimen level plant just to learn they arent trunk hardy. 

Last time I went to Zilker Botanic Garden I was impressed by their cycads. It's been a couple years but was after the bad freezes. I can't remember any more if they had any Macrozamia, but I bet someone involved in that part of the garden has some useful info for you.

I have M. moorei a d M  communis out in zone 9A--- probably seen 19F at lowest --- no leaf burn --- this is in Jax FL 

• Like 1

I went to Zilker Park in Austin, nothing too exotic. No Macrozamia. They had Cycas Panzihuaensis, Dioon Edule and Angustfolium, Ceratozamia Kuesteriana and Mexicana. And a few others.file.php?id=73101file.php?id=73100file.php?id=73099file.php?id=73098file.php?id=73097file.php?id=73096file.php?id=73095

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 8:49 PM, Meangreen94z said:

Anybody in a zone 8B or so test the limit to Macrozamia Moorei , Johnsonii, or Communis? Anyone have them survive a wet 14-15*F? If they did die, at what temperature? If you’ve have success with other Macrozamia in that range feel free to mention.Thanks

I have some Macrozamia communis that have experienced the mid teens on my porch with no damage. The only damage I have noticed was from the sun.

7 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I went to Zilker Park in Austin, nothing too exotic. No Macrozamia. They had Cycas Panzihuaensis, Dioon Edule and Angustfolium, Ceratozamia Kuesteriana and Mexicana. And a few others.file.php?id=73101file.php?id=73100file.php?id=73099file.php?id=73098file.php?id=73097file.php?id=73096file.php?id=73095

Nothing too exotic, but still a hell of a lot more than you see anywhere else in Austin! A few years ago I noticed three C. taitungensis at The Great Outdoors. I managed to buy them all over the course of the next year on three separate trips. 

When I went to Zilker last there was a large Dioon spinulosum and at least one Encephalartos (I think ferox).

They may keep them in containers and put them away for the winter in their greenhouse . I didn’t realize it was going to frost one night, with our first dip into the mid 30’s over a month ago. Both my Spinulosum and Ferox were torched by it. Both will survive but I was disappointed with the Ferox given its claimed trunk hardiness of mid to low teens. 

I stopped by the Great Outdoors a few weeks ago. It was a bit sparse plant wise, given its the winter, but the parking lot was jammed and had attendants directing.

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2021 at 8:49 PM, Meangreen94z said:

I don’t know if you saw this but there is one at Zilker and it was there during the freeze. I think you missed it. I was wondering the same thing. Here is after the freeze and then one year later after another light freeze. 

so where can one attain these?

Believe San Antonio Botanical Gardens has a Macrozamia and so does Moody Gardens. 

5FE01D0E-C136-476F-9FAD-C090E45B2BF9.jpeg

848A1DF2-64CF-4E82-A1BA-9876576C4362.jpeg

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

23 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I don’t know if you saw this but there is one at Zilker and it was there during the freeze. I think you missed it. I was wondering the same thing. Here is after the freeze and then one year later after another light freeze. 

so where can one attain these?

Believe San Antonio Botanical Gardens has a Macrozamia and so does Moody Gardens. 

5FE01D0E-C136-476F-9FAD-C090E45B2BF9.jpeg

848A1DF2-64CF-4E82-A1BA-9876576C4362.jpeg

Jungle Music probably has different sizes, smaller stuff can be reasonable. Extremely easy to deal with over email or phone. Chip Jones of Jones Landscaping in Fort Lauderdale has probably the best selection at the best prices(wholesale) of cycads that I’ve seen . He is busy enough at his on site nursery, but if you are extremely patient can occasionally be reached through email for purchase. My guess is you probably won’t want to deal with him and his intermittent responses.

Can you post a link to Chip Jones list or post the list here?

Hi 90˚, Lo 54˚

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

• 2 weeks later...

My two D. Ambo's have been down to 27 F, the last week or two.  I live in the East Bay, CA.  They have been in ground, the biggest 7 years. the other is next to house, but exposed. My Kentia's were not happy, and a few leaves got toasty, but the the D. Ambisotrae's were hit hard.  They survived,  which is the good news. The Ambositrae that was hit hardest (about 7-8' tall), was covered with an agricultural frost cloth that went to the ground, that was supposed to give it an extra 4-6 degrees.    I am very disappointed, and plan on pulling it out. The smaller sucker 2' tall was protected by my Brahea Moorei leaf next to it, I am debating about taking out my others.   My three Parajubaea T. Microcarpa's upper fronds got a little toasty, as well as my Phoenix Rupicola in the front yard.

The frost cloth is called Agribon, and a lot of commercial nurseries use it. ,  I have posted on it before, but can't find my post.  It's a commercial agricultural product, I spent a lot for two large rolls, 12' or 16' wide. In fact San Marcos Nursery in Santa Barbara uses it, and  I will continue to use it, but I intend to build a frame, and cover the frame.  I usually do, it is a tripod tee pee affair, covered with the cloth, and fastened down with clips from Home Depot.  The affected palm was tied with fronds up, and wrapped with material, so perhaps it is ineffective if it touches the plant. 

But, to stay on topic with the cycad, both of my Macrozamia Moorei's were unaffected by the cold.  They were not covered, and I thought they could make it to low 20's, but will have to look it up now. 

Cecile

• Upvote 1