IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help with new L. Ramsayi

JohnAndSancho

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but should I be worried about this guy? It arrived on Thursday, and based on what I've read on here on other Licuala, it's potted in a mix 50% clay 50% bark - (loose, fast draining and keeps moisture) - soil is super moist, I give it as much humidity as I can indoors. I keep it out of HVAC drafts, it's under a grow light, and I gave it a warm shower this morning. 

Should I just repot it in normal potting soil?  Is it just going through an adjustment phase? I hate that I have such great results with cheap palms that I neglect, and this one looks so miserable in just 3 days. Parts of it feel dry, parts of it feel soggy and it's my first Licuala so I've got no perspective to go off of here. 

20210117_160035.jpg

20210117_160047.jpg

Fwiw I also ordered some Orchid Mist spray food based on previous struggling Licuala threads 

Did I just do something wrong? The Chambeyronia is shrivelling up and drying out too. This was my first - and last - time buying any plants shipped bare root. :bummed: The Licuala looks even worse than it did when I went to work this morning. 

20210118_164313.jpg

I’ve bought plenty of bare root palms that did fine. I’ve had similar issues but more so with tropical palms.

• Like 1

Wow John, sorry to see that!  Wish I could offer some advice.  I've had the same experience as Scott - shipping bare root isn't normally a problem.  What did Josh recommend as far as a planting medium?  It might be a combination of things - perhaps the medium holds too much moisture?  Maybe it's under that light too long?  Hope you can get them to bounce back.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

14 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:

I’ve bought plenty of bare root palms that did fine. I’ve had similar issues but more so with tropical palms.

Today I learned I should have let the roots soak before I potted them up. :mellow2:

8 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Today I learned I should have let the roots soak before I potted them up. :mellow2:

If they were dry, probably.  Any bare root palm I've ever bought....except from one Florida nursery ship with damp moss to keep roots moist.

• Like 1

She's got a couple leaves that look ok still. I did cut a couple off that were extra crispy, and it's trying to push a new leaf out. It looks kinda sketchy and dry but fingers crossed that she pulls through. Keeping her as warm and moist as possible. 

Message_1611187902921.jpg

Now some of the leaves are turning white. I'm gonna move it out of the light and hope that helps. It's in the soil mix that was reccomended in other threads, and I was told to keep it moist so it's moist. Tough sledding for this little one. 

Message_1611442308597.jpg

No real experience with this... but if it was my plant would try seasol and hope that gets roots better.
If not i would try hydrogen peroxide in case there is a fungal issue on roots due to stress of transport.

Edit: My mix for indoor ramsayi is 60% premium potting mix 40% perlite. Sometimes forget to water it for a week. Had no issues.

Edited by Palms Brisbane