IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca ipot dead at 36 degrees

John of Ponce

I wanted to let other palm owners know how very cold sensitive Areca ipots are. They were doing well and healthy until the temp fell.

Wow do they hate cold weather. Them and Areca macrocalx didn't just get burned they died out right. Most of my other 107 species of palms did well.

I'm experimenting with palm species that will grow in my new coastal location in central Florida. I'm about a half mile from the beach on a barrier island. My area just of south of Daytona is listed as zone 9B. Yet I see other plants that make me think the island that I'm on as opposed to the mainland must be 10 a. As a barometer, I have been aggressively trying to grow as many species of palms as I can get my hands on.

John

PXL_20210115_222609278.jpg

Edited by John of Ponce
I needed to change some misspelled words

I've had no long term success growing Areca ipot in pots or anywhere else. They are finicky and prone to keel over dead at the slightest provocation - 36F is an invitation to certain death. They are truly tropical and mean it. If you are 9b "bordering" on 10a in Central FL most of the Arecas will try your patience and wallet.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

If you're dead-set on trying Arecas in that area, you might try A. triandra. A beautiful clustering palm that will come back from the roots after a horrible freeze, yet lends an uncommonly tropical quality to the landscape. If memory serves, this was one of the species that Dent Smith (a founder of the Palm Society) had at his Daytona-area property that was "reliable" in that sense.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)