JohnAndSancho

Another hydropalm thread

JohnAndSancho

I just ordered a couple Bloem Ariana pots and some LECA clay. I'm gonna sacrifice one of my Majesty palms, and my local supermarket has C Cataractarum in 10" pots for $10. Both of these palms are water hogs, so we'll see how it goes. I'll update this thread with pics once everything arrives. 

• Like 1

sashaeffer

Always like to see members try new things that benefit us all.

• Like 1

JohnAndSancho

I'm on the fence about sacrificing this Majesty now since it's growing so well (even after I haven't watered it in a few weeks since I planned to hydropalm it) - and after watching tons of YouTube videos, I realize it isn't as cheap as I was hoping. I can't really justify spending money on chemicals now that I'm missing 2 weeks of work, either. I still might try something smaller based on what's already in my apartment with some of the dozens of C. Elegans I really need to split up anyway. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      Since I never know what order my pics are gonna post in, here's some new growth photos with tags. 

Big Cat Garfield pushing 3 new leaves like the champ he is. 

Please shame me for not splitting up the C. Elegans yet because some of them are getting fat. 

Time to celebrate by buying some C. Benzeii and more Howeas while Jungle Music has them on sale. 

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      Ok. So I mentioned in another thread I tested positive for Covid, so I've got some time off of work and I've got a few projects. 
      @DoomsDave sent me a bunch of C. Radicalis seeds. The last time I tried to do anything with seeds, I was a kid trying to grow illegal substances. Didn't work. Let's hope this goes better. 

Also going to split up my 3 clumps of C. Elegans and plop them into these 3" pots and give most of them to my staff at work. I'm gonna keep the biggest ones for myself because I'm a jerk. 

Also gonna try a semi hydro experiment with this Majesty. Bought a pot that doesn't drain and a bunch of LECA. From what I've read on here, it should be pretty basic - water a lot and add diluted liquid fertilizer, and I'm hoping it adds enough weight to the plant because this thing blows over every time the wind blows. 

Also going to dose my L. Ramsayi and C. Macrocarpa with some Superthrive because they're still struggling to acclimate. 

Maybe after that I'll teach myself how to put images in-line in a post vs just posting attachments 

• PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      I recently picked up a cluster (20-25) of howea seedlings and separated them into numerous small pots and decided to take a shot at growing them in leca.
      I wanted to try out a few different semi-hydro pot/container styles since it's my first time growing these in leca and I wanted to see if some things work better than others.  In the picture from left to right we have:
      -Lechuza deltini mini filled with lechuza pon and topped with leca
      -White ceramic 4" pot with leca in plastic liner
      -White ceramic 3" pot with leca in plastic liner
      -4" terra cotta pot with leca submerged in marble water reservoir
      -Clear 500ml beaker with pure leca, no plastic liner
      If anyone has any tips/advice for growing palms in leca (when/what to feed them..) I'm all ears, I'm pretty new to it all.  I'll keep the thread updated on their progress, thanks guys!

• sashaeffer
      By sashaeffer
      Been acquiring seeds like crazy this winter so wanted to try a few using hydroponic system.
      only 4 cells being used so far but have other seeds coming. 

system is on heat mat but not sure how much affect temp wise it will have on water temp. The tub does lay flush on mat.
      success or failure will keep updated.

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      I'm starting to wonder if my little Cataractarum is a goner. I had another post where i mentioned that I used a fine "top dressing" sand thinking it'd help with soil drainage and it just plugged all the drainage in the pot. It lost a sucker, and I keep trimming the dried black ends and yellow/black leaves off of it, and every day there's more black. I did repot it and got all the sand out a week ago, didn't notice any root rot. 

It's big brother has been in this corner since I've had it, and all it does is grow. I've had to cut a few stalks off of the big one too, but it hasn't missed a beat. 

Do y'all think the little guy is salvageable? How long should I wait to see improvement after the repotting? Should I just yeet it into the dumpster and buy a chambeyronia macrocarpa?