IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Double Spear Pull

ahosey01

I went to Henderson, NV for work for a couple days... came back and noticed my L. nitida and new P. canariensis x reclinata both looked crappy. Took a little tug on each spear and both popped out easy:

1A1292EC-F32A-4074-96B6-62CD90EDF003.thumb.jpeg.844522d36199f2c9f9d0aec177bc4307.jpeg

A10D8932-A09B-4F25-80D1-6B784A4B2F67.thumb.jpeg.52e1a6731ee6029802bb0abe5f58ca53.jpeg

Any idea what it could be? Doesn’t seem like cold - nothing else in the yard has even a bit of foliage burn.  This includes species that should be far more sensitive, like H. thebaica, B. nobilis and Aloe marlothii.  Gave the Phoenix hybrid a good watering a few days ago since the canaries get winter rain.  That was mostly it, though.  The Livistona was fairly dry.

All other plants in the whole yard are completely fine.

They both look badly desiccated. If they are fairly newly planted, they need water almost daily in your climate, even though it’s winter. Also, mulch should never be touching the base of a young palm like that. Gently pull it all away at least a couple of inches from their bases. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

10 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

They both look badly desiccated. If they are fairly newly planted, they need water almost daily in your climate, even though it’s winter. Also, mulch should never be touching the base of a young palm like that. Gently pull it all away at least a couple of inches from their bases. 

Fair point on the mulch.

When it comes to winter water, usually I just feel a few inches down in the soil and take one of three approaches.  If it comes from a wet-winter climate, I make sure it’s wet-ish.  If it doesn’t, I make sure it’s moist.  If it’s something like Nonorrhops then I just water like once a month.

I know it’s rudimentary but this is the tactic I’ve always used for plants.  Is it not sufficient for palms?

Edited by ahosey01

3 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

Fair point on the mulch.

When it comes to winter water, usually I just feel a few inches down in the soil and take one of three approaches.  If it comes from a wet-winter climate, I make sure it’s wet-ish.  If it doesn’t, I make sure it’s moist.  If it’s something like Nonorrhops then I just water like once a month.

I know it’s rudimentary but this is the tactic I’ve always used for plants.  Is it not sufficient for palms?

That’s a fine tactic for established plants but it dooms a newly planted one to possible death. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens