IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Vancouver’s Trachys

Palm D

12 hours ago, Zifool said:

Nice pics ! What is it protected in 3rd pics ?

Great view picture 4 with mountain ! :yay:

Dicksonia Antarctica:)

• Like 1

They look like they like it there, nice and green too! I like when they are tall like that. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

On 1/16/2021 at 2:32 AM, Zifool said:

Nice pics ! What is it protected in 3rd pics ?

Great view picture 4 with mountain ! :yay:

Could you tell me how the Dicksonias are wrapped? It looks like you have bubble wrap on the outside maybe? Are they left wrapped all winter? I have a large one in a container that I'm thinking of putting in the ground and protecting possibly with string lights, burlap or frost cloth, and then perhaps bubble wrap or insulation in extreme weather.

The Trachycarpus are fabulous as well as the view! It's very beautiful up there! 

• Like 1

Palm D, nice pictures on a beautiful day! Cheers!  The pic with the tree ferns is that Carl's old place. 

Edited by Paradise Found

1 hour ago, Palm Man said:

Could you tell me how the Dicksonias are wrapped? It looks like you have bubble wrap on the outside maybe? Are they left wrapped all winter? I have a large one in a container that I'm thinking of putting in the ground and protecting possibly with string lights, burlap or frost cloth, and then perhaps bubble wrap or insulation in extreme weather.

The Trachycarpus are fabulous as well as the view! It's very beautiful up there! 

This is one of my clients place, he wraps the Dicksonia each year in late fall.  He starts by trimming off the fronds but keeping a little bit of the stems in the crown to support a nest of leaves that help insulate the crown.  He then wraps the entire trunk with burlap then with bubble wrap and then puts a big plastic bag over the entire thing, tying it down with string.  

Technically this is zone 9a and the ferns would likely be fine unprotected, but given their age and how special they are and how long it takes to wrap one of these should the need arise last minute, he does it well ahead of time each year.  They come back in the spring like nothing has happened! 

684484EA-8DE2-4945-B8BE-F21DD7EF6C8B.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

Palm D, nice pictures on a beautiful day! Cheers!  The pic with the tree ferns is that Carl's old place. 

Rudi’s sons 

1 hour ago, Palm D said:

Rudi’s sons 

Rudi yes that the name I was thinking.  Banana Joe likes to go there a lot.  I miss the old PNW palm and exotic web site. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that information. I have little experience growing tree ferns outside year round. Once I overwintered a Cyathea cooperi by wrapping it in bubble wrap and then black plastic over that. I left the crown open, which was probably ill advised. The fronds were killed but, to my delight, the fern pushed out new fronds in the Spring. Cyathea cooperi has shown a fair amount of hardiness here. I haven't dared trying Dicksonia outside due to their slow growth and cost. I'm tempted to buy a number of young Cyathea cooperi to plant out in Spring and see how much growth I could get in our warm humid summers. Then I could experiment with winter protection. 

It might be possible to protect the Dicksonia (and the Cyathea) the same way you have, except wrap some string lights over the burlap for extreme weather.  Our winter weather is generally mild, but like all the Southeast can be extreme for brief (usually) periods. I grow a number of palms such as Trachycarpus, Sabals, Chamaerops, Rhapidophyllum, and Butia, but these are all much hardier than tree ferns of course.

• Like 1

I see 1 gallon dicksonia on average for about $12. I’m sure if you found a small one it would be cheap and easy to protect due to their slow growth. 

Good idea! I'd probably have to mail order it though, as tree ferns aren't generally offered for sale here. They are so beautiful that they are worth the effort. I wish I could find true Cyathea australis for sale. They are said to be about the same hardiness as Dicksonia antarctica. 

Believe it or not I see Dicksonia and Cyathea mixed in with the regular ferns. All the other subtropical/tropical plants are in a separate designated section.