IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What would you plant here?

JohnAndSancho

5 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It's already pretty well known in the office that I need money for a house. I need a yard for my dog and more room for palms. My staff is on a mission to find a woman for me to convince me to stay here :floor:

Is there a jungle girl section on Craigslist?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

This is all hilarious because I had zero interest in any landscaping, plants, palms, or anything before Covid hit lol 

Now I'm a growing palm fanatic and my name is on all of our paperwork 

Me too.

• Like 2

Nothing to say here. 

1 hour ago, RyManUtah said:

Chamaerops 

I agree, I'd put in a few Chamaerops cerifera with something like purple lantana as a groundcover and maybe a few boulders to go with the stone on the building.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It's already pretty well known in the office that I need money for a house. I need a yard for my dog and more room for palms. My staff is on a mission to find a woman for me to convince me to stay here :floor:

I hear " dating opportunities " abound at hotels:mrlooney: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I honestly don't know for sure. I do have a couple potted d. Lutescens in my office window (not shaded by the canopy) that are already getting sunburned (...or they could be shocked after being in my colder, much darker apartment for months) but there's def no shortage of sunlight lol. 

I haven't really looked into this seriously, but the hotel owner said he was going to buy some flowers and I'm just like "why not buy some cool palms that will last for years instead of buying some cheap flowers that will die again in 8 or 9 months?" Maybe I need to call @TexasColdHardyPalms for some advice 

You can also see from this angle that the canopy isn't solid, it's semi open over the flowerbed. 

20201230_104310_HDR.jpg

Who controls the frontage next to the road?

24 minutes ago, amh said:

Is there a jungle girl section on Craigslist?

:floor: probably but I'm right in the middle between Houston and Dallas, and the Houston in me wouldn't have a Dallas girl. 

3 minutes ago, amh said:

Who controls the frontage next to the road?

Ummm I think us, but the owner is like 0% concerned about that lol. Our snow literally just finished melting today on that strip. 

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

:floor: probably but I'm right in the middle between Houston and Dallas, and the Houston in me wouldn't have a Dallas girl. 

I'm not too familiar those choices.

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Ummm I think us, but the owner is like 0% concerned about that lol. Our snow literally just finished melting today on that strip. 

That could be a ripe area for larger specimens. A lot of the businesses in the central part of the state will plant rows of Sabal mexicana along the road, but any trunking palm would do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, amh said:

I'm not too familiar those choices.

That could be a ripe area for larger specimens. A lot of the businesses in the central part of the state will plant rows of Sabal mexicana along the road, but any trunking palm would do.

There's a pretty solid rivalry between the two cities. I'm a transplant, I came up here in 2009. But I'm on board with anyone that can handle my palm addiction and my huge list of personal flaws that I have no intentions of working on :floor:

I'd love nothing more than plopping a row of trunking palms up and down that strip just to set us apart from everyone else in town. I'm really digging the t. Princeps Nova this week, but - I just work here. I'd even contribute my Washy and one of Majesties if we could do a full-on semi tropical vibe on the property. 

8 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'd love nothing more than plopping a row of trunking palms up and down that strip just to set us apart from everyone else in town. I'm really digging the t. Princeps Nova this week, but - I just work here. I'd even contribute my Washy and one of Majesties if we could do a full-on semi tropical vibe on the property. 

Start small.

If the owner will allow a renovation of the flower beds, start there and negotiate further improvements. You dont have to go all tropical, but anything would be an improvement over what is currently there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, amh said:

Start small.

If the owner will allow a renovation of the flower beds, start there and negotiate further improvements. You dont have to go all tropical, but anything would be an improvement over what is currently there.

For real. 

Granted, I've got a lot in my apartment right now, but what's _inside_ in my _studio_ apartment is a lot nicer than what we've got on property right now. 

• Like 1

Chamaerops humilis (if zone 8) or if zone 9 Phoenix roebelenii look like they might fit in there.

Plus they grow really slowly (from what I've read)

6990613e93a26195dc4502658fcdb93b.jpg.cbe3f238dc492f3471a81a92d4c259a4.jpg

s-l1000.jpg.8e5aa4c7784a516ea81d82e252c04124.jpg

Edited by floridaPalmMan
  • Upvote 2

Just now, floridaPalmMan said:

Chamaerops humilis (if zone 8) or if zone 9 Phoenix roebelenii look like they might fit in there.

Plus they grow really slowly

The cluster growth would really work.

Looks like it might be a little too cold in winter there for Crotons - otherwise I'd say use the variety "Eleanore Roosevelt" aka "Sloppy Painter"....they are a very durable variety with a powerful visual impact.

Other plants that could be used in conjunction or in other combos:

1) Orange Bird of Paradise

2) Indian Hawthorn

3) Liriope muscari

4) Crown of Thorns

5) Firecracker Plant

6) Trinette Schefflera

7) Hawaiian Ti Plant - "Auntie Lou" variety

8) 'Nora Grant' Ixora

9) Sun Bromeliad (Aechmea blanchetiana)

I didn't come up with any palms that would be suitable, except perhaps Lady Palm (Rhapis excelsa), except they do better in shade and they do have a tendency to spread.

Or how about an Old Man Palm (Coccothrinax crinitaas) a focal point?

There are probably some Cycads that would work, but many of those have armament, so you'd have to sign off on that.

There's probably a ton of other options - those are just a few off the top of my head. May not be suitable due to your climate - not sure about that.....

• 1 month later...

Post promotion and post Snowmageddon bump. Also fingers still crossed that the rose bushes don't recover, even they look like garbage even though temps have been in the 70s-80s lately.