IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What would you plant here?

JohnAndSancho

Need to redo this flower bed at work. I don't know exactly how high the canopy is, but almost 2 stories high.  Approx 6ft at its widest. Nissan Sentra for scale. Building faces south, there are sprinklers surrounding it. Ridiculous amounts of morning sun. 

Ideally I'd like something impressive that won't hit the canopy within my lifetime, no thorns, little maintenance. 

After we decide what to plant, we can work on talking my owner into it lol 

20210115_121610.jpg

2 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

Licuala spinosa

As pretty as they are, that seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen :lol: this is a hotel entrance and kids and drunk folks and what not 

• Upvote 1

@JohnAndSancho Perhaps a bit bland, but Sabal minor (perhaps Louisiana if you want a short trunk) along with some Philodendrons?

• Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

16 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Need to redo this flower bed at work. I don't know exactly how high the canopy is, but almost 2 stories high.  Approx 6ft at its widest. Nissan Sentra for scale. Building faces south, there are sprinklers surrounding it. Ridiculous amounts of morning sun. 

Ideally I'd like something impressive that won't hit the canopy within my lifetime, no thorns, little maintenance. 

After we decide what to plant, we can work on talking my owner into it lol 

20210115_121610.jpg

Some sago palms and a mule palm.

• Like 1

Nothing to say here. 

4 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@JohnAndSancho Perhaps a bit bland, but Sabal minor (perhaps Louisiana if you want a short trunk) along with some Philodendrons?

That's about 8 billion times more exciting than it currently is. It's mostly weeds right now and it looks like garbage. Meanwhile, our competitors next door have a couple impressive palms by their pool - I think they're Sabals, I'll get pics on Monday. 

4 minutes ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Some sago palms and a mule palm.

The mule will def outgrow this spot quick, but a couple Sagos wouldn't be a bad idea. I was thinking about that earlier. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnAndSancho said:

The mule will def outgrow this spot quick, but a couple Sagos wouldn't be a bad idea. I was thinking about that earlier. 

Maybe even a sabal etonia since they have a small size.

• Like 1

Nothing to say here. 

I know Sagos do well here. There's one in my apartment complex that's an absolute unit. 

I think a couple T. Princeps "Nova" would look great here too but they'd really make the rest of our landscaping look like crap, and as hard as this industry was hit by COVID we really don't have tons of cash to splash on pretty trees. 

4 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

If you're going to consider Cycads, would look at something bluish, like dioon edule before plain jane Sagos,  if Dioon will survive in your area. Stay smaller, and will not get as wide as Sagos can get as well..

Think a few Chamaedorea microspadix would look good in this spot also.. Any stems that get too tall can be removed, w/out taking away from how the palm looks.

• Like 3

Nannorrhops might suit well for something a bit unusual if you can get your hands on one. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

23 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Think a few Chamaedorea microspadix would look good in this spot also

How would they hold up to brutal Texas sun? 

How would they hold up to brutal Texas sun? 

How many hours is that spot in direct sun?.. If just in the morning ( esp. in summer ) i think they'd be ok as long as they stay watered.. Can't remember what the sp. was but came across some type of Chamaedorea planted in quite a bit of sun, or so it appeared-  up against the side of a gas station in Palm Springs.. Guaranteed you don't get as hot ( or dry ) as it does there, lol.. 

You could also place them where they will receive shade sooner, compared to other stuff you decide to plant that can tolerate more sun. Or place something shorter, in front of them, to shade the base of each clump. The "layered " look would look good from the side facing the Hotel ( where you took the pic. ) if the bed is wide enough to do so of course.

11 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

How many hours is that spot in direct sun?.. If just in the morning ( esp. in summer ) i think they'd be ok as long as they stay watered.. 

I honestly don't know for sure. I do have a couple potted d. Lutescens in my office window (not shaded by the canopy) that are already getting sunburned (...or they could be shocked after being in my colder, much darker apartment for months) but there's def no shortage of sunlight lol. 

I haven't really looked into this seriously, but the hotel owner said he was going to buy some flowers and I'm just like "why not buy some cool palms that will last for years instead of buying some cheap flowers that will die again in 8 or 9 months?" Maybe I need to call @TexasColdHardyPalms for some advice 

You can also see from this angle that the canopy isn't solid, it's semi open over the flowerbed. 

20201230_104310_HDR.jpg

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Added another photo

Cycas panzhihuaensis, Cycas Revoluta x debaoensis and or Cycas panzhihuaensis x debaoensis would make a very bold statement and pique the interest of anyone remotely interested in plants. also, Sabal brazoriensis would work and is very common and easy to acquire. I would personally look for plants that are no more than 6 feet tall because you would loose visibility.

• Like 2

Just now, amh said:

Sabal brazoriensis would work and is very common and easy to acquire. 

Would also keep the Texas vibe going. 

• Like 2

Especially for east Texas. Seriously though, look at the Cycas Revoluta x debaoensis and Cycas panzhihuaensis x debaoensis hybrids, they are fast growers and not as "armed" as sagos.

Edited by amh
  • Like 2

After that, I'll work on convincing him to let me replace our Generic Landscaping Trees with mules, and put some small shade friendly palms by the pool to replace whatever crap we currently have growing out there lol 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I haven't really looked into this seriously, but the hotel owner said he was going to buy some flowers and I'm just like "why not buy some cool palms that will last for years instead of buying some cheap flowers that will die again in 8 or 9 months?" Maybe I need to call @TexasColdHardyPalms for some advice 

:greenthumb: Ha!, lol.. that's something i'd say.. Some summer flowers might look good mixed in among the bolder stuff though. 

Would definitely get in touch w/ Joseph and see what he thinks. You'll need to anyway if you're able to landscape more areas of the property.

• Like 2

I'm really trying to turn this place around from the neglect it's been put through since they opened. The building is beautiful but the grounds are so boring and generic. I'll even go halfsies if I can get it in writing that the palms come with me if I get fired :floor:

*searches for edible palms*

Edited by JohnAndSancho
More jokes
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, amh said:

Whats your deer situation?

Never seen one here. It's a hotel in a big shopping center with a Kroger and a Target right next to an interstate. 

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Edited

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm really trying to turn this place around from the neglect it's been put through since they opened. The building is beautiful but the grounds are so boring and generic. I'll even go halfsies if I can get it in writing that the palms come with me if I get fired :floor:

*searches for edible palms*

Sometimes people forget how important how the outside looks is just as important as how the building looks/ how things look inside..  Good looking outside will only add $$$ to their bottom line..  Obviously this will mean more once the COVID situation ends.

Did something similar for a building my landlord owns back in 2019... on top of landscaping the front yard here. No palms for either project,  but both look wayy better than they did.  Front yard  was just dirt/ cat cVap, and weedy Bermuda Grass when i moved here. 

• Like 2

Never seen one here 

Okay, that actually matters a lot.

Caesalpinia pulcherrima and Caesalpinia gilliesii are some other options. Coonties make great ground cover as well as Vinca major.

• Like 1

Our "landscaper" hasn't shown up since October. This is a known brand of hotel and our "landscaping" is currently nothing but dead grass and weeds, and some pretty quickly and cheaply trimmed rose bushes. It's sad. 

This is all hilarious because I had zero interest in any landscaping, plants, palms, or anything before Covid hit lol 

Now I'm a growing palm fanatic and my name is on all of our paperwork 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

This is all hilarious because I had zero interest in any landscaping, plants, palms, or anything before Covid hit lol 

Now I'm a growing palm fanatic and my name is on all of our paperwork 

I myself don't mind doing projects here and there.. Won't work for a Landscape Company again though. Been there, done that, lol.. 

And yes, the madness ..and satisfaction of  being able to say " I planted that "  has only just begun..  You'll likely find yourself critiquing every landscaped ..anything.. you come across from now on. 

• Like 2

Just now, Silas_Sancona said:

I myself don't mind doing projects here and there.. Won't work for a Landscape Company again though. Been there, done that, lol.. 

And yes, the madness ..and satisfaction of  being able to say " I planted that "  has only just begun..  You'll likely find yourself critiquing every landscaped ..anything.. you come across from now on. 

The satisfaction grows with the plants.

• Like 2

Not gonna lie, our competitor next door has a couple nice palms. I used to work there, and they weren't cool to me. Half of my staff used to work there. So I have a petty ulterior motive to have a more attractive landscape --- and with more, nicer palms. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Not gonna lie, our competitor next door has a couple nice palms. I used to work there, and they weren't cool to me. Half of my staff used to work there. So I have a petty ulterior motive to have a more attractive landscape --- and with more, nicer palms. 

f33095bb4e51a96192356bae3a0394ec.jpg.a8ff92e5302c525d9b6eebf8c541c513.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, amh said:

f33095bb4e51a96192356bae3a0394ec.jpg.a8ff92e5302c525d9b6eebf8c541c513.jpg

This sums up the entire hospitality industry

Plus, the owner and my staff really want to keep me here. "Watching my palms grow" would definitely be on a "reasons to stay in this town" list, just under "money" but let's cover "money" first 

• Like 2

It's already pretty well known in the office that I need money for a house. I need a yard for my dog and more room for palms. My staff is on a mission to find a woman for me to convince me to stay here :floor:

• Like 2