IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Ugliest Palm

xoRudy

I’m fully convinced that a untrimmed Arizona Syagrus Romanzoffiana, is the ugliest palm. Sad part is, 90% of Queens in Arizona look like this. They do not do well in the desert, but still so common here. 
Any palm uglier? 

D0C0A160-16D7-430F-8A61-C944496250AE.jpeg

• Like 3

Well. Since we're talking about Queens....how about the transition of one in less than 30 days from healthy to dying due to Fusarium Blight. Now that is ugly.....in a very sad kind of way......:(

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

• Like 3

Can I nominate one of my D. Lutescens? I ordered it from Home Depot and it looked like they dropped it from an airplane onto my porch during a flood. I would have returned it if it didn't show up in the middle of a covid lockdown. The box was soaking wet, obv retaped. Leaves were literally stuffed into the dirt. 

But John decided to save it because that's what John does. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Can I nominate one of my D. Lutescens? I ordered it from Home Depot and it looked like they dropped it from an airplane onto my porch during a flood. I would have returned it if it didn't show up in the middle of a covid lockdown. The box was soaking wet, obv retaped. Leaves were literally stuffed into the dirt. 

But John decided to save it because that's what John does. 

D. Lutescens are beautiful! I wish I could grow them without protect! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

Well. Since we're talking about Queens....how about the transition of one in less than 30 days from healthy to dying due to Fusarium Blight. Now that is ugly.....in a very sad kind of way......:(

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

What happened during this month? Was it freshly planted in December at that size already? Or did the winter just kill it

1 minute ago, xoRudy said:

D. Lutescens are beautiful! I wish I could grow them without protect! 

My little ones are much prettier. UPS beat this one like it owed them money. 

3 minutes ago, xoRudy said:

What happened during this month? Was it freshly planted in December at that size already? Or did the winter just kill it

It was planted over 10 years prior to those photos. I'd have to sift through a bunch of photos to track down the exact time frame. I planted a second one about 20 feet away - both at the top of the dune ridge my home sits on, in order to provide shade in that area. Which they did very well for many years.

All in all I ended up losing 2 in back, those 2 I just mentioned on top of the dune ridge, and another one in the middle of my front yard - which was the largest.

Then one more near my north driveway - but that one was infected with Ganoderma - not Fusarium.

I attribute the Fusarium infections to the aftermath of various storms we've endured in the area. Fronds get tattered and thus susceptible to infection. I know Fusarium is spread by pruning tools mostly but my observations are the tattered foliage is also a factor. Super tattered though - not just tattered.

I have 2 left now and have replaced most of the other ones already. Alexander palms are working out so far pretty good.

Excuse the long diatribe.....just wanted to add some context......

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

Well. Since we're talking about Queens....how about the transition of one in less than 30 days from healthy to dying due to Fusarium Blight. Now that is ugly.....in a very sad kind of way......

Ouch!

• Like 1

Queens are nice if well grown, but the ones with only two live fronds with several dead fronds are ugly.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

2 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Probably Trithrinax Schizophylla450px-Trithrinax_schizophylla_specimen.j

That’s the type of palm that I would just grow one of if I could, I think it looks cool but I wouldn’t want a whole bunch! 

PalmTreeDude

I think that poorly grown queens are the ugliest, as well as poorly grown royals, you know the ones that are about to die with one or two fronds? Although I think that when both of these palms are given what they need they look great, especially royals! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Didn't we have this topic on a previous thread ?  Here is a perennial contender in California,  neglected Washingtonia robusta palms.

robustas 001.jpg

• Like 3

San Francisco, California

53 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Didn't we have this topic on a previous thread ?  Here is a perennial contender in California,  neglected Washingtonia robusta palms.

robustas 001.jpg

It’s like a poor man’s Auracaria!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 5:44 PM, xoRudy said:

I’m fully convinced that a untrimmed Arizona Syagrus Romanzoffiana, is the ugliest palm. Sad part is, 90% of Queens in Arizona look like this. They do not do well in the desert, but still so common here. 
Any palm uglier? 

Ive seen some decent ones,  but most are under-watered and sunburnt in PHX.

20200214_170345_HDR.thumb.jpg.6a5b2e2e9c78ec11171b7f08a07c31db.jpg

20200430_142924.thumb.jpg.891d2722a70b713c6ee2b3160620d914.jpg

20200430_134649.thumb.jpg.7b9a8a12869f68104ef9e506b3e2c7f0.jpg

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 2