IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxy lady info

Hi Don,

Mine is planted with a SW exposure.  It takes over 12 hours of sun during the summer.  But I am in Huntington Beach and you are in Phoenix.  Don’t know how much this would help your growing conditions.  I can say that they love water.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I have mine planted beside a stream that probably leaks and between a beccariophoenix an a Washingtonian so it gets half day sun. It’s nice to know about water because I have read that foxtails do like a lot of water but I have mine planted beside a royal because royals love the sun and provide shade. So it’s nice to know foxy ladies do like water.

Bad news... That's a foxtail,and NOT a foxy lady! Foxy lady fronds are in totally flat planes like a vietchia.I ran into the same problem buying one from jungle music as a seedling.:wacko: Seed was small,looked probable, but as it matured,it became obvious that it was a standard foxtail... Buy 3 gallon or larger to be sure.

They do love water in the growing season,and while I have to say they are a tough grow in Phoenix,it is possible to grow them in a protected situation,like yours.Mine has been planted in the ground for about 20 years from a 5 gallon purchased at Whitfills; the first nursery to bring a few into the valley in 2000. ($75) It has totally defoliated a few times over the years,but has matured,and actually produced a few viable seeds 1 year.Yours is a young'un,but in 20 years,it could look like this!

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

16107299338437704148844002159387.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

2 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Bad news... That's a foxtail,and NOT a foxy lady! Foxy lady fronds are in totally flat planes like a vietchia.I ran into the same problem buying one from jungle music as a seedling.:wacko: Seed was small,looked probable, but as it matured,it became obvious that it was a standard foxtail... Buy 3 gallon or larger to be sure.

They do love water in the growing season,and while I have to say they are a tough grow in Phoenix,it is possible to grow them in a protected situation,like yours.Mine has been planted in the ground for about 20 years from a 5 gallon purchased at Whitfills; the first nursery to bring a few into the valley in 2000. ($75) It has totally defoliated a few times over the years,but has matured,and actually produced a few viable seeds 1 year.Yours is a young'un,but in 20 years,it could look like this!

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

16107299338437704148844002159387.jpg

I Agree on that identification ! 

I bought mine from Jeff Marcus I don’t know how they know what they have but I would guess that is buy the shape of the seed or something. It is much different looking than my foxtail.

Here's a typical foxtail baby;I've grown 100; just like yours.Fronds need to be in a totally FLAT plane,to be a foxy lady... The one I bought from jungle music obviously was a man made hybrid,as the seed WAS about half the size of a standard foxtail,but as the plant matured,it was obviously a foxtail! I believe jungle music bought a group of possible foxy lady's,but some of them trended towards exhibiteding the traits of the foxtail parent... Once a leaf goes out of plane,it's a FOXTAIL,no argument.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

16107312163574906730525227571609.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Agreed, foxtail.  Sorry - you should get a refund assuming you paid Foxy Lady prices!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Cool palm!

I got lucky!

Mine just showed up in one of my beds. Kinda crowded there, so I re-located it where it has a little more space. Will probably move it again in a year or so. It didn't miss a beat on the transplant, thankfully. ;)

IMG_9573.JPG

IMG_9575.JPG

IMG_9576.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Agreed, foxtail.  Sorry - you should get a refund assuming you paid Foxy Lady prices!

:lol: I mentioned my experience to jungle music and just got the old shoulder shrug... After all,it was only a $35 liner. You place your bets and take your chances! :36_14_15[1]:

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

:lol: I mentioned my experience to jungle music and just got the old shoulder shrug... After all,it was only a $35 liner. You place your bets and take your chances! :36_14_15[1]:

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

Someone needs to update his business model. I find it totally unacceptable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Someone needs to update his business model. I find it totally unacceptable.

Agreed. Mistakes happen. But you have to make it right.