IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acanthophoenix Rubra

JubaeaMan138

So I have this palm it’s small I don’t know anything about this species at all. Any recommendations for growing inland . It’s in a 2 gallon pot. Color and spines made this palm attract me . This was grown from seed from Dennis willobys tree . 

image.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

These can take a good amount of sun from an early age. I don’t know much of California but here in Hawaii they take all day sun from 1gallin size and grow fast

• Like 1

It's been a pretty good grower for me; moderately fast. Not sure about full blazing, low humidity in SoCal; some protection never hurts. Cold tolerance is similar to Archontophoenix. (Have them growing side by side, so comparisons are easy). Beautiful palm, completely unattainable until a few years ago..

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Excellent info  ! I have to admit after looking at pictures seems as though they are much more attractive when younger . Then again I’ve thought a lot of different palms to not be attractive in pictures until you actually see one in person and then your blown away 

• Like 1

Mine is doing well for me too, especially since I put it in the ground last spring, has really taken off. Doesn't love (but so far tolerates) the hot dry winds I get. Has some protection from canopy, and doesn't appear to show any immediate damage from the -1, -2 celsius temps I've had in my garden this week... Much hardier than I expected. 

I wish it were more easily available (and easier to germinate)... 

J

Edited by Jan Jo

On 1/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, Jan Jo said:

Mine is doing well for me too, especially since I put it in the ground last spring, has really taken off. Doesn't love (but so far tolerates) the hot dry winds I get. Has some protection from canopy, and doesn't appear to show any immediate damage from the -1, -2 celsius temps I've had in my garden this week... Much hardier than I expected. 

I wish it were more easily available (and easier to germinate)... 

J

Meant to add a pic to accompany my message... That's my acanthophoenix rubra, growing fairly well (under the protection of Livistona Chinensis and Bismarckia) ;)

IMG_20210110_142512_copy_1000x750_copy_500x375.jpg.0b684d80df9981827a5c2825be47fe17.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I am 8 Miles Inland with lower humidity than the coast and the first one I planted did not do well in half day sun at a young age. The second one I planted in filtered light is doing fantastic. My suggestion is to let it emerge into the sun

• 10 months later...

I’ll snap another pic of mine . Mine should be going into a 5 gallon  in spring . This species at first didn’t interest me at all. But when I seen it for sale it was one of those you never hear much about it seems Like . Looks better with each leaf . 

• 5 months later...
On 1/17/2021 at 1:20 PM, Jan Jo said:

Meant to add a pic to accompany my message... That's my acanthophoenix rubra, growing fairly well (under the protection of Livistona Chinensis and Bismarckia) ;)

IMG_20210110_142512_copy_1000x750_copy_500x375.jpg.0b684d80df9981827a5c2825be47fe17.jpg

Any updates?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 8:15 AM, Phoenikakias said:

Any updates?

Hi! Sorry, just saw this... Yes, it's doing really well, I didn't expect it to but so far so good... 

IMG_20220508_161045_copy_750x1000.jpg.ae7adfc3a65f89983924763a5c64efca.jpgIMG_20220508_161131_copy_750x1000.jpg.2af9d658c0de0742738ec6e961f795e5.jpgIMG_20220508_161247_copy_750x1000.jpg.c0deedce3ce79eee9d8810e07f8fa7c1.jpgIMG_20220508_162756_copy_750x1000.jpg.84877df5c69d1cd4a9d983cc2d640681.jpg

• Like 3

@Jan Jo just wow! But are tou sure your plant is the rubra sp? Because I can not see any white on the leaf backside...

• Like 1

I bought it as Rubra, and I expected to get redder as it got bigger. Do you think it's Crinita? 

It looks very much like the four 1g rubras I just got.  They are 40-50 inches from soil to leaf tip.  The undersides of mine are a little whiteish, but it’s not that obvious at a glance.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They loose the amount of spines when they start to mature. Here is the one I have that is just starting to trunk

95EF2CBD-47DC-4518-865D-2BDF3D565191.jpeg

D55CEF33-9E18-4C30-A96D-99B3FC03976E.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

I bought it as Rubra, and I expected to get redder as it got bigger. Do you think it's Crinita? 

16 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

It looks very much like the four 1g rubras I just got.  They are 40-50 inches from soil to leaf tip.  The undersides of mine are a little whiteish, but it’s not that obvious at a glance.  

I do not have whatever experience on the genus, but from what I have read, wax on leaf backside is the distinctive feature between crinita and rubra. Perhaps the quantity of wax varies depending on climate and/or other grow conditions or wax is not so abundant as one may have assumed and is therefore difficult to be captured in a picture. As I have said, I have zero personal experience. @LJGcan provide valuable first hand information.

Edited by Phoenikakias

Here’s one of mine starting to wake up in late spring. The crownshaft at this age is just “the bomb”..

858074C6-EEE5-4949-A509-61E972B01217.jpeg

73D7FD02-980B-4E64-8398-1EC35B3C8E9A.jpeg

• Like 3

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Beautiful palms but a big fat nope for me. I just can’t do the spines. But each to their own!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

22 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

I do not have whatever experience on the genus, but from what I have read, wax on leaf backside is the distinctive feature between crinita and rubra. Perhaps the quantity of wax varies depending on climate and/or other grow conditions or wax is not so abundant as one may have assumed and is therefore difficult to be captured in a picture. As I have said, I have zero personal experience. @LJGcan provide valuable first hand information.

Yes, this is Rubra. Another tell is the green petioles verses brown. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin