IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps

Palm D

Tracvhycarpus princeps.  Does anyone have one of these beauties or growing seedlings or young palms?  This nis still a rarity in Canada but I see it often for sale in Europe and Asia.  Lets see some photos of yours!  Cheers

IMG_0106.PNG

• Like 3

Nothing of any size, but here’s my biggest. I’ll snap another picture when the sun hits it. 
B65AAEC6-131F-4887-84E0-FCBC20C53207.thumb.jpeg.ddf9418ca1590c5df6b929ebc8dd41e3.jpeg

4F5AF115-9B86-4E81-A3FF-FC60EFF1B224.thumb.jpeg.6f2bc3815efc8dadacca02862c1f7f5c.jpeg

has been in ground a year, and had to do a full recycle on its “not grown in desert” fronds. Should move more this growing season. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Not much to look at, but I have two that I planted in the ground last spring.  They were painfully slow for me in the pots, but have noticed an appreciable difference in growth so I am hoping this summer they take off.  Mine are staying very low and flat and this point in time which is a little odd but I am sure they will grow out of it soon.  Plants sourced from @TexasColdHardyPalms

• Like 5

I had one that kept getting funky rot issues.  I'm pretty sure the term used here is "doinker".   It recovered from the doinking situation once, but it did not the second time around.  I don't think it liked all the moisture it was getting here in SE NC, and it finally checked out during one of the wettest years on record. 

WP_20160309_003.thumb.jpg.bf6362a26fe1e0d03a73b7f9b91bc47b.jpg

Mid-doink

TP.thumb.jpg.6c4b8d24a7a02daec891ae9b4a062a74.jpg

A year or two later, recovery post-doink.  However, shortly after this all of it's roots rotted off and it was tryng to lean and doink again. Now dead....

So far, I'm having much better luck with the hybrid waggie x princeps.  They are much more vigorous growers for me (so far).

20201018_111939.thumb.jpg.389d874df68f9ad010659e69eca3cca6.jpg

Hybrids that I have high hopes for.   2 years from seed?  Much much faster for me than princeps....

• Like 8

I grew mine from seed in 2013 or so and planted one out when it still had undivided leaves. Since I only have a small garden, it only receives sun in the afternoon which makes it grow even slower than usual. Other than that, it has been very coldhardy, robust and trouble-free. It has seen around -10C and several days in a row with daytime temps below 0C on multiple occasions.

DSC_0054_1.thumb.JPG.7c8ab2db93c9b0b2c3ee1f75da532791.JPG

20200913_142009.thumb.jpg.825a0dd3acbe7735210e71aa4f5fbe3b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I have one young one in the ground.  Finally getting a little taller than the surrounding plants. Slower than fortuneii but faster than chamaerops. 

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Flow said:

I grew mine from seed in 2013 or so and planted one out when it still had undivided leaves. Since I only have a small garden, it only receives sun in the afternoon which makes it grow even slower than usual. Other than that, it has been very coldhardy, robust and trouble-free. It has seen around -10C and several days in a row with daytime temps below 0C on multiple occasions.

DSC_0054_1.thumb.JPG.7c8ab2db93c9b0b2c3ee1f75da532791.JPG

20200913_142009.thumb.jpg.825a0dd3acbe7735210e71aa4f5fbe3b.jpg

Where did you get the seed from?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flow said:

Garry Tsen, coldplant.com:greenthumb:

And just an FYI.  I've had an order for princeps seeds from coldplant.com since last summer.  They said seeds would be available in December, then they got heavy rains and were not able to collect seed this year.  So Garry said December of 2021 until they are available from him.

• Like 1

Trachycarpus princeps front and T. ukhrulensis (Manipur) in back.  Planted in extremely sandy soil. 

IMG_6815.JPG

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

20200907_123209.thumb.jpg.ed7eb3e99b4d29090fa842f90f3cd8d1.jpg

These seem to like neglect. I hardly ever water them and they seem to like it.

• Like 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 9:41 PM, Chad king NC said:

Here is mine. 

20200619_084051.jpg

20200714_083735.jpg

Your Trachycarpus princeps looks great! How is its hardiness compared to Trachycarpus fortunei? I would like to grow one!

I have a few hundred in the ground.  When they're 1g to 3g size they're very pretty with silver leaves on both sides but they all loose the top side color after a while. 

3 hours ago, Palm Man said:

Your Trachycarpus princeps looks great! How is its hardiness compared to Trachycarpus fortunei? I would like to grow one!

I have not given it a true test yet.  This yr it is wrapped with a frost cloth and no heat.  Maybe next yr I will leave it exposed.

• 10 months later...

Just ordered some seeds from Gary. How are everyone’s princeps doing? It was a good test for palms last year in the PNW between the heat dome in the summer and our latest arctic outbreak. 

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

They’re fine -Tough palms. They can take more sun, heat and lack of water than fortunei. Plus they don’t seem to mind sandy soil.  My feeling is they are slightly less cold hardy than fortunei. 

Personally I like them more than fortunei. The only downside to them is they grow pretty darn slow. I’m hoping they pick up speed once they start trunking. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I lost one in Natchez, Mississippi in a protected, shady spot in the 13F experienced in early 2018. It had made it through three days of sub-freezing temps (repeatedly to 18F) in 2010, a number of other hard freezes, but that really cold jab, though brief to 13F, appeared to be the end of it. It was a very pretty little palm, but very slow growing for me. Perhaps I needed to have it in a sunnier position. I had a number of fortunei that were bulletproof through that, plus a couple of different martianus types came through with little to no damage, but this one collapsed.

• Like 3

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

56 minutes ago, mnorell said:

I lost one in Natchez, Mississippi in a protected, shady spot in the 13F experienced in early 2018. It had made it through three days of sub-freezing temps (repeatedly to 18F) in 2010, a number of other hard freezes, but that really cold jab, though brief to 13F, appeared to be the end of it. It was a very pretty little palm, but very slow growing for me. Perhaps I needed to have it in a sunnier position. I had a number of fortunei that were bulletproof through that, plus a couple of different martianus types came through with little to no damage, but this one collapsed.

That is odd. Because Martianus is generally considered to be the less cold hardy than princeps. Maybe because it was a small plant that it wasn’t able to survive the cold.

I always thought Martianus  was a 8b/9a ish palm. :huh:

Edited by RJ

Yeah...it doesn't make sense that a Princeps would be lost before Martianus

but there are a lot of factors that go into hardiness. I do like the Waggie x Princeps crosses.

They are interesting and so are the small differences in hybrids.

SAM_2038.JPG

5 hours ago, RJ said:

Martianus is more like high end of 9a/9b

T.princeps is for sure one of my favourite cold hardy palms, yes it is slower but it’s well worth it in my opinion. 

This beauty was grown from seed in about 2005 from Ruud at Golden Lotus from Thailand, back when he was the only person selling T.princeps seeds back in the day. 

This actually flowered for the first time last year so we have pure princeps seeds as I pollinated with another stonegate princeps. 

It has incredibly stiff leaves like a waggie. 

16F4CA0E-166E-4CCE-80DD-FD6CFE6F6BC0.jpeg

• Like 10

On 1/9/2022 at 11:26 AM, RJ said:

Yes. These are the most tender of the Trachycarpus in my experience and they get leaf burn around -5c. Latisectus is marginally better. 

3 hours ago, Vic said:

T.princeps is for sure one of my favourite cold hardy palms, yes it is slower but it’s well worth it in my opinion. 

This beauty was grown from seed in about 2005 from Ruud at Golden Lotus from Thailand, back when he was the only person selling T.princeps seeds back in the day. 

This actually flowered for the first time last year so we have pure princeps seeds as I pollinated with another stonegate princeps. 

Thats not terrible growth for a similar climate, thanks for the input! Glad to see it thriving for you and there is now a cultivated seed source in the UK!

Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

On 1/10/2022 at 4:01 AM, Vic said:

Completely amazing to see one growing this large outside of habitat!!!  I can honestly say that we people in the States admire all of you that do extreme zone pushing in Europe.  Its a testament to your love and dedication for this beautiful genus.  

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

On 1/14/2021 at 12:49 PM, Fallen Munk said:

Here's my pair.

princeps.jpg

Pretty! ... what's your little cactus in the ground there? Can't tell if that's a variety of E. triglochidiatus  or E. coccineus (they're so variable) or something like C. vivipara or C. missouriensis.   :-)

On 1/10/2022 at 4:04 AM, Vic said:

Yes. These are the most tender of the Trachycarpus in my experience and they get leaf burn around -5c. Latisectus is marginally better. 

Hmmm I thought I'd read in other sources that T. princeps was cold-hardier than T. latisectus... any others have experience with these 2 palms?  

6 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Hmmm I thought I'd read in other sources that T. princeps was cold-hardier than T. latisectus... any others have experience with these 2 palms?  

I believe he’s talking about T. martianus. I have the “Nepal” form started from seed of T. martianus in my greenhouse. They grew fine in the summer, but are not liking the cool, dark weather right now and look like crap.  I’m hoping they recover and take the conditions a little better as they get larger as they are certainly a pretty Trachy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Princeps is way hardier than latisectus. It’s not cold enough to test princeps here, certainly not established ones, but I hear they are similar in hardiness to fortunei. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vic said:

Princeps is way hardier than latisectus. It’s not cold enough to test princeps here, certainly not established ones, but I hear they are similar in hardiness to fortunei. 

I agree with this. 

• Like 1