IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plant Identification,Who Knows Plums?

amh

I know plums aren't tropical, but I need some help with identification. The area is the south eastern Edwards Plateau.

I found what appears to be 3 plum trees growing in my backyard; I believe they are Prunus mexicana, but I could be mistaken. Does anyone have an ID?

20180627_12_24_22.thumb.jpg.f163f5768b239399382a78bb0c409590.jpg

20180626_19_10_55.thumb.jpg.d525c57bdad3dde7d2d1f2a788a55fdd.jpg

14 minutes ago, amh said:

I know plums aren't tropical, but I need some help with identification. The area is the south eastern Edwards Plateau.

I found what appears to be 3 plum trees growing in my backyard; I believe they are Prunus mexicana, but I could be mistaken. Does anyone have an ID?

20180627_12_24_22.thumb.jpg.f163f5768b239399382a78bb0c409590.jpg

20180626_19_10_55.thumb.jpg.d525c57bdad3dde7d2d1f2a788a55fdd.jpg

Thinking your hunch is correct.. but honestly haven't observed this sp. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Thinking your hunch is correct.. but honestly haven't observed this sp. 

I've never seen pictures of the mexicana seedlings, but there are lots of various wild plums in my area. The leaves are too ovate for Prunus munsoniana and Prunus rivularis.

1 minute ago, amh said:

I've never seen pictures of the mexicana seedlings, but there are lots of various wild plums in my area. The leaves are too ovate for Prunus munsoniana and Prunus rivularis.

Can see what you mean.. Leaves didn't look right for P. americana, which supposedly also occurs in a few spots out there. Something makes me think the leaves on Mexicana might be softer.. or have a sand papery texture too rather than a smooth or shiny feel/look, like other Prunus.. 

• Like 1

I have P. americana, but they are not of fruiting age yet. There is a huge variation in P. mexicana leaf shape from the pictures that I see online. The leaves are fairly rough and there is a large wild plum growing about 400 feet away in a different yard. I haven't been up close to the tree in about 25 years, but it is at least 20ft tall.

Also, do you have any experience with Prunus subcordata?

11 minutes ago, amh said:

I have P. americana, but they are not of fruiting age yet. There is a huge variation in P. mexicana leaf shape from the pictures that I see online. The leaves are fairly rough and there is a large wild plum growing about 400 feet away in a different yard. I haven't been up close to the tree in about 25 years, but it is at least 20ft tall.

Also, do you have any experience with Prunus subcordata?

That one i don't, though i'd bet it grew in areas i hiked back in the Bay Area growing up..

Just now, Silas_Sancona said:

That one i don't, though i'd bet it grew in areas i hiked back in the Bay Area growing up..

I have some seeds stratifying right now and was wondering about the plants vigor.

Any experience with Prunus ilicifolia?

Just now, amh said:

I have some seeds stratifying right now and was wondering about the plants vigor.

Any experience with Prunus ilicifolia?

Familiar w/ that species.. but mostly pants observed in habitat.. Have heard different info. regarding germinating seeds.. Some say they're easy, other info says germinating them can be tricky.  Very tough plant though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Familiar w/ that species.. but mostly pants observed in habitat.. Have heard different info. regarding germinating seeds.. Some say they're easy, other info says germinating them can be tricky.  Very tough plant though.

I've grown them in the past, but they died while in pots, I think I had bad soil. I did stratify the seeds and had a very high germination rate.

I'm mostly curious about the cold hardiness. Some sources say 10-15F and the next will say 20F at the coldest.

3 minutes ago, amh said:

I've grown them in the past, but they died while in pots, I think I had bad soil. I did stratify the seeds and had a very high germination rate.

I'm mostly curious about the cold hardiness. Some sources say 10-15F and the next will say 20F at the coldest.

I'd say closer to the 10-15F, maybe lower.. Description from Las Pilitas nursery says young plants, say 1-2 years of age, can be killed by temps below 20F, but older plants can supposedly survive temps down to 0F, maybe colder..
Grows in numerous areas that would be considered 8B, maybe colder in a few locations in it's range ..so the cold tolerance sound correct, imo.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...