Sign in to follow this  
Dimimelbourne

New Areca Vestiaria just arrived

Dimimelbourne

I just wanted to share some excitement with all of you. I just purchased an areca vestiaria online. Arrived beautifully with a brand new spear already emerging. I believe it’s a red form and I can’t wait to see some stilt roots on it.

I would love to see some of yours and would gladly hear any advice you can give me.

For the time being, I have it by a large frosted west facing window indoors as well as some overhead LED lighting. I have a lipstick palm which seems to be happy there too. 
I’m going to keep it inside for the most part as my climate is far from tropical but I plan on taking it outside whenever the weather is willing.

F56AEBE4-93C0-4286-90FF-10E5BE5A2425.jpeg

211ABCD9-E47D-46D3-AF28-0E628D3586A2.jpeg

03A66643-EFA2-4C87-9AF1-72988E61BD33.jpeg

• Like 4

Palms Brisbane

Nice Palm. I only have one red form I bought about 6months ago.
Trying to find seeds so can have heaps!

Here is mine :)

2E385635-EE42-400B-8A36-983A61DBF12E.jpeg

• Like 2

tim_brissy_13

I’ve got one as my indoor feature palm here in Melbourne too. So far has pushed out some nice new growth since October but seems difficult to avoid brown tipping which is perhaps not surprising considering its climate preference. I assume it is the dry air so I’ve started misting occasionally. 

Mine has 3 stems which are the red form and one which appears to be an orange - must’ve been a couple of seeds grown together

F5755EFC-D89B-4503-AE9B-3EF762E03FE5.jpeg

• Like 2

Bazza

Nice!  Congrats on your new baby.

This species is on my shopping list for this spring.... :P

• Like 1

Dimimelbourne
2 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I’ve got one as my indoor feature palm here in Melbourne too. So far has pushed out some nice new growth since October but seems difficult to avoid brown tipping which is perhaps not surprising considering its climate preference. I assume it is the dry air so I’ve started misting occasionally. 

Mine has 3 stems which are the red form and one which appears to be an orange - must’ve been a couple of seeds grown together

F5755EFC-D89B-4503-AE9B-3EF762E03FE5.jpeg

Very nice! How tall is yours? The dypsis baronii black stem I got from you finally pushed out a new spear too 

Dimimelbourne
2 hours ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Nice Palm. I only have one red form I bought about 6months ago.
Trying to find seeds so can have heaps!

Here is mine :)

2E385635-EE42-400B-8A36-983A61DBF12E.jpeg

Beautiful plant, great color 

Dimimelbourne
1 hour ago, Bazza said:

Nice!  Congrats on your new baby.

This species is on my shopping list for this spring.... :P

We all look forward to the pics once you get it!

• Like 1

Bazza
1 hour ago, Dimimelbourne said:

We all look forward to the pics once you get it!

And I look forward to posting them too! :lol:

• Like 1

tim_brissy_13
5 hours ago, Dimimelbourne said:

Very nice! How tall is yours? The dypsis baronii black stem I got from you finally pushed out a new spear too 

It’s only about 50-60cm (2’) tall, so maybe not much of a feature yet but I love the colour it’s already showing. 

Good to hear about the D baronii, sounds like it’s in good hands. 

chad2468emr

I have a quadruplet that I purchased last august and has been doing pretty well. I keep it in a SW window sill as of the last few months since the lows here in central FL haven’t high enough to keep it outdoors. It’s grown so well that I actually had to repot it mid-winter which was surprising. Brief battle with spider mites that yellowed one of the leaves, but since it’s small it was easy to literally just wipe them all off the leaves every other day until they gave up haha. 

I also have a lipstick palm that has become a semi-permanent indoor resident this winter, and it gets warm steamy showers every other day where I flush the pot out. The vestiaria doesn’t need nearly as much water as the lipstick, but they do LOVE humidity so I put it on a shelf in the shower when I do this and it gets plenty of steam + warmth. Keep the soil moist, watering just before it dries out, but make sure it drains well enough to not stay water logged. 

Below is the group when I first got it and then two pics of how they’re looking now in my plant room / home office, which I took just now. 

AUGUST 2020:

00F0372C-5413-4EE1-BBCF-B8AACC5BF430.thumb.jpeg.026e6b9a4b8ba51e6d9c1950568a7087.jpeg

JAN 2021: 

59C20AC1-EBC8-454B-8C94-671B2CBB8C6D.thumb.jpeg.9a2e085f0da22aaa940feaa2092bc10b.jpeg

C05EF036-1631-4DA8-8D8C-F2F5B3C83874.thumb.jpeg.144b983d256ddb66b422f53c7f442c21.jpeg

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 1

Dimimelbourne
On 1/15/2021 at 12:29 AM, chad2468emr said:

I have a quadruplet that I purchased last august and has been doing pretty well. I keep it in a SW window sill as of the last few months since the lows here in central FL haven’t high enough to keep it outdoors. It’s grown so well that I actually had to repot it mid-winter which was surprising. Brief battle with spider mites that yellowed one of the leaves, but since it’s small it was easy to literally just wipe them all off the leaves every other day until they gave up haha. 

I also have a lipstick palm that has become a semi-permanent indoor resident this winter, and it gets warm steamy showers every other day where I flush the pot out. The vestiaria doesn’t need nearly as much water as the lipstick, but they do LOVE humidity so I put it on a shelf in the shower when I do this and it gets plenty of steam + warmth. Keep the soil moist, watering just before it dries out, but make sure it drains well enough to not stay water logged. 

Below is the group when I first got it and then two pics of how they’re looking now in my plant room / home office, which I took just now. 

AUGUST 2020:

00F0372C-5413-4EE1-BBCF-B8AACC5BF430.thumb.jpeg.026e6b9a4b8ba51e6d9c1950568a7087.jpeg

JAN 2021: 

59C20AC1-EBC8-454B-8C94-671B2CBB8C6D.thumb.jpeg.9a2e085f0da22aaa940feaa2092bc10b.jpeg

C05EF036-1631-4DA8-8D8C-F2F5B3C83874.thumb.jpeg.144b983d256ddb66b422f53c7f442c21.jpeg

Ooh Dam they’re looking great! That’s some really good progress. I also have a deep love for the red ones too. I’ll try and give it as much humidity as possible. I keep it right next to my lipstick palm which sits in a tray of water so I hope it gets some good humidity from the evaporation from that. Spider mites plague me. I shower my plants and use sprays and yet eventually, that awful webbing always shows up again. 

John hovancsek

These palms never get old. I love all forms but only have the red and orange. Here is a pic of the red and yes they are fast growing palms. 2 years from 1 gallon 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dimimelbourne
On 1/17/2021 at 4:00 AM, John hovancsek said:

These palms never get old. I love all forms but only have the red and orange. Here is a pic of the red and yes they are fast growing palms. 2 years from 1 gallon 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow that’s fast! Yours look stunning. Mine will predominantly be living indoors so it might be a fair bit slower to get some size on it.

• Upvote 1