IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Veitchia arecina Seedlings In The Dark

Butch

Something about this photo is so visually satisfying, haha. So awesome to see that many sprouts shooting out green . 

Now that they've sprouted, I'd think they need to be moved to a location with a source of light ASAP. Since they've been in the dark, start with shade for sure. You could also add some grow lights to your garage if you wanted to keep them there until spring, since seedlings are small and its easy to get a setup that provides enough light. I would also move them into some plug trays at least ASAP, since the more roots they put out next to each other, the more they will be difficult to separate as they get going. Not familiar enough with these species to know if they develop root systems quick enough to where plug trays would be too small, though. For example, bismarckias need a 12+inch deep pot immediately upon sprouting since their roots dig real deep real quick. 

Edited by chad2468emr

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Good work. Two inches is far too shallow for palm seeds, 6"+ is better. Veitchias are rockets, not many palms are faster.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Agree w/ Meg..  Very fast.  Ones i'd started in 1gal pots were pretty much ready to go into 3gals within a year.. Planted out several around my old yard as well. This was in FL. though. Could be a tad slower under S. Cal. conditions.   Fyi, if i were already out there, i'd be messaging you to request some.. Hope others do.  In the top 10 on my list of favorite taller pinnate-leaved, crown shafted palms.

11 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree w/ Meg..  Very fast.  Ones i'd started in 1gal pots were pretty much ready to go into 3gals within a year.. Planted out several around my old yard as well. This was in FL. though. Could be a tad slower under S. Cal. conditions.   Fyi, if i were already out there, i'd be messaging you to request some.. Hope others do.  In the top 10 on my list of favorite taller pinnate-leaved, crown shafted palms.

Interesting. They are not readily available here despite their beauty, rocket growth and prolific reproduction. I have joannis, arecina, spiralis, winin & metiti and I couldn't sell or even give away seeds or seedlings. I compost them by the bushel every year. Veitchia seedlings are the toughest I've ever encountered - I have to pry them out of the ground. The biggest issue with this genus is cold sensitivity. Or a lightning strike once a joannis gets 100' tall.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

2 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Interesting. They are not readily available here despite their beauty, rocket growth and prolific reproduction. I have joannis, arecina, spiralis, winin & metiti and I couldn't sell or even give away seeds or seedlings. I compost them by the bushel every year. Veitchia seedlings are the toughest I've ever encountered - I have to pry them out of the ground. The biggest issue with this genus is cold sensitivity. Or a lightning strike once a joannis gets 100' tall.

Back in 2011, they were the first tropical- looking palms that caught my attention when i started visiting  Kopsick..  I know " Coconut " is often the first thing that comes to mind for many when imagining the tropical look ( palm-wise ) but for me, it was these ..and Kentiopsis o.   Always found it odd that ..as you mention, almost never saw them offered at any of the big box stores i'd check out, at least in/around Pinellas County, or coastal Bradenton/Sarasota,  despite being easy to grow, fast, and highly attractive.

A conundrum or maybe I'm missing something. When I visit local nurseries/garden centers I want to scream when I see row upon row of usual suspects: coconuts, Washies, queens, golden canes, cat palms and - drum roll - Christmas Palms! Bah humbug. SWFL is a horticultural backwater.

• Like 2

Meg

Florida

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

MUCH slower grow out west! Here is my community pot of 2 year old arecina seedlings. Will be going into 5 gallon pots this spring,then up for sale 2 years from now @$60 each.The fastest palms out here honestly take about 5 years to reach a sellable 5 gallon size. ( The preferred size of west coast buyers) Slow growers like Coccothrinax or Pseudophoenix take me 15 years from seed to produce a nice 5 gallon plant!:wacko: (5 gallon Florida size,not 5 gallon California size; there is a huge difference...)

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

16106443653915853396945703350386.jpg

16106459970206187961463645094003.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

@Butch You're not too far away from La Habra.   @DoomsDave likes Veitchia arecina.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Butch You're not too far away from La Habra.   @DoomsDave likes Veitchia arecina.

Dave is welcome to as many as he would like... Anyone else is welcome too... 

Would the red solo cups work for planting the sprouts into?... I guess I could look for some tree pots... Thanks for all the advice folks... This is a good bunch...

Butch

17 hours ago, Butch said:

Dave is welcome to as many as he would like... Anyone else is welcome too... 

Would the red solo cups work for planting the sprouts into?... I guess I could look for some tree pots... Thanks for all the advice folks... This is a good bunch...

Butch

@NOT A TA has a good suggestion as far as accommodating future growth.  I have a bunch that are in 32 oz cups right now as pots, but I don't plan for them to be in there longer than a year. 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

16 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

They're marginal, but they'll grow. I'd give them some light and as much heat as possible. Or, maybe come visit . . .

Keep a few and try them in the garden. I have one, and babies, too. Their big Achilles heel is a freeze.

I've been lucky... Mine had a tough time as a youngster, but did better as an adult, and throws a ton of seed... You all gave me solid advice on a bout of fungus that it got, and it's doing nicely now. It is all set to drop the last of its atrophied fronds and looks great...

Butch

And thanks a gain for the invite.. I really will have to come over and see your oasis.. Do you need any of the seedlings or seeds?

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

A conundrum or maybe I'm missing something. When I visit local nurseries/garden centers I want to scream when I see row upon row of usual suspects: coconuts, Washies, queens, golden canes, cat palms and - drum roll - Christmas Palms! Bah humbug. SWFL is a horticultural backwater.

THIS. If it weren’t for this forum, I’d never know about any interesting or rare palm species. Googling barely even helps because most lists of “cool happenin’ palm trees” are basically an inventory list for big box stores. Even when I lived further south, I was hard pressed to find anything other than the usual fare. And the Christmas palms..... GOOD GOD, the Christmas palms... I can’t decide if I’m more tired of seeing those or P. roebelinii.

While these veitchia may be sensitive to 9b cold, there are SO MANY interesting species that look 100x better than the dime a dozen palms even most “specialty” nurseries are stuffed with, and they’d do just fine. They can sell coconuts in 9b, no reason they can’t sell some interesting species that can actually live here, albeit with some frost damage. I’ve literally only even seen one pot of archontophoenix for sale for crying out loud..... and I bought them, lol!

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias.