IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea regia, help? Fronds are bunching up

Chris WCT

Hello 

I'm looking for help, I have a friend that has an established Roystonea regia growing here in St Pete. The fronds new and old look to be not extending or benched up at the top of the crown shaft. Any Ideas? 

Thank you for any help 

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATMwMAItMDEyYy01YTdmLTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA1Tqnu6vlGZAqAlHbhSMdAoHAGCHRQYQqr1Kk6EL%2FUWDycgAAAIBDAAAAGCHRQYQqr1Kk6EL%2FUWDycgAA%2BozHSAAAAABEgAQAInzUUrUY8lPq1XJWq8Es1A%3D&thumbnailType=2&isc=1&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjMwODE3OUNFNUY0QjUyRTc4QjJEQjg5NjZCQUY0RUNDMzcyN0FFRUUiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiJNSUY1emw5TFV1ZUxMYmlXYTY5T3pEY25ydTQifQ.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.ceqTU3ck9wcOzvgz9PNzCV1oOQ2TGgpbFo_h0Cuov_02QNrUCos4SS1IAMjO09uk1lVtQfONzMl1OZMdA0dl3EXCEUvH2IXVrnFRGnF9O0xKDQbKUmBIGJL1KpQP0UOSj490gTGmd5DVdbPLlHwhkaDlPqoN2T9TdxeFeKumbVgfdBPdrXucYBLrxx4LWP0uG4uhRQW9cNekGRAwEe0SJYZlShMMCwYJldxvyX88ak9CwwozpEmRKjAnS5Q7g1xRHVjst0_v413TlJsofjrv3ttX3-te6ZMh7k5WYUBVRsAVOFnM1dU3kSO6oNJ9gp-ynYDT8WtNM8n_nI89mFf0lQ&X-OWA-CANARY=XoOeb-ZjZ0aMMzmKUaegofCwBDgauNgYoQM9rouMeNolTAOLALlQrrHgeP4mGjDewaqSh_bTGg4.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210103002.06&animation=true

Chris 

Photos?!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

12 hours ago, Chris WCT said:

Image attached 

871D7128-FCDE-4E22-AB84-4DCB383EAC40.jpeg

That looks healthy to me unless I’m missing something.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

leaves look a little short for our area with that much trunk, but its not a problem.  Sometimes new leaves emergence slows down during the winter and this could happen, but a little palm fertilizer in a month or so and it should be off to the races.   The palm doesnt have much free root area with all that concrete nearby, but it should be fine.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

leaves look a little short for our area with that much trunk, but its not a problem.  Sometimes new leaves emergence slows down during the winter and this could happen, but a little palm fertilizer in a month or so and it should be off to the races.   The palm doesnt have much free root area with all that concrete nearby, but it should be fine.

Totally agree with this. Water and fertilizer and it should be good. Since it’s in a somewhat constricted space, I would use palm fertilizer on the lawn surrounding it. The lawn will not care but the palm will be happy. If it is just getting lawn fertilizer, which is usually only nitrogen, it can develop deficiencies. This could be a manganese deficiency starting. I see many palms planted in this manner which develop problems later in life. They do ok until they get to this size. Then, the lack of K or micros or whatever starts to show. Frequently the palms take a turn and never recover.

Manganese. A lot of people don’t even know what that is.

image.jpeg.f9b67d9f5e60f1d7aaa472044301c2eb.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Totally agree with this. Water and fertilizer and it should be good. Since it’s in a somewhat constricted space, I would use palm fertilizer on the lawn surrounding it. The lawn will not care but the palm will be happy. If it is just getting lawn fertilizer, which is usually only nitrogen, it can develop deficiencies. This could be a manganese deficiency starting. I see many palms planted in this manner which develop problems later in life. They do ok until they get to this size. Then, the lack of K or micros or whatever starts to show. Frequently the palms take a turn and never recover.

Manganese. A lot of people don’t even know what that is.

image.jpeg.f9b67d9f5e60f1d7aaa472044301c2eb.jpeg

I can agree could a a slight Mn deficiency.  Lawn lime also has the wrong Ca/Mg ratio(too much Ca) and can cause Mg deficiency as they compete for the same cation exchange sites.  Garden lime is closer to dolomite which is what palms really want.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

PalmNutritionalDeficiencyCorrectionAndAntagonisticNutritionalRelationships.pdf (palmbeachpalmcycadsociety.com)

The above link addresses your issue. The article was published in a Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society newsletter.

Your Royal Palm is suffering from Potassium deficiency. It will continue to decline without nutritional correction.