IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crazy Grow Bulb Plan with Coconut Palm

mxcolin

I've been growing a Coconut Palm for about a year that I bought locally. It has been doing really well but I've had to move it to a larger pot, which now has self-watering. I have this crazy idea to put an LED grow-bulb above it to help it grow. My plan was to put an LED grow-bulb in the canned light above it. I have some concerns though:

• Is this dangerous to humans having one of these lights above the plant?
  • Would this even be worth it? There is a south facing window near the plant and generally a decent amount of natural light but not a lot of strong sunlight getting to it.

I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-93101232-Balanced-Spectrum/dp/B07NNT3G7J/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=led+grow+bulb+philips&qid=1610564679&sr=8-10

IMG_7904.thumb.JPEG.a0f8b4149642543694b31555e695b615.JPEG

Sound viable or a dangerous waste of time?

Edited by mxcolin

First:

Self watering pot with a coconut sounds like root rot waiting to happen to me, but I might be wrong so lets see what other more experienced users have to say. @Rickybobby might be able to help you with indoor coconut care. 

Secondly, No, grow lights aren't dangerous to humans and as long as the area and bulb are ventilated well and there is air movement then you shouldn't need to worry too much. 

If there is a grow "bulb" that I would recommend, it would likely be one of the sansi bulbs. 

Example is: https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylight-Spectrum-Sunlight-Greenhouse/dp/B07BRKG7X1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Sansi+grow+bulbs&qid=1610565464&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTVFXUjRMNVBMR1dGJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTA0OTIyWlYwOUhaWjJERFFKJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MTY3MTExR1MwNjY3NTRYQUhKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Or better yet:

https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Non-Dimmable-Floodlight-Warehouse-Supermarket/dp/B07DL84SNK/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=Sansi+grow+bulbs&qid=1610565464&sr=8-20

I've used a lot of grow lights over the years for indoor plants. This is the only brand/bulb type light I would recommend. 

All that having been said, growing a coconut indoors under a bulb... well.... good luck. 

• Like 1

I have about 7 or 8 palms in self watering planters that are doing really well and have been for 2-3 years. Anything specific with the Coconut that would make it more susceptible?

Currently have the same setup for:

• Kentia
  • Cat
  • Fishtail
  • Majesty
  • Lady
  • Pindo

All are healthy and happy.

• Like 1

I personally like the self watering pots. I still top water with them but any excess water drains to the bottom and I can pour it out if I over water 

Ok indoor coconuts. Tough cookie. Self watering. This isn’t a resort in the tropics with temps at 90 degrees. Pots are different from being in the ground. Well draining soil. Up here we use coco coir and perlite. A little fertilizer. Everyone one of my palms has an led grow light and my palm room is always 77f climate controlled. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mxcolin said:

I have about 7 or 8 palms in self watering planters that are doing really well and have been for 2-3 years. Anything specific with the Coconut that would make it more susceptible?

Currently have the same setup for:

• Kentia
  • Cat
  • Fishtail
  • Majesty
  • Lady
  • Pindo

All are healthy and happy.

Would love to see pictures when you have the time. Majesty indoors and happy?

Some are outside and others inside. Majesty is outside and gets a little crispy in the Winter, it's a bit of a risk having it outside but it's worth it for the summer when it looks great.

Areca

Areca.thumb.jpeg.553b7c1d61152de0ee7a68c4b0c3fcdb.jpeg

Cat

Cat.thumb.jpeg.54d86d096bf7b63c29cd4204a9737553.jpeg

Fishtail

Fishtail.thumb.jpeg.82c099ba157ee4cd316bfa1da872c5bd.jpeg

Kentia

Kentia.thumb.jpeg.15552b89377269ba130bfb4a882ac796.jpeg

Lady

Lady.thumb.jpeg.2a864935d119eadf9af6aaaff7bf040a.jpeg

Majesty

Majesty.thumb.jpeg.02267dc9be01f5bc04b590d5d1b6e3af.jpeg