PsyPalm

Kentia seedlings in leca

PsyPalm

I recently picked up a cluster (20-25) of howea seedlings and separated them into numerous small pots and decided to take a shot at growing them in leca.

I wanted to try out a few different semi-hydro pot/container styles since it's my first time growing these in leca and I wanted to see if some things work better than others.  In the picture from left to right we have:

-Lechuza deltini mini filled with lechuza pon and topped with leca

-White ceramic 4" pot with leca in plastic liner

-White ceramic 3" pot with leca in plastic liner

-4" terra cotta pot with leca submerged in marble water reservoir

-Clear 500ml beaker with pure leca, no plastic liner

If anyone has any tips/advice for growing palms in leca (when/what to feed them..) I'm all ears, I'm pretty new to it all.  I'll keep the thread updated on their progress, thanks guys!

IMG_9221.JPG

image.png

image.png

sashaeffer

I did the same with 1 of same species and did just fine for well over a year, but then lost the palm. I don't think it had anything to do with the leca though.

PsyPalm

Good to know, cheers!

JohnAndSancho

Sorta semi related but my local supermarket has Cat palms for $10. I think I'm gonna buy a pot and some LECA and see what happens. I've seen others have good results with Kentias on here, and my other Cat palms love soaking in water anyway. 

PsyPalm

That's funny, just today my local supermarket stocked some really decent sized cat palms, I was thinking about picking one up myself.  At $10 it's hard not to.

• Like 1

JohnAndSancho
1 minute ago, PsyPalm said:

At $10 it's hard not to.

Kroger? Lol 

They had some pretty beefy snake plants too, stuff that usually sells for $30-40. 

PsyPalm

Welp, ended up caving and bought the cat palm haha, couldn't resist one that size for $10.  Freshly potted and cleaned up :D

IMG_9314.JPG

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      Hey guys!  I thought it would be cool to start a thread of grow light setups as well as just people's cool/creative indoor palm arrangements.  I've installed a number of different grow lights in my place and wanted to share with you guys as well as just get a thread of pictures and discussion about what has/hasn't worked for us.  I always love seeing what people do with their indoor space!
      Here's a list of the grow lights I've used: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1UAJP4JW5RVS8?ref_=wl_share  The 75W Bozily ones are the most effective as far as par value, those are the main ones that I use everywhere.  The other ones are less powerful but add a really nice ambiance, the green of the palms against the purple of the spectrum lights hits really nice.
      Excited to see what other people have done, cheers guys!
      Loch

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      I just ordered a couple Bloem Ariana pots and some LECA clay. I'm gonna sacrifice one of my Majesty palms, and my local supermarket has C Cataractarum in 10" pots for $10. Both of these palms are water hogs, so we'll see how it goes. I'll update this thread with pics once everything arrives. 
    • JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      I had initially bought a 1 gallon pot of 4 Kentias from Etsy a few months ago. One of them died on me pretty suddenly, so I split the other 3 up and stuck this one in my office. It's starting to yellow - 

I did carefully detangle the roots. The nursery I bought it from has their own special Kentia soil, but I removed it and it's in a mix of Turface, reptile bark, and Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil at a 1:1:1 mix. 

My office gets a lot more light and is a lot warmer than my apartment was. Should I bring some fish emulsion or Superthrive (already read all the posts, already bought it) to help him out? The little frond in the back is more yellow than the rest, and he's still got some black spots from prior pest damage and shipping. He's definitely a few shades lighter than he was last week though. 

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      Finally got around to splitting up my 3 surviving Howeas. The one in the little white pot is going on my desk at work. I hope I'm not overpotting them too much (all 3 are in 2gallon pots), but I did mix a good amount of turface and fir bark into 2 of them. I also topcoated all of them with turface as well to hopefully prevent fungus gnats from popping up and make things a little more aesthetic. 

Thanks to everyone for all the tips, and please don't judge me for my messy countertop 

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      I potted up my Lyto seedlings in as close to the Pal Meir mix as I could get. I used Monto Clay (yes, i spent too much money) and some Repti Bark at a 2:1 bark to clay ratio. I put them in 6" clay pots and was super careful with the roots because these plants were kind of expensive.....
      How soon should I fertilize or add plant food? They are super tiny, one still had part of the seed attached until I popped it out of the liner pot. I have Carl Pool palm food and Alaska liquid fish fertilizer. I also have a bottle of Super Thrive. I've never opened it but I did place the unopened bottle next to a struggling houseplant and it's since recovered 

I also fixed one of my rookie mistakes on the Cataractarum. I had mixed some fine "top dressing" sand in the soil - welp, the sand all clumped up and clogged all the drainage holes in the pot, so - every time i watered it, it would look normal and then all of a sudden, it flooded out the bottom of the pot. The plant has really been suffering, so I popped the saucer off the bottom, cleaned it all out, and just repotted this one in the potting soil I had on my porch. (Fox Farm Ocean Forest) My other cataractum is in the same soil (with no sand lol) and it's growing like a weed. 

My project for my next day off is to split my 3 Howeas up and give them each their own 2 gal pot. Would the fir bark/super overpriced Turface be a good potting mix for them too? 

Thanks for any support and advice y'all can offer me.