IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

comparing the cold hardiness of Areca catechu vs Areca macrocalx

John of Ponce

I'd like to report an interesting finding. For the last couple of years I have been growing a variety of palms on my patio and pots. I have grown to love the ultra Rich Green that you see in the Areca class of palms.

Recently over Christmas when I was out of town the temperature on my patio got down to 35°. My triple-headed Areca catechu was pretty severely burnt while my double-headedIMG_20210111_194234.jpg.162ceb576272fd7ae987f87f13c5e7e6.jpgIMG_20210111_194206.jpg.1a4eb1cd58326726e169af2bafd23005.jpg Areca macrocalx located right beside my catechu was killed dead outright.

John

I am not surprised. Areca macrocalyx is one of the most cold-sensitive species in the genus and at risk whenever temps fall below 50F. Areca catechu dwarf is supposedly a bit hardier than normal A. catechus although I have my doubts. I have both variations of A. catechu in the ground here in Cape Coral but no hope of ever planting A. macrocalyx and am much farther south than you. I have trouble keeping macrocalyx alive long term in pots. Also, the great size disparity of your Arecas amplifies the difference. Larger palms are better able to survive brief cold dips.

Welcome to PalmTalk. I love the Areca genus too but they are tough to grow outside the tropics.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you so much for responding to my post. That was my first post. Your comments are very helpful and will help guide my palm collecting in the future.

I forgot to mention that i have had Dwarf Areca catechu in the ground on the south side of my home for two years. The recorded temperature for my area was 34° in the microclimate next to my house I'm not exactly sure what was the low temperature, but they never have shown one bit of damage from the cold. They truly look perfect despite cold burning of many of the other of my sensitive palms.

John

You must have a good microclimate. I planted my dwarf and semi-dwarf Arecas this past fall.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

My other Areca genus palms seemed to make it through the 35 degree temp fine as well.

My Areca vesteriaria "Red" and "Orange"  did fine with little burn

PXL_20210115_223416155.jpg