IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aphelandra Aurantiaca?

Dartolution

Does anyone have experience with this plant, or have it in their collection/garden? 
I have been unable to find it, and have been looking for one for over a year. 

Sorry I got nothing but like it! That would be awesome to have in the garden. I thought I saw one of there somewhere for sale....pernellgerver.com. Never ordered from there so no experience.

Unfortunately that website has a lot of negative reviews on several platforms, including the BBB. :-/

Ecuagenera has it listed (though it is the red orange/ dark leaved variety/form ) Question is would it survive the trip from their nursery to your doorstep.   Company is good/ nice people, have done business w/ them when i lived in FL. while attending an Orchid show/sale in Miami.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

I agree that Ecuagenera is a good and long-respected company, I see also that this plant is on their site. They have a very good policy of allowing you to pre-order on their website and then pick up at one of their international shows. Saves so much of the red-tape with phyto etc. if they were to send it to you directly. But since COVID is going on, I can't imagine there are any shows to speak of going on...so you may have to be patient. TopTropicals lists it but not as in stock...you might need to call them and ask. Also you could try Marie Nock (Ree Garden) in Miami. She has all sorts of unusual tropicals but opens her place periodically. You have to get on her email list. Not sure what she's doing due to COVID. She also is at most of the big shows, you could call her and if by luck she has it she would probably bring it to a show. You could also contact Andrea Gardino at Gardino Nursery in Florida. They have a bunch of unusual stuff and I used to buy mail-order from them a lot when I lived in Natchez, I bought Aphelandra hartwegiana from them once (a great plant).

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

7 hours ago, mnorell said:

I agree that Ecuagenera is a good and long-respected company, I see also that this plant is on their site. They have a very good policy of allowing you to pre-order on their website and then pick up at one of their international shows. Saves so much of the red-tape with phyto etc. if they were to send it to you directly. But since COVID is going on, I can't imagine there are any shows to speak of going on...so you may have to be patient. TopTropicals lists it but not as in stock...you might need to call them and ask. Also you could try Marie Nock (Ree Garden) in Miami. She has all sorts of unusual tropicals but opens her place periodically. You have to get on her email list. Not sure what she's doing due to COVID. She also is at most of the big shows, you could call her and if by luck she has it she would probably bring it to a show. You could also contact Andrea Gardino at Gardino Nursery in Florida. They have a bunch of unusual stuff and I used to buy mail-order from them a lot when I lived in Natchez, I bought Aphelandra hartwegiana from them once (a great plant).

On their site ( Ecuagenera ) they have a COVID -related note dictating that any orders made, until the current situation has ended & what shows/sales they attend re-start, they can ship directly to a home address, and that they will handle all import/ Phyto issues.  If i were already in CA. i'd be placing an order for various Orchids they have in stock currently..

Another thing you might consider, ( @Dartolution ) maybe get in touch w/ Lyon Arboretum ( or someone connected w/ them ) in Hawaii and see if they offer ..or know someone who offers/ can ship plants to the mainland. This sp. supposedly grows all over their grounds. ( at least according to a blip from Dave's Garden, for what that site is worth. ) Wouldn't doubt there are PT members nearby/ who might visit so often/ might have it growing in their gardens.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Ecuagenera has it listed (though it is the red orange/ dark leaved variety/form ) Question is would it survive the trip from their nursery to your doorstep.   Company is good/ nice people, have done business w/ them when i lived in FL. while attending an Orchid show/sale in Miami.

@Silas_Sancona Ive seen both those from Equagenera, and Top Tropicals, but neither are the red/yellow plant Ive been looking for. 

7 hours ago, mnorell said:

@mnorell Thanks for the suggestion for Gardino Nursery. I will take a look there. 

I have a hartwegiana as well as a sinclariana and mass produced squarrosa. The aurantiaca is the last on the wishlist and so far as been the hardest to find.