IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Long term potted Mexican Fan Palms - stunted?

BayAndroid

Hey guys, 

I have a question about my Mexican Fan Palms. I planted some from seeds, let's say 15 years ago. They have been in 12-16" pots their whole life and there was a period of time I was away at college and didn't do anything to them. They seem healthy, but I was thinking about planting them in the ground now. Do you think they won't look right or have issues because of their history in pots, or should they grow normally? I also have a queen palm in a pot for a similar amount of time. I bought that one from a box store though. 

Thanks! 

I believe that you should discard these palms and start over with fresh material.   :)

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

I am somewhat with Darold. I think that they will be unlikely to set out roots normally for good long term stability.

However, I would put them in a spot out of the wind somewhere as well as getting something which is not stunted as a long term feature plant.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Early on I tried Washingtonias in a pots; they hated it. That said, there’s nothing to lose by planting it in ground. My guess is that it will adapt. My late uncle “gifted” me a queen palm he’d had in a pot for 15 years or so, a skinny, runty looking thing. I planted it at work and 10 years later it looks like a big normal queen. On the other hand he also gave me a long potted fishtail palm (caryota urens) which never grew taller than about 10 feet before finally flowering. So it’s a mixed bag, but Mexican fans are soo adaptable..

Edited by quaman58
  • Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

If you have a sentimental attachment to these Washies, you may want to consider planting them. Better yet, keep one and discard the others. Best yet, explore the bounty of cooler, more desirable species of palms that can grow in your unique SF climate. Darold can help you with suggestions. Washies and queens are boring and overused.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

If you have a sentimental attachment to these Washies, you may want to consider planting them. Better yet, keep one and discard the others. Best yet, explore the bounty of cooler, more desirable species of palms that can grow in your unique SF climate. Darold can help you with suggestions. Washies and queens are boring and overused.

Yeah, there's a bit of sentimental attachment to them. I can't keep them all, I planted a bunch of them back then. But I almost just want to keep at least 2 and see if they would grow normally. They do seem adaptable, that was my reason for considering it. The rest of them, I should go plant them in a public place like some sort of "palm bandit" or something and watch them grow all incognito like.... 

• Like 2

To be honest I think if conditions are optimal these will grow just fine. The genes have a program and they will meet that if the plant gets what it needs. 

Not exactly apples to apples but I’ve seen many stunted fish once provided an appropriate environment and nutrition they take off in no time and you’d never now they spent a year or two in an immature state. 

23 hours ago, BayAndroid said:

"palm bandit"

Good idea, also known as guerrilla planting.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:13 PM, Chester B said:

To be honest I think if conditions are optimal these will grow just fine. The genes have a program and they will meet that if the plant gets what it needs. 

Not exactly apples to apples but I’ve seen many stunted fish once provided an appropriate environment and nutrition they take off in no time and you’d never now they spent a year or two in an immature state. 

Thank you for this insight. I feel as though it's a good idea to try, since I have them and I think you're probably right. Maybe it won't work out and I just need to have someone remove them... Oh well.