IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Palms Under Snow Today

Collectorpalms

A12F6AA0-F242-44C3-B94A-E611D011DA27.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Looks like a old time picture of the blizzard of .......

cool

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I think I am about to hit my highest snow total here in Texas In 21 years... However, I lived along the south shore of Lake Superior for 4 years before moving here. I don’t miss it. I once drove back to college from Indiana through snow drifts on highway 2 ( the one along the lake) that were as high as my SUV only to find out they had closed the highway due to the blizzard. Moved from Zone 4b to 8b. 

EAB48046-DD4C-4FA9-A487-EFF34982EE82.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 minute ago, Laaz said:

Ice & snow in the crown of those washingtonia's can cause major damage. Good luck, Hope you're not getting too cold.

I'm glad I read this. Should I go ahead and drape a blanket over mine? It is under a covered patio. I'm right down the road from @Collectorpalms

20210110_164459.jpg

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm glad I read this. Should I go ahead and drape a blanket over mine? It is under a covered patio. I'm right down the road from @Collectorpalms

20210110_164459.jpg

I have Pygmy dates sitting in the snow. I wouldn’t worry but you can move it next to wall as close as possible. You have been a few degrees warmer than me all day. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

20210110_164459.jpg

Can you just bring it in overnight or put by house

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Looks like College Station is going to stay above freezing but just barely - hi 35/lo 32. Tomorrow hi 42/lo 29. Warms up after that. Think the palms will be fine.

I can slide it about a foot closer to the apartment. The lights are LED, I just never took them off. I'm not real big on shredding my hands on the teeth. 

20 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Ice & snow in the crown of those washingtonia's can cause major damage. Good luck, Hope you're not getting too cold.

They are a mix of Sabal Palmetto, Sabal Mexicana and washingtonia. What I hate is that Sabal will have flattened fronds for 2-3 years, until they outgrow the old ones. They don’t bounce back like other palms do when it’s melts. 
If winds go calm and skies clear it can drop much lower than forecast. In 2004 Corpus dropped to 22 after a similar event and they are zone 9b.

Edited by Collectorpalms

3 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

What I hate is that Sabal will have flattened fronds for 2-3 years, until they outgrow the old ones. They don’t bounce back like other palms do when it’s melts. 

A lot of Sabals around here look the same after Sally came through. They now have 1 frond sticking up because they have had enough time to produce a frond between September and and now. They look sad though because the rest of the fronds are flattened :/

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

2 minutes ago, Swolte said:

My pindo now (same town!)

Butia snow.jpg

Hit them with a broom. Snow is coming to an end here. Most of my palms are too tall to bother and I don’t have anymore proper winter cloths to stay out more a couple minutes. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I don’t have anymore proper winter cloths to stay out more a couple minutes. 

I put on 3 pairs of sweat pants and 3 hoodies to walk my dog earlier lol

He has no desire to go out in this. 

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Added dog commentary

6 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Bipolar Texas, lol.

I don't know how folks grow palms in those parts.

If you don't like the weather here, just wait 10 minutes lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

If you don't like the weather here, just wait 10 minutes lol 

Oh yeah, Iv'e seen it first hand. My work head office is located in the DFW area, and Ive honestly seen 70's and 30's when traveling there for work in the winter months. Crazytown lol

• Like 1

Rain/Snow mix is now a possibility in downtown Houston according to NWS forecasts, little or no accumulation is expected though.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

44 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Oh yeah, Iv'e seen it first hand. My work head office is located in the DFW area, and Ive honestly seen 70's and 30's when traveling there for work in the winter months. Crazytown lol

Those are tourist numbers lol.

• Like 1