IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The humble Avocado.. Evolutionary anachronism..

Silas_Sancona

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Interesting read regarding Avocados, which also sheds light on other fleshy/ large seeded fruiting plants from the tropics/near tropics..

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-the-avocado-should-have-gone-the-way-of-the-dodo?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Interesting article.

My theory for why the avocado survived is that new world primates became the seed distributors. Primates love fruit and are very messy eaters.

25 minutes ago, amh said:

Interesting article.

My theory for why the avocado survived is that new world primates became the seed distributors. Primates love fruit and are very messy eaters.

Tough to say.. and an interesting question for those who study primates..  Not sure they would disperse seed far from food source trees, esp. since "wild" Avos would have very little flesh compared to what they have now.. Seed is quite toxic to many animals as well.  Other plants, like Papaya, etc with smaller seeds that could be passed/ aren't toxic, imagine primates definitely play a part in dispersal.

• Like 1

Once again, monkeys are very messy eaters who don't necessarily eat at the source. I'm in no way married to the theory, but it is extremely myopic to believe no animals will exploit any available niche.

Also, avocado seeds do not need to pass through a digestive system to germinate.

I've caught my own closed mind by not thinking about bears.

Does anyone know the former southern extent of American black bear or northern range of the spectacled bear?

Edited by amh
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, amh said:

Once again, monkeys are very messy eaters who don't necessarily eat at the source. I'm in no way married to the theory, but it is extremely myopic to believe no animals will exploit any available niche.

Also, avocado seeds do not need to pass through a digestive system to germinate.

They don't, but apparently were helped along after passing through the stomachs by which ever mega fauna consumed them.. Germination of numerous plants are aided/ greatly enhanced by the chemical scarification that occurs in the guts of animals..  They ( critters ) can be be picky in what they'll consume/ favor consuming also.. What might be tolerated by one may kill others or are only consumed during times of absolute need..

Part of the reason Yucca brevifolia is in the predicament it is in currently is because the animal(s) that were most effective at dispersing seed, are extinct, even if a good amount of seed is produced.  Certain pines are extremely dependent on specific Jays to properly move around seed as well.. Birds disappear, so too goes those species, ..even if various rodents/ other birds perhaps in the same habitat/region, might continue to disperse some seed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've had the same questions about seed dispersal of the Sapotaceae family for years. The seeds are often large and toxic, so if there are no large vertebrates to disperse the seed, why are they still around?

Edited by amh
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, amh said:

I've had the same questions about seed distribution of the Sapotaceae family for years. The seeds are often large and toxic, so if there are no large vertebrates to disperse the seed, why are they still around?

Its an interesting question..  At least in Central/ S. America, larger animals like Tapirs/Peccaries might disperse seed of these.. perhaps Wild Avocado as well..  Thinking birds, - that can pass the seeds- might disperse seed from Sapotaceae members like Sideroxylon here in the U.S.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, amh said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your topic.

No worries, was shared for discussion. Figuring out how which plant got where is always interesting..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Its an interesting question..  At least in Central/ S. America, larger animals like Tapirs/Peccaries might disperse seed of these.. perhaps Wild Avocado as well..  Thinking birds, - that can pass the seeds- might disperse seed from Sapotaceae members like Sideroxylon here in the U.S.

I was thinking of larger seeds like some of the Pouteria genus, but yes most seeds are small enough to be swallowed and the exit is always larger than the entrance.

1 minute ago, Silas_Sancona said:

No worries, was shared for discussion.

Yes, but only me so far.:lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Poopin' out an avocado pit would be as bad as passing kidney stones.

Someone ever produces a kidney stone the size of an Avocado seed, there's likely gold in the center.. ( ..or they're the first human to produce Pearls ) Let alone you'll hear then screaming while trying to pass it, from Jakarta.. lol.

• Like 3