IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis hardiness

Marius

Hi Everyone. Which of the following Dypsis is the cold hardiest if any?  I’d really like to try Dypsis and the following ones are available from a grower:

Dypsis ampasindave 5 l 30 -40 cm  

Dypsis cabadea  in 5 l bags                              +- 2 m                    

Dypsis Carl Smithii  in 0.5 l bags                      +-0.4 m            

Dypsis lanceolata   in 5 l bags                          1.8 m                   

Dypsis lutescens  Bamboo palm in 5 l bags   +- 0.5 m             

Dypsis dark mealy bug    in 5 l bags              30 cm                     

Dypsis lucubensis   in 10 l bags                        +- 1.6 m          

Dypsis leptochilos  (teddy bear palm)   in 20 l bags  + - 1.9 m        

Dypsis pembanum  in 5 l bags                          +- 1.8 m           

Dypsis  robusta     in 5 l bags

I just googled your averages for weather.

June and July were mid 20's and August  wast 32'.

If those are averages and on an off year it gets colder, they are toast.

Here I see upper 20's maybe one or two nights a Winter, every three or four years.

That's a long time that cold

The good that I see is it seems to warm up in the daytime, that helps a lot.

It looks like your rainy season is when it's warm.

I would start with the bigger plants.

I would try leptochilos,  lucubensis if price is ok for your budget.

Keep an eye out if Prestoniana becomes available.

Keep us updated including pictures!!

12 minutes ago, Marius said:

Hi Everyone. Which of the following Dypsis is the cold hardiest if any?  I’d really like to try Dypsis and the following ones are available from a grower:

Dypsis ampasindave 5 l 30 -40 cm  

Dypsis cabadea  in 5 l bags                              +- 2 m                    

Dypsis Carl Smithii  in 0.5 l bags                      +-0.4 m            

Dypsis lanceolata   in 5 l bags                          1.8 m                   

Dypsis lutescens  Bamboo palm in 5 l bags   +- 0.5 m             

Dypsis dark mealy bug    in 5 l bags              30 cm                     

Dypsis lucubensis   in 10 l bags                        +- 1.6 m          

Dypsis leptochilos  (teddy bear palm)   in 20 l bags  + - 1.9 m        

Dypsis pembanum  in 5 l bags                          +- 1.8 m           

Dypsis  robusta     in 5 l bags

Hi Marius.  I'm trying to recall what your lows are there, as I recall you are at a high elevation so consequently get some chilly nights during winter.  In my experience if you were to order the ones on your list, probably the Dypsis lutescens would the at the top for cold hardiness, followed by the lanceolata and maybe the lucubensis (which I believe now is lumped in with Dypsis madagascarensis).  I would think the D ampasindave, cabadae, carlsmithii, dark mealy bug and robusta will be toward the bottom of your list, with the others somewhere in between.  You could check in the cold hardiness section for actual temperatures on these to compare against lows in your gardens.  If you can get a Dypsis decipiens that would probably be a good bet for you as well. 

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Dypsis pembana for me has taken down to 28.5F (-3C) with only cold spotting. Provisos: here in FL the winters are dry and usually sunny and days warm up after cold starts. We do not get days and days below 10C or even 20C. We almost never get rain when it is below 10C.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Would Dypsis Decipiens (Manambe) survive?  Palmpedia showing this to be around 18 deg. F...I realize it's not on the list..

Edited by TheMadScientist

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I appreciate it. 
Our winter is dry. Rainfall mainly in summer. 
I have now killed two triangles. I don’t know why they don’t work for me. Dypsis decipiens I’ve been trying to get ( even seed) but to no avail thus far. I keep trying. 
I think I should try leptochilos,  lucubensis, pembana, lutescens, and lanceolata. I’ll plant them under trees and see how they do. 
I’ll send pics when I get them. 

Thanks again 

My Dypsis Pembana did fairly well in our Christmas night freeze, I hit 28F with medium frost.  The top leaves burned but the rest of the palm looks fine.  I suspect it wasn't the temperature that was the problem, but the frost. 

1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

My Dypsis Pembana did fairly well in our Christmas night freeze, I hit 28F with medium frost.  The top leaves burned but the rest of the palm looks fine.  I suspect it wasn't the temperature that was the problem, but the frost. 

That is great news. It shouldn’t get frost under the tree that I plan to plant it under 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. I have just planted Dypsis pembana under some tree canopy on dappled morning sun afternoon shade. I think it will work there. See pics. 

I haven’t gotten to planting the other ( lucubensis, leptocheilos and lanceolata) yet. Will post when I get to them. 701FF5C3-A1DB-4F88-83AE-63F714C969D1.thumb.jpeg.163c2b2dc86a4d01f7a8e5e79d94623b.jpeg

FDA74FDF-494D-4E2A-85AA-6C00465E7C4D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Marius said:

I have just planted Dypsis pembana under some tree canopy on dappled morning sun afternoon shade. I think it will work there

Good placement Marius.  I agree that it will like that sort of light to look it's best.  Hope it does well for you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tracy said:

Good placement Marius.  I agree that it will like that sort of light to look it's best.  Hope it does well for you!

Hi Tracy. Thank you. I will do an update after winter to show how it is doing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. I planted two more of the Dypsis last weekend. D lucubensis and D lanceolata. They are in a bed next to my pool which gets morning sun. There is a bit of overhead canopy from the trees that hang over the wall. I’m hoping that they will work in this spot. 

F12456B7-B7C9-4F0B-8EA6-6C66F8EEC0DF.jpeg

43693632-2C8E-4680-A250-7B338BCA4575.jpeg

04F7AE35-2D7D-4CA0-8170-984106CDF9CB.jpeg

DEBC22B8-64E9-404F-837C-8B14F2775289.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, enigma99 said:

How about dypsis ambositrae? These are absolutely bulletproof for me.

I would love to try it. I just haven’t found one yet. Same with Dypsis decipiens. 

4 hours ago, Marius said:

I would love to try it. I just haven’t found one yet. Same with Dypsis decipiens. 

Be persistent as both of these are beautiful palms.  Based on posts from folks here in the Central Valley of California having great success in regions that get quite cool in winter Dypsis decipiens should do well for you.  If the Dypsis ambositrae are doing well for  enigma99 in Rocklin, CA then you should have a good shot at growing this as well, since winters there can get pretty chilly.  Both are doing well for me as well, so they seem to have some range in what they can tolerate.

20 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Be persistent as both of these are beautiful palms.  Based on posts from folks here in the Central Valley of California having great success in regions that get quite cool in winter Dypsis decipiens should do well for you.  If the Dypsis ambositrae are doing well for  enigma99 in Rocklin, CA then you should have a good shot at growing this as well, since winters there can get pretty chilly.  Both are doing well for me as well, so they seem to have some range in what they can tolerate.

Thanks Tracy. I’ll keep looking. I’d really like to try both. Especially decipiens 

8 hours ago, Tracy said:

Yeah does get cold here. 7 year low here is probably 27 or 28F. More than cold it’s just really cool... this winter’s extreme low was 32. Last year was 30. Yet it’s a lot of days in the 50s and 60s during the winter which can wreck havoc on tropical palms. We don’t get many 70s in December-January 

Edited by enigma99

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Yeah does get cold here. 7 year low here is probably 27 or 28F. More than cold it’s just really cool... this winter’s extreme low was 32. Last year was 30. Yet it’s a lot of days in the 50s and 60s during the winter which can wreck havoc on tropical palms. We don’t get many 70s in December-January 

Your temperatures sound very much like mine. I don’t get winter rain though. I don’t know if that is better or not.