Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Marius

Dypsis hardiness

Recommended Posts

Marius

Hi Everyone. Which of the following Dypsis is the cold hardiest if any?  I’d really like to try Dypsis and the following ones are available from a grower:

 Dypsis ampasindave 5 l 30 -40 cm  

 Dypsis cabadea  in 5 l bags                              +- 2 m                    

 Dypsis Carl Smithii  in 0.5 l bags                      +-0.4 m            

 Dypsis lanceolata   in 5 l bags                          1.8 m                   

Dypsis lutescens  Bamboo palm in 5 l bags   +- 0.5 m             

Dypsis dark mealy bug    in 5 l bags              30 cm                     

 Dypsis lucubensis   in 10 l bags                        +- 1.6 m          

  Dypsis leptochilos  (teddy bear palm)   in 20 l bags  + - 1.9 m        

  Dypsis pembanum  in 5 l bags                          +- 1.8 m           

   Dypsis  robusta     in 5 l bags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomJ

I just googled your averages for weather.

June and July were mid 20's and August  wast 32'.

If those are averages and on an off year it gets colder, they are toast.

Here I see upper 20's maybe one or two nights a Winter, every three or four years.

That's a long time that cold

The good that I see is it seems to warm up in the daytime, that helps a lot.

It looks like your rainy season is when it's warm.

I would start with the bigger plants.

I would try leptochilos,  lucubensis if price is ok for your budget.

Keep an eye out if Prestoniana becomes available.

Keep us updated including pictures!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
12 minutes ago, Marius said:

Hi Everyone. Which of the following Dypsis is the cold hardiest if any?  I’d really like to try Dypsis and the following ones are available from a grower:

 Dypsis ampasindave 5 l 30 -40 cm  

 Dypsis cabadea  in 5 l bags                              +- 2 m                    

 Dypsis Carl Smithii  in 0.5 l bags                      +-0.4 m            

 Dypsis lanceolata   in 5 l bags                          1.8 m                   

Dypsis lutescens  Bamboo palm in 5 l bags   +- 0.5 m             

Dypsis dark mealy bug    in 5 l bags              30 cm                     

 Dypsis lucubensis   in 10 l bags                        +- 1.6 m          

  Dypsis leptochilos  (teddy bear palm)   in 20 l bags  + - 1.9 m        

  Dypsis pembanum  in 5 l bags                          +- 1.8 m           

   Dypsis  robusta     in 5 l bags

Hi Marius.  I'm trying to recall what your lows are there, as I recall you are at a high elevation so consequently get some chilly nights during winter.  In my experience if you were to order the ones on your list, probably the Dypsis lutescens would the at the top for cold hardiness, followed by the lanceolata and maybe the lucubensis (which I believe now is lumped in with Dypsis madagascarensis).  I would think the D ampasindave, cabadae, carlsmithii, dark mealy bug and robusta will be toward the bottom of your list, with the others somewhere in between.  You could check in the cold hardiness section for actual temperatures on these to compare against lows in your gardens.  If you can get a Dypsis decipiens that would probably be a good bet for you as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg

Dypsis pembana for me has taken down to 28.5F (-3C) with only cold spotting. Provisos: here in FL the winters are dry and usually sunny and days warm up after cold starts. We do not get days and days below 10C or even 20C. We almost never get rain when it is below 10C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheMadScientist

Would Dypsis Decipiens (Manambe) survive?  Palmpedia showing this to be around 18 deg. F...I realize it's not on the list..

Edited by TheMadScientist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
necturus

Dypsis decipiens and decaryi are the Dypsis for you, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius

Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I appreciate it. 
Our winter is dry. Rainfall mainly in summer. 
I have now killed two triangles. I don’t know why they don’t work for me. Dypsis decipiens I’ve been trying to get ( even seed) but to no avail thus far. I keep trying. 
I think I should try leptochilos,  lucubensis, pembana, lutescens, and lanceolata. I’ll plant them under trees and see how they do. 
I’ll send pics when I get them. 

Thanks again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merlyn

My Dypsis Pembana did fairly well in our Christmas night freeze, I hit 28F with medium frost.  The top leaves burned but the rest of the palm looks fine.  I suspect it wasn't the temperature that was the problem, but the frost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius
1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

My Dypsis Pembana did fairly well in our Christmas night freeze, I hit 28F with medium frost.  The top leaves burned but the rest of the palm looks fine.  I suspect it wasn't the temperature that was the problem, but the frost. 

That is great news. It shouldn’t get frost under the tree that I plan to plant it under 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius

Hi Everyone. I have just planted Dypsis pembana under some tree canopy on dappled morning sun afternoon shade. I think it will work there. See pics. 
 

I haven’t gotten to planting the other ( lucubensis, leptocheilos and lanceolata) yet. Will post when I get to them. 701FF5C3-A1DB-4F88-83AE-63F714C969D1.thumb.jpeg.163c2b2dc86a4d01f7a8e5e79d94623b.jpeg

FDA74FDF-494D-4E2A-85AA-6C00465E7C4D.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
19 hours ago, Marius said:

I have just planted Dypsis pembana under some tree canopy on dappled morning sun afternoon shade. I think it will work there

Good placement Marius.  I agree that it will like that sort of light to look it's best.  Hope it does well for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius
1 minute ago, Tracy said:

Good placement Marius.  I agree that it will like that sort of light to look it's best.  Hope it does well for you!

Hi Tracy. Thank you. I will do an update after winter to show how it is doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius

Hi Everyone. I planted two more of the Dypsis last weekend. D lucubensis and D lanceolata. They are in a bed next to my pool which gets morning sun. There is a bit of overhead canopy from the trees that hang over the wall. I’m hoping that they will work in this spot. 

F12456B7-B7C9-4F0B-8EA6-6C66F8EEC0DF.jpeg

43693632-2C8E-4680-A250-7B338BCA4575.jpeg

04F7AE35-2D7D-4CA0-8170-984106CDF9CB.jpeg

DEBC22B8-64E9-404F-837C-8B14F2775289.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius

The Dypsis lucubensis has the beginning of a sucker. See first picture 

5BB0CFCC-8030-4A2B-9E43-86A745725282.jpeg

0285E360-1A52-4B40-B6AE-4E59B625C121.jpeg

22FA2A1E-5D8B-424F-9ECD-0AC0FC148CFE.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

How about dypsis ambositrae? These are absolutely bulletproof for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius
6 hours ago, enigma99 said:

How about dypsis ambositrae? These are absolutely bulletproof for me.

I would love to try it. I just haven’t found one yet. Same with Dypsis decipiens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
4 hours ago, Marius said:

I would love to try it. I just haven’t found one yet. Same with Dypsis decipiens. 

Be persistent as both of these are beautiful palms.  Based on posts from folks here in the Central Valley of California having great success in regions that get quite cool in winter Dypsis decipiens should do well for you.  If the Dypsis ambositrae are doing well for  enigma99 in Rocklin, CA then you should have a good shot at growing this as well, since winters there can get pretty chilly.  Both are doing well for me as well, so they seem to have some range in what they can tolerate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius
20 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Be persistent as both of these are beautiful palms.  Based on posts from folks here in the Central Valley of California having great success in regions that get quite cool in winter Dypsis decipiens should do well for you.  If the Dypsis ambositrae are doing well for  enigma99 in Rocklin, CA then you should have a good shot at growing this as well, since winters there can get pretty chilly.  Both are doing well for me as well, so they seem to have some range in what they can tolerate.

Thanks Tracy. I’ll keep looking. I’d really like to try both. Especially decipiens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
8 hours ago, Tracy said:

Be persistent as both of these are beautiful palms.  Based on posts from folks here in the Central Valley of California having great success in regions that get quite cool in winter Dypsis decipiens should do well for you.  If the Dypsis ambositrae are doing well for  enigma99 in Rocklin, CA then you should have a good shot at growing this as well, since winters there can get pretty chilly.  Both are doing well for me as well, so they seem to have some range in what they can tolerate.

Yeah does get cold here. 7 year low here is probably 27 or 28F. More than cold it’s just really cool... this winter’s extreme low was 32. Last year was 30. Yet it’s a lot of days in the 50s and 60s during the winter which can wreck havoc on tropical palms. We don’t get many 70s in December-January 

Edited by enigma99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius
2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Yeah does get cold here. 7 year low here is probably 27 or 28F. More than cold it’s just really cool... this winter’s extreme low was 32. Last year was 30. Yet it’s a lot of days in the 50s and 60s during the winter which can wreck havoc on tropical palms. We don’t get many 70s in December-January 

Your temperatures sound very much like mine. I don’t get winter rain though. I don’t know if that is better or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Awhile back I posted photos of the first surviving crop of seeds from my Dypsis lanceolata. Those seeds are harvested and ready to go to new homes.
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_lanceolata
      This is a clustering Dypsis but only sparsely so. My palm has two stems and is 8-10' tall. It is notable for its unusually long, arched fronds and wide, rippled leaflets. It is closely related to Dypsis pembana and cabadae.
      Dypsis lanceolata fresh seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot
                                                         100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $6.00 in a padded envelope. I cannot ship seeds or plants outside the US. No shipping to HI.
      Payment via Paypal.
      PM me if you are interested
      Photos

       
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I germinated these seedlings several years ago. They are still tiny but hanging in there. I still have dozens of them. I believe they are D. madagascariensis v mahajanga but I need confirmation from a Dypsis afficionado. I got the seeds from @NatureGirl back in 2018 or so. They are maddeningly slow growing as some Dypsis are but are surprisingly resilient. They stay outdoors in the shade year round and get no protection from the elements. I have dozens of them I am looking to sell as I don't have time and energy to keep herding them around.
      Are these D. mad v mahajanga?

    • Dimimelbourne
      By Dimimelbourne
      I have this golden cane palm who I keep indoors in a really bright room. It has grown incredibly fast, more than doubled in the few months I’ve had it. I repotted it perhaps 3 months ago and it looks like it could already use another upgrade! I want to encourage it to keep growing so I’m unsure if repotting it would encourage this or perhaps slow it down? Maybe it’ll focus more on growing roots or the root movement may affect its foliage growth? We’re also coming to the end of the growing season where I am as well.




    • PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      Hey guys!  Last night I separated a few small Areca palms from a larger cluster and potted them individually.  I really like it when my palms aren't super overgrown/clumped together, I keep them very trimmed back and am trying to thin out clumps so you can really appreciate the delicate individual trunks as they start to form. 
      Pics of palm before, after, and of the three smaller seedlings individually potted
      Let me know what you guys think! Cheers
      Loch
       



    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      I don't even remember now, at which So Cal Palm Society meeting auction I bought this Dypsis.  I do recall it was solitary and probably no more than a 1 gallon when purchased.  I dropped it in a shaded spot under a Burretiokentia hapala, probably anticipating it would be a smaller gauge trunk and continue taking advantage of the Burretiokentia's shade.  It has since produced one new subterranean offset from the main trunk.  Any thoughts on which fine leafed Dypsis this is?  Markings on the trunk should be a clue.




×
×
  • Create New...