IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kihei, Maui

OC2Texaspalmlvr

So my family has decided to take advantage of the still cheap flights cause of Covid. So Maui bound we are this coming March. So I wanted to reach out to locals or others that have vacationed in Maui. What botanical gardens are a must see and any nurseries I can visit ? Also I may be able to get a hall pass to island hop to see Floribunda =) Any insight into making my trip a palmy one is appreciated !!

Thank you

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

Go to the Iao Needle for a lovely nature experience. There is a garden on the road to Hanna that is pretty cool as well.

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So my family has decided to take advantage of the still cheap flights cause of Covid. So Maui bound we are this coming March. So I wanted to reach out to locals or others that have vacationed in Maui. What botanical gardens are a must see and any nurseries I can visit ? Also I may be able to get a hall pass to island hop to see Floribunda =) Any insight into making my trip a palmy one is appreciated !!

Thank you

T J 

TJ, are you making a connection in Honolulu?  If so I was told that there are some nice botanical gardens on Oahu (I believe one of the names is Lyon - I'll get the info for you if no one else replies).  Didn't hear much on Maui however.  Sounds like a nice trip!  

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

TJ, are you making a connection in Honolulu?  If so I was told that there are some nice botanical gardens on Oahu (I believe one of the names is Lyon - I'll get the info for you if no one else replies).  Didn't hear much on Maui however.  Sounds like a nice trip!  

Hey Jon 

Not sure about any connecting flights honestly. I believe we have a non stop to Maui but ill check into it. It will be 9 days, so I'm trying to work in a day for Golf and a day for Palms =) 

T J 

Here on the big island the botanical garden and zoo are closed but there are many amazing private gardens that I think for a (palm lover) are way better. If you were thinking of a trip to florabunda make sure you keep in contact with Jeff Marcus. U are more than welcome to pm me if you are planning to come here 

• Like 1

Thanks @John hovancsek I will keep you in mind if I end up doing the island hop. For sure I would reach out to Jeff Marcus before I did. I definitely believe private gardens would be a much better day spent looking at palms. Wouldn't want to impose especially during these Covid times =/ 

• Upvote 1

T J 

Can anyone give me a lil insight about island hopping ? Is it a big pain in the butt ? Should I expect it to be an all day event and is there a cheaper way about doing it haha

Any info would be appreciated!!! 

T J 

T J 

Look up the Ws Merwin Conservancy In haiku Maui it's a preserve Palm Forest . It looks to have an amazing collection of palms. Next time I'm in Maui it's on my to-do list so if you go take some pics and have fun

Thanks  @akamu this is the kinda info I'm looking for =) Unfortunately went to the website and read this :

The Merwin Conservancy is thoughtfully and carefully adhering to current public health mandates from the CDC, the State of Hawai‘i, and the County of Maui due to the presence of COVID-19 in our community. Therefore, we have paused the Open Garden Days program for the foreseeable future.

Figures =( 

T J 

T J 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:50 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Hey Jon 

Not sure about any connecting flights honestly. I believe we have a non stop to Maui but ill check into it. It will be 9 days, so I'm trying to work in a day for Golf and a day for Palms =) 

Hey TJ,

I did a little checking on the AHS website and found the following gardens on Maui:

Maui Nui Botanical Garden - 150 Kanaloa Avenue, Kahului, HI (near the airport) (808) 249-2798 http://www.mnbg.org/

Kahanu Garden -  650 Ulaino Road, Hana, HI (50 miles west of airport) (808) 248-8912 http://www.ntbg.org/

They're likely to have palms but not sure of what you'd see.  The second one in Hana sounds like an adventure - nearly a 2-hour drive from the airport but only 50 miles (30 MPH average speed?).  I think it must be near that property that was advertised for sale here recently.  And yes, the garden I mentioned on Oahu is Lyon and another garden recommended by Colin Peters I added in case you make it to Oahu.  "Hawaiian Air" is an airline you can use to island-hop.  The second website below has links to 4 additional gardens in the area:

Harold L. Lyon Arboretum - 3860 Manoa Road, Honolulu, HI (808) 988-0456 https://manoa.hawaii.edu/lyonarboretum

Hoʻomaluhia Botanical Garden - 45-680 Luluku Rd, Kaneohe, HI (808) 233-7323 http://www.honolulu.gov/parks/hbg/

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, akamu said:

That's a bummer maybe you can sneak in and tell them you were hiking and got lost lol

I actually really like that idea haha B)

T J 

@Fusca Thanks for all the links , its tough trying to figure out what to do or try just by websites. My guess is most of the Hawaii PTers are on the big island. That Maui Nui is really close to where we're staying but doesn't look to be very palm eccentric =( 

T J 

Not necessarily palm related, but you have to drive up Haleakaka Highway to the summit area of Haleakaka National Park.  Just after entering the park, you will find a nature trail at Hosmer Grove.  They have cedar, spruce, pine, eucalyptus, and sandal wood trees that were planted there in the early 1900s.  Almost makes you feel like you are Northern California or something.  Further up at the summit, you can find this really cool native yucca-looking plant called the Haleakaka Silversword (Argyroxiphium sandwicense subsp. macrocephalum).  And the view above the clouds at that alpine level; its like you are standing on another planet.  Here are some pictures I took back in 2004:

HIP1010181 (5).jpg

HIP1010181 (7).jpg

HIP1010181 (20).jpg

HIP1010181 (33).jpg

HIP1010181 (42).jpg

• Like 7

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

I will add that Bill Austin’s garden is very close to Floribunda.  Well worth it to go see.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

2 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

I will add that Bill Austin’s garden is very close to Floribunda.  Well worth it to go see.  

Would love to meet @Bill Austin and his garden, since I have bought many seeds from him already. Im sure there are many other gardens worth visiting on the big island.

T J 

T J 

• 7 months later...

Hey @OC2Texaspalmlvr how was your Maui trip? My wife and I are hoping to go there over Christmas this year (if we can afford it, so expensive!). Any recommendations from when you were there? Nice palmy gardens / parks, beaches, or just general things to do? Of course, we will mostly be there to relax and enjoy the beauty of it all but I would like to sneak some palm nerding into our itinerary too haha.

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

@ShadyDan The trip was amazing , being during covid actually played into our hand as most of the island wasn't that busy. Unfortunately because of covid palm nerding didn't really happen. Of course just driving around the island you get to see plenty of palms. There is a nursery in Kihei that had tons of palms , even Chrystach Renda for sale. We did the Lua in downtown Lahina which was absolutely a must do. Shaka pizza in Kihei is a must have and the Paia fish market is worth eating at everyday =) 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

My wife and I stayed in Kihei…wow maybe 22 years ago. A few notable memories the huge banyan tree in Lahaina, the drive up Haleakala, the drive to Hana. In Kihei itself there was an open air second floor Denny’s and near it there was a taco shop literally I think named Maui tacos. The wife and I ordered and got our food sat at these high tables with stools. Directly in front of us this old white guy with long white beard and LITERALLY nothing on but a cloth around his waist ( where he kept his money I have no idea) sat down to eat. I look up and the wife is crying she’s laughing so hard, she motioned towards grandpa Tarzan whose um…inflorescence was hanging out for everyone to see lol. Random things you see in Hawaii!

• Like 1

@OC2Texaspalmlvr yea Covid... I guess that makes sense that things would be closed. Hopefully things will be all clear by the time I get there. I'll have to check out that nursery, although I'm not sure how I'd smuggle anything back to Canada lol... maybe some seeds. Thanks for the tips!

Lol @teddytn thats too funny. We get enough.... "interesting"... people on Vancouver Island so it shouldn't be too much of a culture shock haha.  22 years later I wonder what that guy is doing now...

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

3 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

@OC2Texaspalmlvr yea Covid... I guess that makes sense that things would be closed. Hopefully things will be all clear by the time I get there. I'll have to check out that nursery, although I'm not sure how I'd smuggle anything back to Canada lol... maybe some seeds. Thanks for the tips!

Lol @teddytn thats too funny. We get enough.... "interesting"... people on Vancouver Island so it shouldn't be too much of a culture shock haha.  22 years later I wonder what that guy is doing now...

Oh there’s some characters floating around on the islands for sure. If that old man is still alive he for sure would need a longer cloth!!!! Lol