IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SE TX Winter Storm

JohnAndSancho

I know that this is nothing for a lot of y'all up north, but it's kind of a big deal here lol. I've lived in Texas for 12 years (actually tomorrow is the anniversary of my migration), and this will be the 4th time I've seen snow - and this will be the most. Hoping to get some good pics of my dog and my Washy in the white stuff, everything else is already inside. 

Capture+_2021-01-08-16-34-28.png

• Like 1

@JohnAndSancho After my migration from the frozen tundra, I hope to never receive such a warning again ;)

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@JohnAndSancho After my migration from the frozen tundra, I hope to never receive such a warning again ;)

I'm 2 hours _tops_ from Houston and moved up here from Tampa. I am not emotionally equipped for this lol

• Like 1

You’re about 100 miles north of me, and that’s still too close. I hope to go the rest of my life without ever seeing another snow flake. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

You’re about 100 miles north of me, and that’s still too close. I hope to go the rest of my life without ever seeing another snow flake. 

I miss Taquiera El Rey so bad 

• Like 1

This must be that cold front that was discussed 3 or 4 weeks ago in a long range discussion. I checked out Weather Underground and Houston/Galveston are cold and crummy for them but certainly do not see any snow were freezing temperatures. It is amazing what 100 miles can mean!

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

There's a surface low pressure forming off the Texas coast induced by the diving upper level low. That is what is bringing the cold air southwards. Now, global models like the GFS and ECMWF tend to overdo the strength of these surface level coastal lows, whereas mesoscale models like the HRRR have stronger correction for that. 

If that's the case, then it would mean that the winter storm event, in reality, would be much farther north, even away from those northern parts of SE Texas. That would result in heavier snowfalls for the DFW area, though.

Edited by AnTonY

On 1/8/2021 at 5:52 PM, kinzyjr said:

Totally unrelated but is Jin Jin Kitchen on Ariana street still open? I ate there 3x a week when I worked in that strip mall lol 

23 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

I'm only 24, and I hope to go my entire life without seeing a flake. Unless I'm on a ski resort.

• Like 1

Careful what y'all wish for....

B)

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Totally unrelated but is Jin Jin Kitchen on Ariana street still open? I ate there 3x a week when I worked in that strip mall lol 

Yes, it is :) .  Just doing take out right now though.  Just went past there earlier today.

Jin Jin Kitchen

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

It looks like they moved a few doors down. I think they only did takeout when I was there (2007-2009), and the cook took "make it extra spicy as a personal challenge. 

• Like 1

The snow in Texas slowly pushed south this morning and has reached Austin where temperatures are just above freezing, 32-34. San Antonio are still in the rain. The snow is not expected to push down into Houston but I can imagine that San Antonio might get a few flakes. The snow in Austin is heavy and wet.

2021snowtx.thumb.jpg.e2d689ba3a817461bdfca8313ada0df6.jpg

Ed in Houston

• Like 1

My weather app says the snow should start around 5pm and now they're predicting 2-5" here in HuntsVegas. 

1 hour ago, Ed in Houston said:

The snow in Texas slowly pushed south this morning and has reached Austin where temperatures are just above freezing, 32-34. San Antonio are still in the rain. The snow is not expected to push down into Houston but I can imagine that San Antonio might get a few flakes. The snow in Austin is heavy and wet.

2021snowtx.thumb.jpg.e2d689ba3a817461bdfca8313ada0df6.jpg

Ed in Houston

If the surface low pressure tracks northward of the modeled forecasts, then the storm will miss Houston entirely (including far north viewing areas). Places like College Station have greater chance of getting hit, while IAH/Montgomery County are close places to watch.

Precip, last I checked, was expected to end before midnight.

1 hour ago, jimmyt said:

This is NW Waco, TX. about an hour ago.  My backyard Tropical Paradise under attack by Mother Nature.

5DB832B6-99F0-4BF1-BAA8-738251208B91.jpeg

Beautiful but devastating.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

The thing is that it's not even a true arctic airmass. Basically, the upper level low + accompanying coastal low was strong enough to advect cooler air from the north.

15 hours ago, JLM said:

Beautiful but devastating.

Tonight (monday) the low will be 25 F here.  Mother Nature is challenging me.