Sign in to follow this  

sandgroper

It's getting a bit ridiculous some of this, we had 20 separate shark sitings along Perth beaches the day before yesterday, not sure about today but some of our best known beaches were closed for most of the day including Cottesloe and Scarborough. Just been talking to one of our friends and her brother in law went to hospital today after a shark attack, only a small one but he still received a bunch of stitches and will be in hospital overnight. Getting a bit out of control, when I worked in the tourism industry overseas tourists were talking about sharks then, we are developing a reputation we don't want - not if we want a tourism industry. 

Kim

Australia has been famously sharky for decades. It's not new, just more people on the planet and more of them going in the water. The sharks live there. It's normal for them to dine or see "what is that thing" in their home.

I am sorry your brother in law got bitten, it's not funny at all. But it is a risk in the ocean, and in certain places on the planet in particular. Example: I read that Reunion Islands are thick with sharks, the kind that take a bite. But in French Polynesia you can dive with them and they pay you no mind. Different strokes for different sharks I guess.

• Like 3

sandgroper
On 1/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, Kim said:

Australia has been famously sharky for decades. It's not new, just more people on the planet and more of them going in the water. The sharks live there. It's normal for them to dine or see "what is that thing" in their home.

I am sorry your brother in law got bitten, it's not funny at all. But it is a risk in the ocean, and in certain places on the planet in particular. Example: I read that Reunion Islands are thick with sharks, the kind that take a bite. But in French Polynesia you can dive with them and they pay you no mind. Different strokes for different sharks I guess.

It has got a lot worse since they shut down the shark fishery here, yes more people in the water but a also more sharks in the water. Incidentally we had another shark attack yesterday, a bloke is in hospital in serious condition. It is all hurting the tourism industry here, apart from covid.