IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Starting a nursery

amh

I've been thinking of starting a backyard nursery. I have adequate space and am zoned for online or wholesale business.

Has anyone here started their own nursery that could give me advice?

My biggest question is about the inspection processes, especially in Texas.

• Like 1

On the business end, start at your town/city licensing dept for business license trade name, fictitious name, or whatever they call it there. It usually takes at least 30 days because of legal notice requirement in local newspaper or whatever and they'll take some of your money. Then they'll explain the process involved for your area, timing of things you'll need to do and point you to county and state dept's that will take more of your money and set you up with tax # etc.  You'll need to decide whether you want to be a sole proprietor, partnership, or an LLC.  If you decide on an LLC there are online companies that will do everything to set up the LLC (for a fee) but you'll still need to go through the process with the city, county, state yourself for licenses and sales tax stuff. You probably won't be allowed to set up a bank account until the trade name is approved and licensing is completed. I've set up new businesses in three different states over many years but not Texas. Might want to contact the county agricultural extension service for help, their website may have tips for you, I know here they do.

• Like 1

Thanks, the business, licensing and taxes are fairly straightforward in Texas. My county website is worthless, but the state site might be helpful.

I'm more interested in inspection and related regulations.

Aaron, you might want to contact the TDA regarding inspections - especially if you plan to sell citrus.  They are very strict about growing citrus for sale and pest/disease control.  I've no experience with this personally, but I did work for TDA for a while.  I'm sure they have contacts for answering specific questions.

https://www.texasagriculture.gov/LicensesRegistrations.aspx

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

22 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Aaron, you might want to contact the TDA regarding inspections - especially if you plan to sell citrus.  They are very strict about growing citrus for sale and pest/disease control.  I've no experience with this personally, but I did work for TDA for a while.  I'm sure they have contacts for answering specific questions.

https://www.texasagriculture.gov/LicensesRegistrations.aspx

Thanks, I've looked at the floral licensing before. I'm still in the thinking about it stage but am seriously thinking about it.

I would not be producing citrus or anything in the Rosaceae family due to fire blight and the citrus diseases.

What did you do at the TDA; if you're aloud to say?

9 hours ago, amh said:

Thanks, I've looked at the floral licensing before. I'm still in the thinking about it stage but am seriously thinking about it.

I would not be producing citrus or anything in the Rosaceae family due to fire blight and the citrus diseases.

What did you do at the TDA; if you're aloud to say?

I'm allowed to say, but I can't say aloud!  :P  I worked in commodity reporting using survey results and other factors to predict crop yields, acres planted, etc.  in Texas.  Some of my commodities included citrus, oats, sunflowers, dairy products and livestock slaughter.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

6 hours ago, Fusca said:

I'm allowed to say, but I can't say aloud!  :P  I worked in commodity reporting using survey results and other factors to predict crop yields, acres planted, etc.  in Texas.  Some of my commodities included citrus, oats, sunflowers, dairy products and livestock slaughter.

That mistake woke me up at 3AM and it was too late to edit.

That seems like an interesting job; does Texas have a decent future?

21 hours ago, amh said:

That mistake woke me up at 3AM and it was too late to edit.

That seems like an interesting job; does Texas have a decent future?

Overall I'd say yes but I haven't looked at the numbers recently.  Hopefully we can get out of this severe drought soon or this coming summer will be very rough!

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

8 hours ago, Fusca said:

Overall I'd say yes but I haven't looked at the numbers recently.  Hopefully we can get out of this severe drought soon or this coming summer will be very rough!

I'm hoping 2021 is wetter than 2020; my area only received 25'' for the whole year.

I'm more worried about development and desertification. 

Please grow Lytos :floor: 

Doomsdave offered me a UPS box full of variety seed if I paid shipping, and I just don't have the space or the friend base to justify that. But I'd eat the cost if I could get a handful of Lyto seedlings in trade. 

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Please grow Lytos :floor: 

Doomsdave offered me a UPS box full of variety seed if I paid shipping, and I just don't have the space or the friend base to justify that. But I'd eat the cost if I could get a handful of Lyto seedlings in trade. 

Anything is possible, but I'd probably concentrate on cold hardy plants. I get way too much rain for a walipini and a traditional greenhouse cost more than I'm currently willing to spend.

• 7 months later...

So, have you started a backyard nursery? I am also thinking about doing the same thing, but I am skeptical about it. I am afraid I won't be able to manage it correctly or that I will not have any customers because of the competition we have on the market nowadays. Actually, I am thinking about starting a great nursery on a 4 hectares ground. I have already made a business plan and all that sort of stuff. I have even called for sturppy.com so they would give me a proper financial model for my startup.

1 hour ago, Pharris said:

So, have you started a backyard nursery? I am also thinking about doing the same thing, but I am skeptical about it. I am afraid I won't be able to manage it correctly or that I will not have any customers because of the competition we have on the market nowadays. Actually, I am thinking about starting a great nursery on a 4 hectares ground. I have already made a business plan and all that sort of stuff. I have even called for sturppy.com so they would give me a proper financial model for my startup.

A great nursery ..bigger or backyard..  is only as good as the person / people running it.. Have the knowledge, and 100% confidence in it when talking shop with people, people will come, ..no matter what competitors are nearby..  ..and don't box yourself into the mind frame of what others are growing ..being the 12th nursery that sells Queen Palms isn't gonna get you anywhere.. Not if you want to aspire to all time great plant person status..

ALWAYS think outside the box, & carve your own path.. Be the grower who has plenty of what most others won't have in stock..   Never fear open and very honest discussions w/ your clients... the kind of discussions most try to avoid, to make themselves look good.  ..and keep your $$ reasonable..  None of this greedy " I'm doing this so i can buy a House, Boat, expensive whatever.. "  kind of motivation.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pharris said:

February still has me spooked, I ended up with close to a 1000 plants stashed around inside my house. I'd need to build a green house that can handle the cold and hurricane like rain and wind.

14 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

A great nursery ..bigger or backyard..  is only as good as the person / people running it.. Have the knowledge, and 100% confidence in it when talking shop with people, people will come, ..no matter what competitors are nearby..  ..and don't box yourself into the mind frame of what others are growing ..being the 12th nursery that sells Queen Palms isn't gonna get you anywhere.. Not if you want to aspire to all time great plant person status..

ALWAYS think outside the box, & carve your own path.. Be the grower who has plenty of what most others won't have in stock..   Never fear open and very honest discussions w/ your clients... the kind of discussions most try to avoid, to make themselves look good.  ..and keep your $$ reasonable..  None of this greedy " I'm doing this so i can buy a House, Boat, expensive whatever.. "  kind of motivation.. 

The lack of local availability is one of the main reasons I'm interested in starting a nursery. A very tiny percentage of my plants have been purchase locally or from inside Texas.