Sign in to follow this  
amh

Starting a nursery

amh

I've been thinking of starting a backyard nursery. I have adequate space and am zoned for online or wholesale business.

Has anyone here started their own nursery that could give me advice?

My biggest question is about the inspection processes, especially in Texas.

• Like 1

NOT A TA

On the business end, start at your town/city licensing dept for business license trade name, fictitious name, or whatever they call it there. It usually takes at least 30 days because of legal notice requirement in local newspaper or whatever and they'll take some of your money. Then they'll explain the process involved for your area, timing of things you'll need to do and point you to county and state dept's that will take more of your money and set you up with tax # etc.  You'll need to decide whether you want to be a sole proprietor, partnership, or an LLC.  If you decide on an LLC there are online companies that will do everything to set up the LLC (for a fee) but you'll still need to go through the process with the city, county, state yourself for licenses and sales tax stuff. You probably won't be allowed to set up a bank account until the trade name is approved and licensing is completed. I've set up new businesses in three different states over many years but not Texas. Might want to contact the county agricultural extension service for help, their website may have tips for you, I know here they do.

• Like 1

amh

Thanks, the business, licensing and taxes are fairly straightforward in Texas. My county website is worthless, but the state site might be helpful.

I'm more interested in inspection and related regulations.

Fusca

Aaron, you might want to contact the TDA regarding inspections - especially if you plan to sell citrus.  They are very strict about growing citrus for sale and pest/disease control.  I've no experience with this personally, but I did work for TDA for a while.  I'm sure they have contacts for answering specific questions.

https://www.texasagriculture.gov/LicensesRegistrations.aspx

• Like 3

amh
22 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Aaron, you might want to contact the TDA regarding inspections - especially if you plan to sell citrus.  They are very strict about growing citrus for sale and pest/disease control.  I've no experience with this personally, but I did work for TDA for a while.  I'm sure they have contacts for answering specific questions.

https://www.texasagriculture.gov/LicensesRegistrations.aspx

Thanks, I've looked at the floral licensing before. I'm still in the thinking about it stage but am seriously thinking about it.

I would not be producing citrus or anything in the Rosaceae family due to fire blight and the citrus diseases.

What did you do at the TDA; if you're aloud to say?

amh
5 hours ago, amh said:

aloud

Allowed.

I'm sorry, too much time around the locals.

Fusca
9 hours ago, amh said:

Thanks, I've looked at the floral licensing before. I'm still in the thinking about it stage but am seriously thinking about it.

I would not be producing citrus or anything in the Rosaceae family due to fire blight and the citrus diseases.

What did you do at the TDA; if you're aloud to say?

I'm allowed to say, but I can't say aloud!  :P  I worked in commodity reporting using survey results and other factors to predict crop yields, acres planted, etc.  in Texas.  Some of my commodities included citrus, oats, sunflowers, dairy products and livestock slaughter.

• Like 1

amh
6 hours ago, Fusca said:

I'm allowed to say, but I can't say aloud!  :P  I worked in commodity reporting using survey results and other factors to predict crop yields, acres planted, etc.  in Texas.  Some of my commodities included citrus, oats, sunflowers, dairy products and livestock slaughter.

That mistake woke me up at 3AM and it was too late to edit.

That seems like an interesting job; does Texas have a decent future?

Fusca
21 hours ago, amh said:

That mistake woke me up at 3AM and it was too late to edit.

That seems like an interesting job; does Texas have a decent future?

Overall I'd say yes but I haven't looked at the numbers recently.  Hopefully we can get out of this severe drought soon or this coming summer will be very rough!

• Like 2

amh
8 hours ago, Fusca said:

Overall I'd say yes but I haven't looked at the numbers recently.  Hopefully we can get out of this severe drought soon or this coming summer will be very rough!

I'm hoping 2021 is wetter than 2020; my area only received 25'' for the whole year.

I'm more worried about development and desertification. 

JohnAndSancho

Please grow Lytos :floor: 

Doomsdave offered me a UPS box full of variety seed if I paid shipping, and I just don't have the space or the friend base to justify that. But I'd eat the cost if I could get a handful of Lyto seedlings in trade. 

amh
1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Please grow Lytos :floor: 

Doomsdave offered me a UPS box full of variety seed if I paid shipping, and I just don't have the space or the friend base to justify that. But I'd eat the cost if I could get a handful of Lyto seedlings in trade. 

Anything is possible, but I'd probably concentrate on cold hardy plants. I get way too much rain for a walipini and a traditional greenhouse cost more than I'm currently willing to spend.