Sign in to follow this  
JubaeaMan138

Hibiscus seed questions.

JubaeaMan138

I was curious if anyone has ever germinated hibiscus seed ? Also how are they pollinated I had a couple late in the season flowers one per plant . Does that mean these must have been pollinated from other plants seeing as each plant only had one flower . Also if that is the case does that mean your flowers will look different on what you germinate ? Here is a picture of one of the pods . 

image.jpg

Silas_Sancona
45 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I was curious if anyone has ever germinated hibiscus seed ? Also how are they pollinated I had a couple late in the season flowers one per plant . Does that mean these must have been pollinated from other plants seeing as each plant only had one flower . Also if that is the case does that mean your flowers will look different on what you germinate ? Here is a picture of one of the pods . 

image.jpg

@Brad Mondel Could answer the germination/ how seed -raised plants might look when they flower, compared to the parent (s) best.. Imagine germinating seed should be easy.. If the pod fully ripens. Have seen Hibiscus do this in the past, only to abort the developing pod later.  Can't remember if any of the Tropical Hibiscus can self- pollinate, or are self- infertile / require pollen from another plant for fertile seed to develop. Bees, Hover flies.. ..Anything.. that is attracted to the flowers for nectar can transfer pollen to to the Stigma ( Stigma = Female part.. Long thingy that sticks out of the center of the flowers )