IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silver Chamaerops in the failing light of evening

DoomsDave

Went out to the garden, in order to seek serenity; and saw the palms mission accomplished!

Show us your silver palms in the light of evening?

Hell any color ...

No flash CA89D7CD-B352-4CCA-8F85-D18080A29883.thumb.jpeg.33c742b91caff4ffeb02959e032db713.jpeg

766BBF34-9BA8-40A6-ABBC-3DBD4127B7BF.thumb.jpeg.211cdefb36ad2d22bb50fc21144e08fa.jpeg

BF4EF88D-CB6D-4A4F-93DE-D39A18233F7E.thumb.jpeg.c1643b920b9ae14a3e144c9ad092394c.jpeg

1AB9AD28-352E-493B-BD72-105CD4BC09F3.thumb.jpeg.0696cec429c821d5052c6a6d02f0a602.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Does green count? D. Lutescens, 2 Majesties, a Washy, and a Queen on my cold and very windy patio. 

Also I am in no rush to pull the Christmas lights off of the very thorny Washy. 

20210106_204541.jpg

• Like 4

Silver palms look great at the edges of the day as they brighten up the yard, green is darkness.  SIlver palms reflect lots of light and when the sun power goes down the reflected portion is more visible than the transmitted portion(chlorophyll absorbs in transmittance.  So bismarckia, silver chamaerops, brahea armata, copernicia hospita, blue bailey and fallaense all glow after sunset andalso on full moon nights IF they are out in the open.  I always enjoyed the waxy fan palms for this reason, whether in arizona or florida, they light up the yard at the edges of the day near sunrise and sunset.   You can slo use spot lights to make them stand out in the dark like sentries in your yard.   there are a few silver feathers that can also reflect light but the small leaflet disperse the light so much its not as dramatic.

• Like 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I have landscape lighting with many of my palms spot lighted.

I prefer the lighting to come on just as the sun sets. It's on a photocell so automatic.

What's interesting (and worthy of a whole new thread) is different approaches to how to light up a particular palm.

Mostly elevating the light to get it up and into the canopy has been my focus on the variations I am experimenting with.

My big D. lutescens for example has two "wall washers" fastened to two of it's trunks about head high and they do a pretty good job of lighting up the canopy of fronds. The reflection of the light outwards and back down provides a wonderful setting after hours - extending the period of time for one to enjoy one's gardens.

Edited by Bazza
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Little A.Tuckeri from you Dave, A.Maxima, a little A.Maxima also from you Dave, and a triple A.Beatricea 

75702F2F-BC08-405C-9B1E-2F422043A7CC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks DD for this. Just ran outside for silver at night, you can most likely easily name the species!

BSS.thumb.jpg.9d976ed7d25ba7229edeb3236232ddf0.jpg

BD.thumb.jpg.0584228c09d6a9f6ec4d910896a4c308.jpg1087389620_NanoRich.thumb.jpg.a87d3561cbf869dbcf012f92fb099b3f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

48 minutes ago, James B said:

Little A.Tuckeri from you Dave, A.Maxima, a little A.Maxima also from you Dave, and a triple A.Beatricea 

75702F2F-BC08-405C-9B1E-2F422043A7CC.jpeg

Not little for long!

21 minutes ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Thanks DD for this. Just ran outside for silver at night, you can most likely easily name the species!

BSS.thumb.jpg.9d976ed7d25ba7229edeb3236232ddf0.jpg

BD.thumb.jpg.0584228c09d6a9f6ec4d910896a4c308.jpg1087389620_NanoRich.thumb.jpg.a87d3561cbf869dbcf012f92fb099b3f.jpg

Panting huff huff 

you tell me huff huff huff 

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Interestingly, I did a test with Google Photo Search app and it got the genus correct on each of those but did not identify the species correct for the Brahea species.

1) Brahea Super Silver

2) Brahea Decumbens

3)Nannorhops Ritchiana

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

37 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Not little for long!

Panting huff huff 

you tell me huff huff huff 

There’s silver under the leaves of those Archontophoenix I swear! Haha

5 years from now I bet they will be towering overhead.

• Upvote 1