Sign in to follow this  
ahosey01

Agathis robusta

ahosey01

Shout out to @Silas_Sancona for turning me on to this tree.

Its a broad-leaf conifer native to Queensland.  San Marcos growers reports significant cold tolerance. An established specimen of theirs took 18F with no damage.

Planted this out from a 15 gallon.  So far, temps are down between 25F and 34F nightly, but back up to 70F+ each afternoon.

Wondering if these could become more popular in cultivation once the hardiness to both heat and cold is better understood.

image.thumb.jpg.2caa58dd24f0683a18781cf03fdf70a9.jpg

• Like 2

Silas_Sancona
27 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Shout out to @Silas_Sancona for turning me on to this tree.

Its a broad-leaf conifer native to Queensland.  San Marcos growers reports significant cold tolerance. An established specimen of theirs took 18F with no damage.

Planted this out from a 15 gallon.  So far, temps are down between 25F and 34F nightly, but back up to 70F+ each afternoon.

Wondering if these could become more popular in cultivation once the hardiness to both heat and cold is better understood.

image.thumb.jpg.2caa58dd24f0683a18781cf03fdf70a9.jpg

For most small yards, these will get too large.. or intimidate the heck out of some people once they're towering high above..  Ideal for parks / larger estates though. Question, at least here, is how well they'll tolerate our unique flavor of summer heat/ lack of rain/ low humidity.  Story behind moving the specimen at the Huntington is pretty interesting.

Selby Botanical's Agathis r. Sarasota, FL.  2/27/16:
DSCN0349.thumb.JPG.3e82d80a310d22f177a7591911fd6fc4.JPG

ahosey01
12 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

For most small yards, these will get too large.. or intimidate the heck out of some people once they're towering high above..  Ideal for parks / larger estates though. Question, at least here, is how well they'll tolerate our unique flavor of summer heat/ lack of rain/ low humidity.  Story behind moving the specimen at the Huntington is pretty interesting.

Selby Botanical's Agathis r. Sarasota, FL.  2/27/16:
DSCN0349.thumb.JPG.3e82d80a310d22f177a7591911fd6fc4.JPG

Yeah - this is going to be a big boy.

Currently, it's partially under the canopy of a 40ft Fraxinus pennsylvanica.  Eventually, I'm gonna have to whack back some larger branches on the ash to let this thing grow up and through.

That - or I'll be dead by that point and my kids will have to do it.  LOL.

Austinpalm

Good luck.  I tried Agathis robusta in Austin, TX about 5 years ago.  Received a beautiful 2-3 foot seedlings from a well known mail order company.  Planted it in shade and it promptly died. Not sure if it was our alkaline soil or our summer heat and humidity.  Very cool plant. 

I had the same luck with Wollemia.  Bunya Bunya did well until a hard winter though.

Edited by Austinpalm

ahosey01
4 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

Good luck.  I tried Agathis robusta in Austin, TX about 5 years ago.  Received a beautiful 2-3 foot seedlings from a well known mail order company.  Planted it in shade and it promptly died. Not sure if it was our alkaline soil or our summer heat and humidity.  Very cool plant. 

I had the same luck with Wollemia.  Bunya Bunya did well until a hard winter though.

It seems strange that it would have been the heat, given that they're native to a very hot part of Queensland.  I planted it in some tremendous soil with a neutral PH, so - fingers crossed.

I'm going to erect a shade structure and allow the tree to grow upward into the unprotected sun.

robertdowney1

Field Service Management has a crucial role in maintaining Network Field Engineer as they are responsible for planning, installing, testing, and maintaining the equipment to run a proper communication network. Their general duties include the maintenance and repair of equipment and construction of towers to ensure optimal performance. A telecom engineer’s job involves the use of various tools such as interconnect devices, network facilities, and radios. A field engineer also works with engineers from other fields for equipment installation and then report to the upper management.

Botanicus

I have one planted at my place [zone8-9ish], it has been in the ground a few years and is about 10' tall now. The new growth got burned at around 25F this winter, but otherwise it has been doing well.

• Like 1

edbrown_III

love this t ree --- rooting a cutting to grow here in Jax ----- I have a big Bunya Buny and a Hoop Pine in the yards as well as the Brasilian Araucaria angustifolium