IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Agathis robusta

ahosey01

Shout out to @Silas_Sancona for turning me on to this tree.

Its a broad-leaf conifer native to Queensland.  San Marcos growers reports significant cold tolerance. An established specimen of theirs took 18F with no damage.

Planted this out from a 15 gallon.  So far, temps are down between 25F and 34F nightly, but back up to 70F+ each afternoon.

Wondering if these could become more popular in cultivation once the hardiness to both heat and cold is better understood.

image.thumb.jpg.2caa58dd24f0683a18781cf03fdf70a9.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Shout out to @Silas_Sancona for turning me on to this tree.

Its a broad-leaf conifer native to Queensland.  San Marcos growers reports significant cold tolerance. An established specimen of theirs took 18F with no damage.

Planted this out from a 15 gallon.  So far, temps are down between 25F and 34F nightly, but back up to 70F+ each afternoon.

Wondering if these could become more popular in cultivation once the hardiness to both heat and cold is better understood.

image.thumb.jpg.2caa58dd24f0683a18781cf03fdf70a9.jpg

For most small yards, these will get too large.. or intimidate the heck out of some people once they're towering high above..  Ideal for parks / larger estates though. Question, at least here, is how well they'll tolerate our unique flavor of summer heat/ lack of rain/ low humidity.  Story behind moving the specimen at the Huntington is pretty interesting.

Selby Botanical's Agathis r. Sarasota, FL.  2/27/16:
DSCN0349.thumb.JPG.3e82d80a310d22f177a7591911fd6fc4.JPG

12 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

For most small yards, these will get too large.. or intimidate the heck out of some people once they're towering high above..  Ideal for parks / larger estates though. Question, at least here, is how well they'll tolerate our unique flavor of summer heat/ lack of rain/ low humidity.  Story behind moving the specimen at the Huntington is pretty interesting.

Selby Botanical's Agathis r. Sarasota, FL.  2/27/16:
DSCN0349.thumb.JPG.3e82d80a310d22f177a7591911fd6fc4.JPG

Yeah - this is going to be a big boy.

Currently, it's partially under the canopy of a 40ft Fraxinus pennsylvanica.  Eventually, I'm gonna have to whack back some larger branches on the ash to let this thing grow up and through.

That - or I'll be dead by that point and my kids will have to do it.  LOL.

Good luck.  I tried Agathis robusta in Austin, TX about 5 years ago.  Received a beautiful 2-3 foot seedlings from a well known mail order company.  Planted it in shade and it promptly died. Not sure if it was our alkaline soil or our summer heat and humidity.  Very cool plant. 

I had the same luck with Wollemia.  Bunya Bunya did well until a hard winter though.

Edited by Austinpalm

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

4 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

Good luck.  I tried Agathis robusta in Austin, TX about 5 years ago.  Received a beautiful 2-3 foot seedlings from a well known mail order company.  Planted it in shade and it promptly died. Not sure if it was our alkaline soil or our summer heat and humidity.  Very cool plant. 

I had the same luck with Wollemia.  Bunya Bunya did well until a hard winter though.

It seems strange that it would have been the heat, given that they're native to a very hot part of Queensland.  I planted it in some tremendous soil with a neutral PH, so - fingers crossed.

I'm going to erect a shade structure and allow the tree to grow upward into the unprotected sun.

Field Service Management has a crucial role in maintaining Network Field Engineer as they are responsible for planning, installing, testing, and maintaining the equipment to run a proper communication network. Their general duties include the maintenance and repair of equipment and construction of towers to ensure optimal performance. A telecom engineer’s job involves the use of various tools such as interconnect devices, network facilities, and radios. A field engineer also works with engineers from other fields for equipment installation and then report to the upper management.

I have one planted at my place [zone8-9ish], it has been in the ground a few years and is about 10' tall now. The new growth got burned at around 25F this winter, but otherwise it has been doing well.

• Like 1

love this t ree --- rooting a cutting to grow here in Jax ----- I have a big Bunya Buny and a Hoop Pine in the yards as well as the Brasilian Araucaria angustifolium 

• 6 months later...

Update - will post photos later - but the tree is pushing a ton of new growth and looks unphased after two weeks of 110-115 temps.  It has a funky lean to the main trunk, which you can find in a separate post, but I'll post a shot of the whole thing shortly.

• 4 months later...

Kathy Musial has written a nice blog post about The USA's biggest Agathis robusta, at the Huntington Botanical Garden, with the history of its improbably successful transplanting back when Huntington began building his mansion:

https://www.huntington.org/verso/2021/11/seeing-forest-trees

• Like 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

• 3 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 9:25 AM, Austinpalm said:

Can I ask where you bought it from? I’d like to try this tree.