IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida Freeze Watch: Jan-Feb 2021

Matthew92

Screenshots taken from around 6:30-7:15am. Escambia to Walton Counties. Arctic air was moving due East. As mentioned before, due to this being an advective event and the cold air not coming from the N/NW,  normal microclimates like Gulf Breeze got about as cold as the mainland in Pensacola. And as seen in Okaloosa and Walton counties, the arctic airmass didn't advance far East enough- otherwise similar temps as Escambia would have occurred. In fact, going East towards Bay county is where the freezing line stopped at. 

548930335_cold1.JPG.65c060d1f5f8458d913b29de52471c9a.JPG

357663825_cold2.JPG.e33a95919915f92c34992a3250a14cf1.JPG

1381142093_cold5.JPG.41e8ce6150a7cc762ccb2093800a6626.JPG

42060426_cold6.JPG.8645cde04bce3cf8fa349479fe5e51b7.JPG

1120902938_cold7.JPG.cffc11e7553d941c131c5c3f33643270.JPG

1285078097_cold8.JPG.b6e4174c1998ff2d84534eaada9705e7.JPG

106205353_cold9.JPG.204d984ddb625c69f30fa9f4f6aaed3c.JPG

204678481_cold10.JPG.98f80ba9fb15bc1573cb35c5258c1e6c.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Winter might jut have a little gas left in the tank..

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

3 minutes ago, JLM said:

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more..  Enough is enough already.

• Like 1

I think winter is over for us on the Peninsula of Florida.

I could be wrong, we have had freezes in Central Florida in the last half of February and even in March, but I doubt it is happening this year.

-Michael

Hopefully if we do get another freeze it will be light and that will be the end. The maples are already flowering. I question the identity of the maple in my yard, it didnt bloom out until almost May of last year, Lowe's or whoever did the tag for it may have mislabeled it? 

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

4 minutes ago, JLM said:

Hopefully if we do get another freeze it will be light and that will be the end. The maples are already flowering. I question the identity of the maple in my yard, it didnt bloom out until almost May of last year, Lowe's or whoever did the tag for it may have mislabeled it? 

Can you post of photo of it?  I should be able to ID it.

-Michael

• Like 1

5 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I think winter is over for us on the Peninsula of Florida.

I could be wrong, we have had freezes in Central Florida in the last half of February and even in March, but I doubt it is happening this year.

-Michael

Hopefully that is true, but that is what people in Texas said.  After what has happened this winter, never say never.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Latest:

And it's not just places like Texas seeing unusual cold/snow either:

Jerusalem..

Athens, Greece..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Can you post of photo of it?  I should be able to ID it.

-Michael

I'll see about getting some tomorrow. This thing hasnt started blooming yet, if it does what it did last year it will be a while before that happens.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

Latest:

And it's not just places like Texas seeing unusual cold/snow either:

Jerusalem..

Athens, Greece..

Wow,  Jerusalem looks beautiful with a coating of snow.  I remember seeing them on the news having snow before.

-Michael

9 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

Wow,  Jerusalem looks beautiful with a coating of snow.  I remember seeing them on the news having snow before.

-Michael

Definitely not unheard of but pretty crazy.. There was another tweet regarding snowfall in Saudi Arabia as well.. Rare as that is, northwestern part of the country sees the white stuff often enough also.. Makes for great pictures no doubt.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:12 AM, Palmaceae said:

never say never.

Sounds like the title of a well-known music single. Coincidentally, the singer is Canadian...

Really wish i knew whether this is the real beginning of Spring or not. Looks like below average temps going into early March. I guess we shall see.

sprng.PNG

New as of today: I have Iris blooms.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Got very chilly this morning. From checking weather stations in the area, it looks like solid upper and even mid 30's in towns along the northern bay. Too windy for frost. Don't mind it too much. Plenty of heat coming for the year. 10 day forecast has nothing above 80. Fine with me. Still throws me off a little after living in Orlando the last two years. I don't miss the frequent spells of almost 90 degree weather throughout Nov-April...

2095314409_April22021.JPG.9fd2bce5cfe53754ba5ebebd979405c2.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

Got very chilly this morning. From checking weather stations in the area, it looks like solid upper and even mid 30's in towns along the northern bay. Too windy for frost. Don't mind it too much. Plenty of heat coming for the year. 10 day forecast has nothing above 80. Fine with me. Still throws me off a little after living in Orlando the last two years. I don't miss the frequent spells of almost 90 degree weather throughout Nov-April...

2095314409_April22021.JPG.9fd2bce5cfe53754ba5ebebd979405c2.JPG

Got down to 38F here lastnight, no frost. Frost likely tonight, forecasted low of 37F for tonight and no wind. Covered up some stuff that has new growth, letting citrus go on its own though, dont really have anything big enough to cover it up. I dont really enjoy anything above 85F, but i hate anything below 50F, so i really cant live anywhere and be happy about temps lol
I have low 80's in the forecast for both Wednesday and Thursday.

51.1F this morning.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

34 deg here this morning. :wacko: Patchy frost. Heavy on my windshield though. Couldn't see out of it going to work and had to "de-ice" it. Weird doing that in April. Although this really isn't unusual to have a cold snap like this late March/early April. Moved in all my seed sprouting projects. A few twigs of new citrus growth look wilted. Flowers/developing fruits look to have held on thankfully.

It's odd though because as soon as the sun comes up, it feels like late spring. Potted plants are drying out quickly with the low humidity, lack of clouds, and wind. Thankfully there's more than one day of rain showing up in the 10 day forecast. I'm weary of the dreaded 1+ month spring drought that seems to happen some years.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

It's odd though because as soon as the sun comes up, it feels like late spring. Potted plants are drying out quickly with the low humidity, lack of clouds, and wind. Thankfully there's more than one day of rain showing up in the 10 day forecast. I'm weary of the dreaded 1+ month spring drought that seems to happen some years.

The last couple of springs have been really dry here as well.  It makes it difficult to keep up with things until mid-late May.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 4/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, Matthew92 said:

34 deg here this morning. :wacko: Patchy frost. Heavy on my windshield though. Couldn't see out of it going to work and had to "de-ice" it. Weird doing that in April. Although this really isn't unusual to have a cold snap like this late March/early April. Moved in all my seed sprouting projects. A few twigs of new citrus growth look wilted. Flowers/developing fruits look to have held on thankfully.

Based on the way everything looks, i didnt have frost here. Dont remember what the temp got down to here but it was above forecast.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I was reviewing the winter data posted on archived data. I was searching to see how cooler the winter actually was, because this summer has averaged 10+ degrees cooler than usual with the heat index. And I recall telling my wife we were seeing daily temperatures 10-15 degrees below average throughout the whole winter. To my surprise, all their data was different, showing 48 as the lowest overnight temperature on their records, and then the global warming feedback at the bottom. They are intentionally altering the data. I am going to begin keeping a log of our daily temperatures. We had 1 day that the high was 41, as I had to run an excavator with no heat, and remember it dearly. Thankfully I found this feed, as it was extremely hard to find any proof on the internet that temperatures even came close to the 30’s, it’s horrible and tyrannical government manipulation.