Jump to content
Matthew92

Florida Freeze Watch: Jan-Feb 2021

Recommended Posts

Matthew92

Screenshots taken from around 6:30-7:15am. Escambia to Walton Counties. Arctic air was moving due East. As mentioned before, due to this being an advective event and the cold air not coming from the N/NW,  normal microclimates like Gulf Breeze got about as cold as the mainland in Pensacola. And as seen in Okaloosa and Walton counties, the arctic airmass didn't advance far East enough- otherwise similar temps as Escambia would have occurred. In fact, going East towards Bay county is where the freezing line stopped at. 

548930335_cold1.JPG.65c060d1f5f8458d913b29de52471c9a.JPG

357663825_cold2.JPG.e33a95919915f92c34992a3250a14cf1.JPG

1381142093_cold5.JPG.41e8ce6150a7cc762ccb2093800a6626.JPG

42060426_cold6.JPG.8645cde04bce3cf8fa349479fe5e51b7.JPG

1120902938_cold7.JPG.cffc11e7553d941c131c5c3f33643270.JPG

1285078097_cold8.JPG.b6e4174c1998ff2d84534eaada9705e7.JPG

106205353_cold9.JPG.204d984ddb625c69f30fa9f4f6aaed3c.JPG

204678481_cold10.JPG.98f80ba9fb15bc1573cb35c5258c1e6c.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona

 Winter might jut have a little gas left in the tank..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JLM
5 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

 Winter might jut have a little gas left in the tank..

 

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
3 minutes ago, JLM said:

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more..  Enough is enough already.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl

I think winter is over for us on the Peninsula of Florida.

I could be wrong, we have had freezes in Central Florida in the last half of February and even in March, but I doubt it is happening this year.

-Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JLM

Hopefully if we do get another freeze it will be light and that will be the end. The maples are already flowering. I question the identity of the maple in my yard, it didnt bloom out until almost May of last year, Lowe's or whoever did the tag for it may have mislabeled it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl
4 minutes ago, JLM said:

Hopefully if we do get another freeze it will be light and that will be the end. The maples are already flowering. I question the identity of the maple in my yard, it didnt bloom out until almost May of last year, Lowe's or whoever did the tag for it may have mislabeled it? 

Can you post of photo of it?  I should be able to ID it.

-Michael

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae
5 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I think winter is over for us on the Peninsula of Florida.

I could be wrong, we have had freezes in Central Florida in the last half of February and even in March, but I doubt it is happening this year.

-Michael

Hopefully that is true, but that is what people in Texas said.  After what has happened this winter, never say never.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona

Latest:


And it's not just places like Texas seeing unusual cold/snow either:

Jerusalem..

Athens, Greece..

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JLM
15 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Can you post of photo of it?  I should be able to ID it.

-Michael

I'll see about getting some tomorrow. This thing hasnt started blooming yet, if it does what it did last year it will be a while before that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl
On 2/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

Latest:


And it's not just places like Texas seeing unusual cold/snow either:

Jerusalem..

Athens, Greece..

 

Wow,  Jerusalem looks beautiful with a coating of snow.  I remember seeing them on the news having snow before.

-Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
9 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

Wow,  Jerusalem looks beautiful with a coating of snow.  I remember seeing them on the news having snow before.

-Michael

Definitely not unheard of but pretty crazy.. There was another tweet regarding snowfall in Saudi Arabia as well.. Rare as that is, northwestern part of the country sees the white stuff often enough also.. Makes for great pictures no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnTonY
On 2/18/2021 at 9:12 AM, Palmaceae said:

never say never.

Sounds like the title of a well-known music single. Coincidentally, the singer is Canadian...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JLM

Really wish i knew whether this is the real beginning of Spring or not. Looks like below average temps going into early March. I guess we shall see.

sprng.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JLM

New as of today: I have Iris blooms.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew92

Got very chilly this morning. From checking weather stations in the area, it looks like solid upper and even mid 30's in towns along the northern bay. Too windy for frost. Don't mind it too much. Plenty of heat coming for the year. 10 day forecast has nothing above 80. Fine with me. Still throws me off a little after living in Orlando the last two years. I don't miss the frequent spells of almost 90 degree weather throughout Nov-April...

2095314409_April22021.JPG.9fd2bce5cfe53754ba5ebebd979405c2.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JLM
2 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

Got very chilly this morning. From checking weather stations in the area, it looks like solid upper and even mid 30's in towns along the northern bay. Too windy for frost. Don't mind it too much. Plenty of heat coming for the year. 10 day forecast has nothing above 80. Fine with me. Still throws me off a little after living in Orlando the last two years. I don't miss the frequent spells of almost 90 degree weather throughout Nov-April...

2095314409_April22021.JPG.9fd2bce5cfe53754ba5ebebd979405c2.JPG

Got down to 38F here lastnight, no frost. Frost likely tonight, forecasted low of 37F for tonight and no wind. Covered up some stuff that has new growth, letting citrus go on its own though, dont really have anything big enough to cover it up. I dont really enjoy anything above 85F, but i hate anything below 50F, so i really cant live anywhere and be happy about temps lol
I have low 80's in the forecast for both Wednesday and Thursday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg

51.1F this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew92

34 deg here this morning. :wacko: Patchy frost. Heavy on my windshield though. Couldn't see out of it going to work and had to "de-ice" it. Weird doing that in April. Although this really isn't unusual to have a cold snap like this late March/early April. Moved in all my seed sprouting projects. A few twigs of new citrus growth look wilted. Flowers/developing fruits look to have held on thankfully.

It's odd though because as soon as the sun comes up, it feels like late spring. Potted plants are drying out quickly with the low humidity, lack of clouds, and wind. Thankfully there's more than one day of rain showing up in the 10 day forecast. I'm weary of the dreaded 1+ month spring drought that seems to happen some years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
17 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

It's odd though because as soon as the sun comes up, it feels like late spring. Potted plants are drying out quickly with the low humidity, lack of clouds, and wind. Thankfully there's more than one day of rain showing up in the 10 day forecast. I'm weary of the dreaded 1+ month spring drought that seems to happen some years.

The last couple of springs have been really dry here as well.  It makes it difficult to keep up with things until mid-late May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JLM
On 4/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, Matthew92 said:

34 deg here this morning. :wacko: Patchy frost. Heavy on my windshield though. Couldn't see out of it going to work and had to "de-ice" it. Weird doing that in April. Although this really isn't unusual to have a cold snap like this late March/early April. Moved in all my seed sprouting projects. A few twigs of new citrus growth look wilted. Flowers/developing fruits look to have held on thankfully.

It's odd though because as soon as the sun comes up, it feels like late spring. Potted plants are drying out quickly with the low humidity, lack of clouds, and wind. Thankfully there's more than one day of rain showing up in the 10 day forecast. I'm weary of the dreaded 1+ month spring drought that seems to happen some years.

Based on the way everything looks, i didnt have frost here. Dont remember what the temp got down to here but it was above forecast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...